AuthorTopic: viscous diff to selectable??  (Read 600 times)

Offline squaddie_fox

• Attack: 100
    Defense: 100
    Attack Member
  • Referrals: 0
viscous diff to selectable??
« on: February 20, 2008, 00:32:47 »
would it be possible to swap a transfer box with a viscous coupling in a VM manual to one with a selectable centre diff from a 3.5 V8 auto?

just speculating at the moment as i havent bought the vehicle yet, but i would rather be able to select when my centre diff gets engaged.

cheers

pete

235/85 special tracks, 3.9 V8, HD bumpers, +3 inch lift, +5 shocks f&r, 12000lbs champion winch, heavy duty steering bars, CB and a snorkel....

Offline Range Rover Blues

Attack Member
    • South Yorkshire
Re: viscous diff to selectable??
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2008, 03:59:19 »
Well ours has had ther B-W T-box fitted inplace of the LT230 ;)

YEs they are interchangeable, but why bother? unless it's bust rthe B-W is far better on a car that's moving and on tarmac it makes the car safer to drive in bad weather.

the downside is when you are using it as a winch anchor and the front wheels just keep turning :roll:

I'll be keeping the B-W and going auto when time permits.
Blue,  1988  Range Rover 3.5 EFi with plenty of toys bolted on
Chuggaboom, 1995 Range Rover Classic
1995 Range Rover Classic Vogue LSE with 5 big sticks of Blackpool rock under the bonnet.

Offline ChrisV8

Attack Member
Re: viscous diff to selectable??
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2008, 09:18:19 »
Yes it's a simple bolt in job ! One gearbox mount to take off and six or seven bolts. PITA is the linkages as longas you get all the linkages from the LT it should go in no probs.

I am about to do just this job on my Daihatsu engined RR as that has a busted gearbox/transfer and the BW viscous is seized, I just happen to have a few LT230s lying in the shed. The advantage of changing it is the variety of ratios you can get as well as it being under driver control. If looking for a transfer one off an auto is more likely to be OK in relation to the transfer gear spline wear.

Only downside is the transfer is heavy just lik ethe gearbox, so a big trolley jack and preferably the correct bracket would help !
1982 Range Rover 200tdi inside
1993 LR 90 rebuild Project
2008 Jeep Patriot wondrous 45mpg VW diesel powered 4x4 road car

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal