AuthorTopic: 280 Nm.. how tight!  (Read 1034 times)

Offline Jonny Boaterboy

• Attack: 100
    Defense: 100
    Attack Member
  • Referrals: 0
280 Nm.. how tight!
« on: February 23, 2008, 23:44:26 »
I have just changed the timing chain and have come to do the bolt up that holds the crank shaft pulley on I have have two questions

1) How do you hold the pulley to allow you to tighten it to to 280 Nm? I have done it up as tight as possible using a boa constrictor rubber brace on the pulley to hold it while tighten the bolt.... will that be enough?

2) The washer on the bolt does not centralise in the crank shaft from what I can tell..... well does this not throw off the balancing of the crankshaft?

Thanks all

Offline Range Rover Blues

Attack Member
    • South Yorkshire
Re: 280 Nm.. how tight!
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2008, 01:28:21 »
1)Special tool that engages with the ring gear.

2)Don't know
Blue,  1988  Range Rover 3.5 EFi with plenty of toys bolted on
Chuggaboom, 1995 Range Rover Classic
1995 Range Rover Classic Vogue LSE with 5 big sticks of Blackpool rock under the bonnet.

Guardian.

« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2008, 06:58:21 »
CANNOT SEE THE WASHER BIT BEING RIGHT, IF its not central then it can surely only go in one position or as you say the balance will be miles out.

ben_haynes

« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2008, 14:38:21 »
the washer should just fit on the bolt (with minimal side to side movement)

have you got the pulley on straight?? as this will make the washer and bolt look off centre

Offline Jonny Boaterboy

Attack Member
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2008, 21:05:37 »
Ummm that's interesting, the washer was not a snug fit on bolt which is why I wondered if it was centralising! I haven't actually stood on my head to have look at it in situe but I was thinking that it used the pulley wheel sides to centralise as the bolt was done up I will try and have a look tomorrow to see what it looks like, should have a new rad. to fit so will have a look befor that goes in

tar!

Offline Jonny Boaterboy

Attack Member
« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2008, 21:05:45 »
Well, I have had a look and the washer does fit on the bolt with only a bit of side movement perhaps about 1mm so my fears of it been off centre were unfounded however I have a new problem.....

I put the crankshaft pulley back on, tightened it as tight as I could and fired it up to find that there was a wobble on the pulley I took it off again and placed the pulley only on a precision ground flat piece of metal to find it was flat.... it was, so is the pulley warped/bent and needs replacing? the guys at my local Land Rover place say it does but it seems flat to me, can it be out of shape "up and down" as apposed to left and right.

Its neverending isn't it!!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal