AuthorTopic: Wobbling crank shaft pully!  (Read 3059 times)

Offline Jonny Boaterboy

• Attack: 100
    Defense: 100
    Attack Member
  • Referrals: 0
Wobbling crank shaft pully!
« on: March 01, 2008, 22:24:23 »
I have a wobble on my crank shaft pulley on a V8 3.9 which I noticed after changing the timing chain and wheels. I thought it was a problem and have spent £55 on getting a replacement. (not put on yet) I have just had a look on my mates P38 V8 and his is worse than mine...... If any of you would mind just having a look and see if yours is a bit off the mark! I would be very greatfull! You can see it with a bright torch by looking down past the radiator.... or if you are really keen lie on your back stick your head just under and you will be able to see the pulley and damper and whether or not they are wobbling! Thanks all 

ben_haynes

Re: Wobbling crank shaft pully!
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2008, 00:09:55 »
they should not wobble at all!!!

have you tightened up the bolt correctly?

did you fit the pully with the woodruff key fitted correctly? as this could cause a wobble!

Offline Jonny Boaterboy

Attack Member
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2008, 01:37:36 »
The pulley is on straight as it slid on and off very smoothly. The bolt is done up tight but not too 280 Nm as it should be...... the wobble isn't massive it's just not perfect! if you rev the engine with the increased speed you can not see any wobble only when it is on tickover can you see it! I don't know if it has allways been like it and I don't know weather to just ignore it or sort it out hence the poll to see if anyone else has a slight wobble?

ben_haynes

« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2008, 01:46:32 »
i will have a look mine in morning but i suspect that has a wobble aswell  :doh:

Offline Jonny Boaterboy

Attack Member
« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2008, 02:18:52 »
Thanks ben that would be great if you could

ben_haynes

« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2008, 22:24:29 »
had a look at mine for another reason (forgot to look for the Pulley Wobble  :oops: :oops:) no i have no wobble on it at all (mine will fall of soon :doh:) but my water pump wobbles bad :oops: :'(

Offline Range Rover Blues

Attack Member
    • South Yorkshire
« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2008, 07:01:42 »
None of mine wobble, I'd have noticed.
Blue,  1988  Range Rover 3.5 EFi with plenty of toys bolted on
Chuggaboom, 1995 Range Rover Classic
1995 Range Rover Classic Vogue LSE with 5 big sticks of Blackpool rock under the bonnet.

Offline Jonny Boaterboy

Attack Member
« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2008, 20:39:01 »
ummmmm ok will keep checking and see what happens! thanks all for haveing a look.

On the up side, since I have changed the timing chain and re-set the timing to 6 degrees BTC the Range Rover is running very sweet indeed....... I have used 1/4 tank of fuel and covered 140 miles I normaly strugle to get 100 miles..... could be just a freak occurance but it does seem to be alot more willing to "go" would'nt it be great to average 20 MPG

Offline Jonny Boaterboy

Attack Member
« Reply #8 on: March 08, 2008, 20:42:43 »
forgot to say, Ben if your waterpump is wobbling check to see if your leaking water from a small hole underneath the pump... if so your bearing are on the way out and you need to fit a new waterpump (£160 for a genuine)

best of luck!

ben_haynes

« Reply #9 on: March 08, 2008, 23:24:06 »
forgot to say, Ben if your waterpump is wobbling check to see if your leaking water from a small hole underneath the pump... if so your bearing are on the way out and you need to fit a new waterpump (£160 for a genuine)

best of luck!

yes the Bearing was FUBARED  :doh: it did leak alot but not from the hole but from the bearing itself :oops:

Offline Range Rover Blues

Attack Member
    • South Yorkshire
« Reply #10 on: March 09, 2008, 19:19:22 »
ummmmm ok will keep checking and see what happens! thanks all for haveing a look.

On the up side, since I have changed the timing chain and re-set the timing to 6 degrees BTC the Range Rover is running very sweet indeed....... I have used 1/4 tank of fuel and covered 140 miles I normaly strugle to get 100 miles..... could be just a freak occurance but it does seem to be alot more willing to "go" would'nt it be great to average 20 MPG

Camshaft timinb does have a big effect on the fuel efficiency of the Rover V8, as does premature cam wear.
Blue,  1988  Range Rover 3.5 EFi with plenty of toys bolted on
Chuggaboom, 1995 Range Rover Classic
1995 Range Rover Classic Vogue LSE with 5 big sticks of Blackpool rock under the bonnet.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal