AuthorTopic: Exhaust fitting.  (Read 277 times)

Offline muddyjames

• Attack: 100
    Defense: 100
    Attack Member
  • Referrals: 0
Exhaust fitting.
« on: February 21, 2008, 18:41:41 »
Well I have just been told my bargain exhaust off ebay has been shipped out today and will arrive tomorrow. Hopefully they will hide it in my garden for me.  :?

Anyway. I have never fitted an exhaust before, so was wondering if dry fitting them with gaskets between each joint will be ok to seel the joints up or do you put something else between them like gun gum?

Also I will be fitting a exhaust jointing sleeve with clamps each end. Does that need any compound stuff on it or will that tighten up to be air tight?

I am well chuffed I have got the price down from £300 to £144. I might be not so chuffed after not being able to fit it next week!! :lol:
Rover 620i 223,000 miles on the clock :)
1995 300tdi auto ES Disco. Big Green Giant

Most expensive item for a Disco is????? a round piece of paper stuck on the windscreen!

Offline hairyasswelder

Attack Member
  • It's gonna cost ya
Re: Exhaust fitting.
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2008, 19:54:20 »
Yes, use 'exhaust assembly paste' it helps exhaust slide together and expands into the joints. If they are mating flanges then smear  a bit in the gasket.
It can be bought for £3 ish from local motor factors  :)
'88 RR 3.5 efi, an on going project :o) evolving daily/slowly

Offline muddyjames

Attack Member
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2008, 19:56:26 »
cool.

it sounds ideal for the inline sleeve thingy and good for the joints too.  :dance:

and £3 I like the sound of even more :lol:
Rover 620i 223,000 miles on the clock :)
1995 300tdi auto ES Disco. Big Green Giant

Most expensive item for a Disco is????? a round piece of paper stuck on the windscreen!

Offline Range Rover Blues

Attack Member
    • South Yorkshire
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2008, 04:01:52 »
As a rule I like to keep joints with gasket in them clean, once you start using goo inthem you'll have to keep using it and it can be a liability sometimes, my LSE likes to blow the stuff everywhere.

I also don't bother with it on sleeved (scarfed) joints but maybe I should :-k

So if the matel either side is new then use a new gasket only, use assembly paste on sleeved joints like Steve says and on older joints use a bit of common sense, I know you have plenty ;)
Blue,  1988  Range Rover 3.5 EFi with plenty of toys bolted on
Chuggaboom, 1995 Range Rover Classic
1995 Range Rover Classic Vogue LSE with 5 big sticks of Blackpool rock under the bonnet.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal