AuthorTopic: V8 Conversion  (Read 783 times)

Offline Begbie

• Attack: 100
    Defense: 100
    Attack Member
  • Referrals: 0
V8 Conversion
« on: March 03, 2008, 12:09:22 »
My 1987 110 has a 2.5 petrol motor in it at the moment.  Not being the most powerful engines, plus the fact that my new Insa Turbo's have increased the gearing by about 10%, the car now struggles a bit up hills etc.  As I have always wanted to convert it to a V8, I was wondering if anyone on this forum had done a similar conversion?  Could you please give me some pointers/advise etc.  Is it best to transplant a V8 engine and gearbox from a donor vehicle?  Should I go for a V8 with carbs, or can I use a 3.9 Efi motor? A lot of v8's that I see advertised have automatic transmissions, but I am not keen on using an auto box.  Lastly, how difficult is the conversion?  Is it something that I could do in my garage with basic tools and skills (with the addition of an engine hoist.  Or as I probably don't have the necessary tools, skills or patience, can anyone recommend where I could get the conversion done.  Preferably towards the South East.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Begbie

Offline Range Rover Blues

Attack Member
    • South Yorkshire
Re: V8 Conversion
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2008, 17:25:47 »
The v8 is a lovely motor if you can put fuel in it.

Auto vs manual, well I'm a convert, I used to hate autos but on the back of a big V8 they handle the power very well.  Your poblem will be getting the right box to fit your truck, the RRC/Disco box is too long for a Defender.

Unless you want oodles of power then a 3.5 on carbs will do the job nicely, you'll really like the extra power compeared to the 2.5.

For more power go to a 3.9 EFi, or a 4.2 for even more grunt if you can find a good one.

BUT, IIRC you will find that the driver's side exhaust manifold fill not fit, it's very close and only 1 type fits, the single downpipe one.  So unless you can get a performance DEFENDER system then your power will be limited a bit, and the exhaust was one of the reasons the EFi had more power.  On the 3.9 it's an even biger system plus a more agressive cam.  Fit the 3.9 cam to a 3.5 for about 10 horses.

3.9s are getting the reputation for slipped liners, unfounded I think as I've never seen one, but the 3.5 block has more meat in it and as a result is by far the most reliable block, plus S/H ones are so cheap.

EFi, well TBH you'll wnat LPG, the hot-wire (3.9) EFi system is the one to go for, more sophisticated and with diagnostics, it's also easier to convert to LPG than carbs unless you cut corners.

As for doing it yourself, get stuck in.  LRs are just big boy's Mechano ;)
Blue,  1988  Range Rover 3.5 EFi with plenty of toys bolted on
Chuggaboom, 1995 Range Rover Classic
1995 Range Rover Classic Vogue LSE with 5 big sticks of Blackpool rock under the bonnet.

Offline wheeler

Attack Member
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2008, 18:37:53 »
i just put a v8 in mine used 4 speed box auto and mines on carbs
and yes it goes well

Offline discodug

Attack Member
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2008, 18:49:46 »
Hi i have done this but with out autobox. fairly straight forward job. Just work from the gearbox mounts forward.You will have to move the engine mounts forward. I have 3.9 exhaust manifolds and downpipes on my 3.5 v8 and they fitted easy. if i was keeping it then i would put a 3.9 cam in it then maybe EFI instead of carbs.

Regards
Simon
« Last Edit: March 03, 2008, 18:51:43 by discodug »

Offline McSwerve

Attack Member
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2008, 13:51:25 »
Mine was a TD originally and has a RRC 3.5 v8 on carbs (I think), and was done by the guy I bought it off.

He moved the engine mounting (presumably to fit the box) and fabricated a Stainless Exhaust that sounds great.

Goes like stink!

Offline Begbie

Attack Member
« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2008, 23:04:31 »
Thanks to all for the advice, but I have decided to take the easy route out.  I have just bought a 1991 Discovery V8i.  I would love to have converted the 110, but I couldn't see me ever getting around to it because of the hassle.  I will be very sad to see the 110 go when I finally sell it.  It's a proper Land Rover!  It is going to take a while before I consider the Disco to be a proper Landy, but it will grow on me.  I am going to fit a new steering box, get a new MOT, and tax the 110 before putting it on the market.

Attack Member
    • South Yorkshire
« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2008, 07:06:48 »
The Dsico is every bit as capable as the 110 in the rough, after all they are both based on the class-leading RRC, the daddy of all SUVs ;)
1995 Range Rover Classic Vogue LSE with 5 big sticks of Blackpool rock under the bonnet.

Offline Begbie

Attack Member
« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2008, 13:02:12 »
Yeah I agree. The Disco is very capable.  Just call me old fashioned, but my heart still lies with the old workhorse.

Attack Member
    • South Yorkshire
« Reply #8 on: March 08, 2008, 05:24:14 »
It'll get under your skin soon enough ;)

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal