AuthorTopic: header tank empty  (Read 642 times)

Offline woz

• Attack: 100
    Defense: 100
    Attack Member
    • walsall
  • Referrals: 0
header tank empty
« on: February 17, 2008, 21:59:41 »
Hi there, just a quick question. I have a rrc 3.9 v8 auto 1994, and it seems to drink water like theres no tomorrow. I checked the water in the header tank last nite and filled it up to the top with water and anti freeze. Got in it this afternoon and went round my mates house some 6 miles away. Checked the header tank and over 3/4 of the water had gone.
 I'm sure this is bad news can anone help?? Apart from that it runs sweet as, no problems at all.
 Cheers people, any help much appreciated.
Woz :huh:

Offline hairyasswelder

Attack Member
  • It's gonna cost ya
Re: header tank empty
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2008, 22:40:39 »
Dont be negative  ;) have you checked the carpets (heater matrix) water pump gasket, header tank for splits.
Are the hoses hard (pressurised)? exhaust blowing steam? puddle where you park? overheating?
'88 RR 3.5 efi, an on going project :o) evolving daily/slowly

Offline Range Rover Blues

Attack Member
    • South Yorkshire
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2008, 15:26:33 »
No pressure in the top hose? then check the small bore hoses that run from the back of the water pum p to the inlet manifold and to the heater matrix, the fine bore pipes from the top of the radiator to the throttle body and back to the inlet manifold for splits.

A leak on one fo the pipes to theinlet manifold menas the water runs onto the valley gasket, then down the back of the engine where you can't see it, that's if it doesn't evaporate.

Also when you fill it up, fill it via the small brass screw on top of the steel pipes that run the length of the engine, this is there to avoid air-locks.  Fill it briskly to push air from the heater back through the engine rather than adding water to the header tank.

Use an antifreeze with a leak tracer in it, bright green or pink are best.
Blue,  1988  Range Rover 3.5 EFi with plenty of toys bolted on
Chuggaboom, 1995 Range Rover Classic
1995 Range Rover Classic Vogue LSE with 5 big sticks of Blackpool rock under the bonnet.

Guardian.

« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2008, 19:21:07 »
YOUR not the only one mate dont worry :D

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal