AuthorTopic: Door Mirrors  (Read 1742 times)

Offline Rasbo

• Attack: 100
    Defense: 100
    Attack Member
  • Referrals: 0
Door Mirrors
« on: February 13, 2008, 15:29:28 »
Hoping some1 can hlp me, doing an engineering project at uni, and need to know the regs on mirror sizes any help would be brilliant

andy
'88 90 300tdi
DFYTR.com

Offline Boddle

Attack Member
  • Boddle on Xbox
    • Coventry UK
  • Referrals: 1
Re: Door Mirrors
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2008, 11:03:44 »
Perhaps you may need to give more details of what you are after Eg Car, Truck, Bus because legislation depends on type and where you intend the vehicle to sold.
For a car believe it or not, I don't think there are any legislations regarding size, although there may legislation on viewing angle relative to vehicle size. Most manufacturers will have a common size because they are supplied by common suppliers 
Legislation I do know about are
Europe
Requires Drivers Door Mirror and Centre windscreen or Passenger door mirror (or both)
(even if the vehicle has rear cameras it also has to meet the above)
Australia
Requires the Centre windscreen Mirror to be able to view an object on the ground 53metres behind the vehicle.
the best thing to do is a web search for ISO(European), SAE (american) standards.
My understanding most manufactures compare other product in the same market and design around there competitors.

Offline Rasbo

Attack Member
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2008, 18:16:42 »
thanx boddle, the mirrors actually being designed as oem for a production car. your reply has helped greatly,

thanks Andy
'88 90 300tdi
DFYTR.com

littlepow

« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2008, 18:43:01 »
Speak to your local SVA center. They should be able to point you in the required direction.

http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Dl1/Directories/DG_10011302

Offline Range Rover Blues

Attack Member
    • South Yorkshire
« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2008, 05:05:25 »
I can tell you a couple of things, AFAIK mirrors cannot extend more than 200mm beyond the width of the car, or trailer if towing but must extend beyond the width of the widest part of car/trailer.

Height is unrestricted

The offside mirror I was told should always be plain glass, not convex, but I know on LR this is not the case so I don't think it can be the law.

"Objects in the rear view mirror may appear closer than they are" no,it's just Meatloaf ate all the pies and appears BIGGER than anyone else :lol:  convex mirrors give a wider field of vision at the expense of true perception of distance, ie things appear further away and approach faster.

I also think they can be tinted slightly and it's still not a legal requirement to have a nearside mirror if you fit a centre mirror.
Blue,  1988  Range Rover 3.5 EFi with plenty of toys bolted on
Chuggaboom, 1995 Range Rover Classic
1995 Range Rover Classic Vogue LSE with 5 big sticks of Blackpool rock under the bonnet.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal