AuthorTopic: clutch slave cylinder grief  (Read 704 times)

Offline way2deep

• Attack: 100
    Defense: 100
    Attack Member
  • Referrals: 0
clutch slave cylinder grief
« on: February 04, 2008, 20:42:08 »
was losing fluid from my clutch slave cyl,so put another on same happened ,bought a new one and it still leaked out the end ,thought i had sorted it cos put a spacer in cylinder to pack it out cos i thought maybe piston coming out too far.has worked for 2 weeks now done it again ,,,,,clutch not slipping so doesn't appear to be worn out ......any suggestions as to what's going on and probable cause .....thanks ..robbie
robbie
200 tdi rangie  1989  4dr

Offline Range Rover Blues

Attack Member
    • South Yorkshire
Re: clutch slave cylinder grief
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2008, 03:59:11 »
The pushrod can wear out at the inside end, originally it's a ball into a socket but the ball end wears (it also makes the clutch notchy).  This will allow the piston to travel too far out.

I'm intrigued that you have had to fit a spacer though as this would make the piston travel too far out also.  Originally there is a gasket under the body of the piston, but mine works fine without one.

Anyway, I'd suggest it's the pushrod.  Bit of a swine to change though as it's held on with a clip round the arm and i defy you to fit a new one without getting your hands inside the bellhousing.

Just one thing to check, is the clutch arm cast iron or pressed steel? if the later (a Disco part) then it could be failing.
Blue,  1988  Range Rover 3.5 EFi with plenty of toys bolted on
Chuggaboom, 1995 Range Rover Classic
1995 Range Rover Classic Vogue LSE with 5 big sticks of Blackpool rock under the bonnet.

Offline way2deep

Attack Member
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2008, 22:17:04 »
thanks for your response mate ,ya sure are a valuable wealth of information :clap:

i may have miss informed you on the spacer bit ,,i put a packer for want of a better word inside the new piston chamber so that the piston didn't have to come out so far to make contact with the rod ....
got told today that it could be the pressure plate worn out cuasing too much pressure on the cylinder ...will be having a look at it again tomorra,,may have to take box out and see what's going wrong in there  :evil:
robbie

Offline Range Rover Blues

Attack Member
    • South Yorkshire
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2008, 04:12:04 »
If the pressure plate was just "tired" I wouldn't expect it to cause problems, but it may be broken.  Is the pedal heavy would you say?

Anyway, here's a bodge.  Buy a holesaw, at least 30mm but bigger if you can.  Cut a hole through the clutch rerlease arm part of the bell housing with it, then you can see the back of the clutch and the arm, you can also get in to swap the pushrod.

When you have done, a strip of meccano (or similar) across the hole, 4 self tappers and some silicone sealer, it's as good as new.
Blue,  1988  Range Rover 3.5 EFi with plenty of toys bolted on
Chuggaboom, 1995 Range Rover Classic
1995 Range Rover Classic Vogue LSE with 5 big sticks of Blackpool rock under the bonnet.

Offline way2deep

Attack Member
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2008, 23:16:06 »
well ,we went for taking clutch out and fitted new one and no different  :(,, also changed fork  ...gonna try putting longer rod in tomorrow ...ie extend existing one ...as a last resort will cut hole in casing to observe the workings lol...perhaps try winding the fork arm holder out a bit too .. :shock:
robbie

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal