AuthorTopic: alloy wheels  (Read 486 times)

Offline kevinf

• Attack: 100
    Defense: 100
    Attack Member
  • Referrals: 0
alloy wheels
« on: February 11, 2008, 22:36:18 »

i know this has been asked many times before but

a friend is picking up her new to her (second hand)  crew cab pick up in a few days  (110 defender)

and as been offered a set of second hand alloys and tyres but she doesn't know what type of wheel or what vehicle they originally came off

how can i tell by looking at the wheels if they are suitably rated for the 110 or if i can confirm what the donor vehicle was,which vehicle would be suitable

many thanks kevin             
the shinny blue defender with the winch,checker plate body protection,extra seating and windows
and at this point I noticed the n/s air vent wasnt fully closed so lets not forget the mud stained interior and the water logged kenwood 6disc cd

Offline Range Rover Blues

• Attack: 100
    Defense: 100
    Attack Member
    • South Yorkshire
  • Referrals: 0
Re: alloy wheels
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2008, 02:23:59 »
Easy.  They are not suitable (offer to buy the alloys cheap).

Any 200TDi defender will probably not take factory alloys wheels at they don't fit the hubs properly and the drive member sticks out through the centre hole.

If it's a 300TDi or has had the hubs replaced (alloys wheel studs haveeither a "-" sign or a triangle stamped on them for a start) then any Disco/RRC alloys will still not be load rated for a 110.

This leaves aftermarket alloys.  You should be able to find load data on the inside of the alloy casting, then check your handbook for max axle weights etc.

If the info isn't there play it safe and don't fit them.  Post a pic on here and wait for advice, someone will know.

Meanwhile the tyres may still be suitable, the load data has to be printed on the sidewall, if in doubt again ask here or approach a reputable tyre depot for advice.  They may refuse to fit tyres that are more than 5 years old though, again it's the law.
Blue,  1988  Range Rover 3.5 EFi with plenty of toys bolted on
Chuggaboom, 1995 Range Rover Classic
1995 Range Rover Classic Vogue LSE with 5 big sticks of Blackpool rock under the bonnet.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal