AuthorTopic: Fuel Tank cleaner.  (Read 5652 times)

Offline turtle

• Attack: 100
    Defense: 100
    Attack Member
  • Referrals: 0
Fuel Tank cleaner.
« on: January 31, 2005, 21:21:55 »
My mate has a pickup Range Rover, when he bought the motor it had a replacement fuel tank fitted in the pickup bed, the tank hasn't got a sensor fitted and he judges the amount of fuel with a large stick!!

He having a sensor fitted but needs to drain the tank and clean before sending it off and having the sensor fitted.

What do you recomend he cleans the tank with?

Offline Range Rover Blues

Attack Member
    • South Yorkshire
Fuel Tank cleaner.
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2005, 00:27:14 »
Steam cleaner, it's about the only thing a welder would use before repairing a tank.
Blue,  1988  Range Rover 3.5 EFi with plenty of toys bolted on
Chuggaboom, 1995 Range Rover Classic
1995 Range Rover Classic Vogue LSE with 5 big sticks of Blackpool rock under the bonnet.

Offline turtle

Attack Member
Fuel Tank cleaner.
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2005, 09:50:16 »
Cheers Andrew  :D  will pass that on.

Offline karloss

Attack Member
Fuel Tank cleaner.
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2005, 19:37:41 »
Leave the engine running on a petrol engined car. Put the tank filler neck over the exhaust and leave for a while. Works every time. Not too sure how I found that one out but I've done it loads of times.
Cheers, Karl..

Listen mate, you've more chance of a go on the wife than you have of a go in my truck.

1990 90 TD
2008 Nissan Pathfinder sport.

Offline Fat Bloke

Attack Member
Fuel Tank cleaner.
« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2005, 22:45:51 »
A few years ago i saw a mate in the trade do exactly the same as sugested above.He connected a piece of hose to an exhaust with engine running and put it into the filler tube of the empty tank and left it running for a while.He later safely welded a modified section into the tank  :!:
(while i stood about a mile away and watched with my binoculars....lol  :shock: )
I am sure he said it has something to do with the carbon monoxide that comes from the exhaust that eliminates the petrol vapour somehow.
A.T.B.......Lee.

Discovery 1, 3.9 V8

Offline karloss

Attack Member
Fuel Tank cleaner.
« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2005, 23:34:11 »
Oh aye, it definately works. Having said thet I've seen a guy welding a car up with a bucket, yes a bucket of petrol at the side of him without incident. The car was on it's side at the time and the bucket, yes bucket :lol:  was catching the petrol running out the tank. It was a banger racer but that's no excuse for suicidal tendencies. :shock:

I'm fairly sure tho' that disaster only happens to people who know the dangers, blissfully ignorant people get away with the most amazing things. Me? I only have to look at a potentialy dangerous situation and disaster sneaks up with a massive bloomin' grin.  :-({|=  I even managed to run myself over with my own landy. #-o
Cheers, Karl..

Listen mate, you've more chance of a go on the wife than you have of a go in my truck.

1990 90 TD

Offline Range Rover Blues

Attack Member
    • South Yorkshire
Fuel Tank cleaner.
« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2005, 13:38:32 »
Have a mate in the trade.  He was working on a car doing some welding and had drained the fuel.  He's underneath welding and his shirt catches light, he shouts his dad to fetch a conveniently placed bucket of water for just such an event.
Doused with the contents of the bucket, "dad, where was that bucket"
"outside, why"
"thought so, go and turn the power off will you"
Bucket of water still at his feet, now covered in petrol, the fire has thankfully gone out.

He told me it didn't worry him at the time, but when he thought about it later, his bum nearly fell off!
Blue,  1988  Range Rover 3.5 EFi with plenty of toys bolted on
Chuggaboom, 1995 Range Rover Classic
1995 Range Rover Classic Vogue LSE with 5 big sticks of Blackpool rock under the bonnet.

Offline karloss

Attack Member
Fuel Tank cleaner.
« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2005, 19:16:04 »
Had a similar incident after cleaning some parts in a parts wash, splashing my overalls and then heading off to weld something. It's amazing how many people stop and stare at a burning person. :lol:
Cheers, Karl..

1990 90 TD

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal