AuthorTopic: power steering box removal with pics  (Read 1320 times)

Offline barriesheene

• Attack: 100
    Defense: 100
    Attack Member
  • Referrals: 0
power steering box removal with pics
« on: February 06, 2008, 21:29:26 »
I had to do this today so I thought I would have a go at doing a write up with pics  :? I am no mechanic so if you kill yourself or your truck while following this, don't come crying to me  =; I may not have done this in the correct order etc, ( I undid all the box mounting bolts before separating the shaft's etc so had to put them all back in again.well I will tomorrow cos i was working in the dark !  :roll:) But it should help those that may need it cos the haynes manual was [!Expletive Deleted!]  :^o

PLEASE NOTE THAT THE BOLTS IN PICS 2 AND 3 NEED TO BE COMPLETELY REMOVED IN ORDER TO SEPARATE THE JOINT FROM THE SHAFT !!!!!!!!!

WOW this photobucket is awesome !! much better than photobox  :dance:
Hope this helps
Baz

« Last Edit: February 14, 2008, 15:15:44 by barriesheene »
CBR900RR FIREBLADE ( urban tiger GGRRRRRR !!!!!) SOLD needed money to fix the rangie
2.5 PAJERO LWB EXCEED
AVONDALE MAYFLY SOLD needed money to fix the rangie
RANGEROVER 3.9 V8 STRAIGHT THROUGH EXHAUST AND VERY MUDDY :) makes me laugh everytime i rev it

Guardian.

Re: power steering box removal with pics
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2008, 22:13:03 »
DID YOU GO For a new box in the end then mate.

Offline barriesheene

Attack Member
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2008, 14:36:53 »
Nope, I got a seal kit but to be honest I cant see how to change it other than taking the back off the box and pushing the shaft out through the back. tbh it's going to be a couple of weeks till i can afford a new box and I need it for work  :'( If anybody can tell me an idiots way off just changing the steering shaft seal it would be much appreciated  [-o< I will be getting a new box asap but for now it's going to be a botch job £££££££££. Oh was the write up ok I've NOT altered pics like that before.? What you think for a first attempt ? Should haynes be worried  :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
« Last Edit: February 07, 2008, 16:37:07 by barriesheene »
CBR900RR FIREBLADE ( urban tiger GGRRRRRR !!!!!) SOLD needed money to fix the rangie
2.5 PAJERO LWB EXCEED
RANGEROVER 3.9 V8 STRAIGHT THROUGH EXHAUST AND VERY MUDDY :) makes me laugh everytime i rev it

Offline hairyasswelder

Attack Member
  • It's gonna cost ya
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2008, 16:15:23 »
Oh was the write up ok I've altered pics like that before.? What you think for a first attempt ? Should haynes be worried  :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Looks good to me  ;) Maybe make it a sticky?

I would rate it better than Ha**es cause it shows a real used vehicle  ;)  only criticism is the 2nd pic, bit close in to see location but I know where you mean.

'88 RR 3.5 efi, an on going project :o) evolving daily/slowly

Offline barriesheene

Attack Member
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2008, 16:34:38 »
Oh was the write up ok I've NOT altered pics like that before.? What you think for a first attempt ? Should haynes be worried  :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

I would rate it better than Ha**es cause it shows a real used vehicle  ;)  only criticism is the 2nd pic, bit close in to see location but I know where you mean.

Yeah sorry bout that. It was getting dark and had to use the flash   :shocked: i could only see what i was pointing at when the flash went off  :roll:  :lol: :lol: :lol: Next time i'll try doing it in the daylight  :lol: :lol: :lol:
« Last Edit: February 07, 2008, 16:38:26 by barriesheene »
2.5 PAJERO LWB EXCEED

Offline hairyasswelder

Attack Member
  • It's gonna cost ya
« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2008, 20:21:04 »
no need to apologise  :-.
Was trying to be constructive. my new camera also lacks a viewfinder so is a PITA  :shock:
'88 RR 3.5 efi, an on going project :o) evolving daily/slowly

Offline barriesheene

Attack Member
« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2008, 20:57:38 »
I've started doing the same thing with the body lift,(hence no bumper's  :twisted:) I'm just trying to find someone who can magic metal out of thin air !  :lol: :lol: :lol:
2.5 PAJERO LWB EXCEED

Offline oakeedokee

Attack Member
« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2008, 21:20:17 »
I've just changed the output shaft seal on mine, maybe you can use the same method on the input shaft seal? I drilled the seal on two opposite sides, and screwed in self tapping screws. This then gave me something to pull the seal out by. The new seal was fitted using plenty of ATF for lubrication. So far there's no sign of any leaks. :D
Iain
bobtail Rangie pickup
2-door Disco in standard trim

Offline Range Rover Blues

Attack Member
    • South Yorkshire
« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2008, 23:25:12 »
Oh was the write up ok I've altered pics like that before.? What you think for a first attempt ? Should haynes be worried  :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

We used to have a workshop section, keep an eye out in case it reappears ;)
Blue,  1988  Range Rover 3.5 EFi with plenty of toys bolted on
Chuggaboom, 1995 Range Rover Classic
1995 Range Rover Classic Vogue LSE with 5 big sticks of Blackpool rock under the bonnet.

Offline barriesheene

Attack Member
« Reply #9 on: February 09, 2008, 11:07:20 »
I've just changed the output shaft seal on mine, maybe you can use the same method on the input shaft seal? I drilled the seal on two opposite sides, and screwed in self tapping screws. This then gave me something to pull the seal out by. The new seal was fitted using plenty of ATF for lubrication. So far there's no sign of any leaks. :D

oakee you may be on to something there  :-k
2.5 PAJERO LWB EXCEED

Offline oakeedokee

Attack Member
« Reply #10 on: February 09, 2008, 11:57:27 »
Credit where credit's due....HERE
Iain
bobtail Rangie pickup
2-door Disco in standard trim

Offline Jonny Boaterboy

Attack Member
« Reply #11 on: February 23, 2008, 23:54:57 »
Baz that was great  :clap: It would be good if we could all do something along the same lines when we do work on the Range Rovers  an on line pic by pic work book would be great for us all

Nice one again Baz

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal