AuthorTopic: 2.5 swb shoguns  (Read 1238 times)

Offline tom38

• Attack: 100
    Defense: 100
    Attack Member
  • Referrals: 0
2.5 swb shoguns
« on: February 19, 2008, 18:12:19 »
sold one of my landies as the other half doesnt like the gear box and have seen a mitsi swb wi a full service history drives quite nice will get used for the odd light pay n play as well wondering what people thought of them know theres bad with all just wanted an idea on general reliability for these not worried about lots of power or towing just genral play n driving use thanks
 :) :)
freelander td4
vauxhall astra estate

Offline J B

Attack Member
Re: 2.5 swb shoguns
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2008, 22:24:59 »
if you get one, dont take it off road, it kills them in the end, clean = relaible
300tdi disco

Offline carracarra13

Attack Member
  • just add mud lots of mud
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2008, 21:20:14 »
a friend of ours has had his allong time and is always playing in the mud , but he cleans it with no more than a jetwash , im yet to try our long wheel base out as only had it a couple of days
v8 3.9 se discovery
pland mod lpg or hydrogen kit ?
allterains
twin battery, and water proofing engin and electrics
imverta

Offline Mudlark

Attack Member
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2008, 22:18:50 »
if you get one, dont take it off road, it kills them in the end, clean = relaible

Possibly but not as fast as I've seen Landies die

You will get stories about alternators being too low, timing belts constantly breaking and no articulation but.....

The real truth is they don't break diffs or half shafts or drive shafts - the diff casings are pretty strong as well - the steering is well protected.

Alternator too low - well it's on the bottom of the engine but mine worked well while submerged under a couple of feet of water for 10 - 15 minutes and is still working now

Timing belt and balance belt - I change mine every 50,000 miles or before the third MOT - that's cheaper than a new head ;)

Articulation - yeah not a patch on a tricked up landie but they very often come as standard with either LSD or ARB lockers on the rear axles

And without any bull I have taken mine places and few landies have managed to follow

Like many trucks find out their weak points and you'll do what you'll want with them

Click the pic get my NEW site

1988 2.5td manual Shogun SWB

Offline carracarra13

Attack Member
  • just add mud lots of mud
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2008, 09:36:05 »
may be I shouldnt put this but most of the time In my oponion you find not how good or bad the truck is but how you approch the situation, I found slow and steady and your truck will cope with most things you throw at it , I use a long wheel base vit off road all terain tyers are the only thing Iv changed and a good ammount of wd40 lol but she copes very well u just have to think what u are doing more and to me that is the best fun out
v8 3.9 se discovery
pland mod lpg or hydrogen kit ?
allterains
twin battery, and water proofing engin and electrics
imverta

Offline tom38

Attack Member
« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2008, 18:52:11 »
have put deposit on one now has centre and rear dif lock on it have seen a few long wheelbase ones playing out in mud an ok all the disco's i looked @ were tin worm heavens anyway so thought id go for it thanks for the input will be interesting to see as i have a standard 90 as well looking forward to seeing what its like once its got some half decent rubber on it
freelander td4
vauxhall astra estate

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal