AuthorTopic: Possible SCAM warning  (Read 2055 times)

Offline BK

• Attack: 100
    Defense: 100
    Attack Member
  • Referrals: 0
Possible SCAM warning
« on: February 07, 2008, 09:51:51 »
Looking on ebay yesterday,came across a 1997 90 in Manchester on a classified ad,nice lookin car,black with a few toys,low mileage and two owners(turned out to be 4)at an unbelievable price of,wait 4 it....£1700.00!!!!!!!!!!! so I thought ay up whats this?so I mailed the seller and asked if the price was geniune.....turned out it WAS!!!! BUT the guy had no feedback and had been registered since 03 :-k and he said hed had a family emergency and needed the money(even though he had it on a 27 day listing :-k)so he said he was out of town and so I couldnt view it!!!EH? :shock: he said he could deliver the vehicle anywhere in the uk for free and wanted my full name and address so he could start the transaction!! :lol: :lol: :shock:he said i could HPI it from the photos on ebay :lol: :lol:!!! and was I interested?........ER NO!!! I said to him (via email cos he had left no phone number!!!)that this is not the way people do business and i would need to see the car,V5,and check it over before any £ changed hands,he said he would "offer an e-bay refund" if I didnt like the car!! :lol: :lol: :lol: :doh: :doh:.............so if anyone sees this motor again on ebay with a knock down price [color=BEWARE!!!!!!!!
1998 Jeep Cherokee,3" rough country lift,31"Muds,front disconnects,and a custom snorkle..........just lovin it!!!

Offline BK

Attack Member
Re: Possible SCAM warning
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2008, 09:55:14 »
OH!!!! and  :lol: :lol: :lol:just had a look now and its not there anymore!!!!!its been taken off ebay :lol: :lol: :clap: :clap
1998 Jeep Cherokee,3" rough country lift,31"Muds,front disconnects,and a custom snorkle..........just lovin it!!!

Guardian.

« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2008, 09:56:35 »
theres loads of it on ebay, selling allsorts, and you have to pay and cannot collect, or they are in timbucktoo, just dont get involved as you will get stitched up, and kiss goodbye to your hard earned money.
nothing is cheap in this world, everything has its price, and always sell for around a set figure, its not likely something thats megga cheap it right or it wouldnt be there, someone would have bought it already.

Offline BK

Attack Member
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2008, 10:01:28 »
Well i knew it was cheap so I had to have a nosey,it just seemed too good to be true,I have never seen a scam like that with a car,especially a landy

Offline crazymac

Attack Member
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2008, 10:22:05 »
There has been loads of RR Sports on there lately like this. 06 and 07 plates with no reserve and buy it nows of £7K and the like!!!!

I tend to trawl ebay for something to do (how sad am I??) and everytime I find one I report it to them, and they are always removed.

Thing is though, some of these appear to be sellers with a few hundred positive feedbacks as well!! Their accounts have been highjacked! You can usually find the pictures the scammers are using on another genuine listing! When I see this I email the genuine seller (IE the one selling the car for the proper price!!) and they have always been greatful of the heads up.
I HAVE THE BODY OF A GOD

shame its Budda!!

Offline BK

Attack Member
« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2008, 11:04:33 »
Are they b****ds or what? its scandalous there should be summat in force from ebay to stop this,some poor unfortunate sod could have "bought" that 90 last night and lost all his/her money. :twisted:

Offline Range Rover Blues

Attack Member
    • South Yorkshire
« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2008, 03:12:46 »
My mate was wathcing a Mexico on flea aby in Leicester, he thought is was a bit cheap but the thing that really started the alarm bells was the free delivery, you don't collect it 8-[

Probably because it's still on the owner's drive (not been nicked yet).
Blue,  1988  Range Rover 3.5 EFi with plenty of toys bolted on
Chuggaboom, 1995 Range Rover Classic
1995 Range Rover Classic Vogue LSE with 5 big sticks of Blackpool rock under the bonnet.

Offline antk

Attack Member
« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2008, 20:18:21 »
i messaged the same person about this landy and he replied to me the same thing as you,

i asked for his number to speak to him about it and he replied im not giving you my number so something very dodgy there.
90 turbo diesel
greenway mud tyres
snorkel
full wading kit

lots more to do

Offline BK

Attack Member
« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2008, 20:38:26 »
Too right mate robbing b*****ds its scandalous,did he offer to deliver anywhere in the uk and give you your £ back?,family emergency my a***e if he needed the £ how the hell can he give you a £ back guarantee :evil:

Offline antk

Attack Member
« Reply #9 on: February 08, 2008, 20:43:06 »
YE  HE SENT ME A MASSIVE LONG MESSAGE SAYING YOU CAN HAVE YOUR MONEY BACK, FREE DELIVERY ANYWHERE IN UK ETC ETC,

ITS A JOKE REALLY EBAY SHOULD DO SOMETHING ABOUT PEOPLE LIKE THAT.
90 turbo diesel
greenway mud tyres
snorkel
full wading kit

lots more to do

Offline BK

Attack Member
« Reply #10 on: February 08, 2008, 20:51:30 »
Nice landy tho wasnt it?,where do they get the pics?do they just walk up someones drive with a camera?cheeky sods

Offline antk

Attack Member
« Reply #11 on: February 09, 2008, 20:52:22 »
ye it was smart. they must do
90 turbo diesel
greenway mud tyres
snorkel
full wading kit

lots more to do

Offline BAZZ

Attack Member
« Reply #12 on: February 21, 2008, 21:35:36 »
Last yearsaw an add on Ebay for RR sport, 17000 seller would ship said vehicle in container from Lisbon to southampton. I wonder what would be in if any container, Nowt I shouldf think. Reported it to Ebay who took it of sale,  :shock: :police:Bazz

Offline HiFonics

Attack Member
« Reply #13 on: February 23, 2008, 20:57:50 »
If people fall for these scams its their own fault.

Insert all the cliches... You dont get something for nothing and if it looks too good to be true it probably is...

If people lose their money on this stuff I put it down to natural selection, they were never meant to have any money in this world.

I am currently trying to buy a new landrover and looked at one today on ebay. I am treating it like any other vehicle I have bought. I went and viewed it today, took it for a test drive and looked around it and then did an HPI check when I got home. I will now consider bidding.
99 Defender 90 TD5
04 Defender 110 TD5

Offline BK

Attack Member
« Reply #14 on: February 23, 2008, 21:24:43 »
Its a good job we are not daft and succumb to these scams,but its still scandalous that they are allowed to get away with it on such a big site such as ebay,you dont hear of it on autotrader

Offline markyb

Attack Member
« Reply #15 on: March 04, 2008, 09:26:33 »
i know a friend who got that scam of auto trader where they would be contacted by someone over seas saying they loved the car would pay for shipping etc.
his firend actually followed it through lost the car and the money.

so he decided to followed it through , recieved a cheque for 10k for a terrano. i think how he got around it, was he cashed the cheque in his old wifes name account that was linked to another address, that address was part of the Newbury bypass sell up.   

cashed it closed the account,   the scammer after a while starting asking if he had shipped the car he said yes.  give a bogus shipping container reference .
Friend at the bank said that the 10k had tried to be returned that day, something to do with a 60 day or 90 rejection/return thing on oversea cheque, not sure my self its going back a while. 

Anyway, he give the money to his mate who actually lost his car and money and followed up with reporting his scam to the police as well. closed his email account even thou it was so tempting to write your been scammed or words to that effect back to him.
Cheers Markyb
Defender 110
Discovery

Offline Freelander1980

Attack Member
« Reply #16 on: March 04, 2008, 11:10:58 »
i always look for things close to home and if they are genuine they will happily let you collect or provide a phone number to speak to them about the item. It is crap that there is some people who actually think it is a real bargain and do lose there hard earned cash as it then puts there faith in other people at risk

Offline PITBULL

Attack Member
« Reply #17 on: March 04, 2008, 21:53:53 »
 yea tell me about it if u look sometimes u can find the real deal they have copyed i seen a 2004 BMW M3 4sale 4 £5000 & just above it was exact same pics & info 4 £35,000 wonder which 1 is the real deal?
Disco 300tdi Manual, JE Engengering stage 2 tune, allisport Intercooler, HiClone thingy, Safari snorkel, Scorpion Racing Winch Bumper & Steering Guard, Superwinch EPi9 with plasma, 33/12.5 khumo kl71's, Beedlocked Mach 5's, Heavy Duty Half Shafts & CV's, Front Diff Guard, H/D Steering Rods, 2" Blue Springs, Pro Comp ES9000 Shocks, Scorpion Racing 30deg props, ARB Air Locker on back, Full Safety Devices Internal Roll Cage & Roof Rack, Tree sliders, Scorpion Racing Detachable Tow Bar, Cobra Daytona seats, Cb.
i think thats it... 4 NOW!
www.bonkas4x4wales.com

Offline Freelander1980

Attack Member
« Reply #18 on: March 05, 2008, 11:11:00 »
An old saying,

"if it looks to good to be true, then usually it will be"

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal