AuthorTopic: air compressor  (Read 2265 times)

Offline adafish

• Attack: 100
    Defense: 100
    Attack Member
  • Referrals: 0
air compressor
« on: February 29, 2008, 14:33:13 »
we bit the bullet some months back and broght one for home use...Since Xmas we have used it a few times when workin on the Landy's as father Xmas brought me some air tools...but has of late we can't get the thing to pressure up..It was fine n dandy whilst undoing the props and gearbox bolts, but when we cme to tighten back up, could'nt get more than 20 psi out of it..Did the usual, turn-off and pull the pin out to release air, and tried again, still nowt...anyhow, i've just taken out the pressure regulator knob , that looks ok, it screws out (in), checked all the pipe connections , they are ok...still no good..aNY IDEAS GUYS...i've got a set of new air tools to use here and no compressor

ben_haynes

Re: air compressor
« Reply #1 on: February 29, 2008, 22:19:11 »
what make is it?

if it is a small one like mine it has a Push / Pull button on the top of a plastic box take the plastic cover off and check the button has not come adrift from the Bolt and spring (mine has done this and a small screwdriver is used to keep it on)

Offline Mash

Attack Member
    • Lincoln
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2008, 00:50:20 »
Does the compressor actually run ?
If so try checking around the head gasket for leaks ..

Mines blown the head gasket and will not acheive much pressure ( another job on the list to do :roll:)
Hit it till it breaks then hit it some more !

"Jingle" 200Tdi 110 - Which way to the mud ??

Offline treeboa

Attack Member
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2008, 21:00:44 »
if its running but not producing pressure make sure it has oil in it

Offline adafish

Attack Member
« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2008, 22:23:22 »
all advice taken in, and will try tomora...the oil thing...i did fill it up that it started to come out the filler cap when the compreesor was on, so drain a bit out till the oil stopped running and put the plug back in..?

Offline Range Rover Blues

Attack Member
    • South Yorkshire
« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2008, 19:53:25 »
There should be either a dipstick or an oil level window on a compressor.  It's not oil free is it :-.

If the compressor was running but not acheiving pressure then I'd say it was the pump, if it switches off before the pump raises more than 20 psi then it's the pressure switch, these are fairly standard so you can just get a spare but be very carful setting the pressure, if the pump won't run at all then it's the motor.
Blue,  1988  Range Rover 3.5 EFi with plenty of toys bolted on
Chuggaboom, 1995 Range Rover Classic
1995 Range Rover Classic Vogue LSE with 5 big sticks of Blackpool rock under the bonnet.

Offline adafish

Attack Member
« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2008, 20:42:41 »
ta...

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal