AuthorTopic: Ladies & Gentlemen: Your advice please on colour-coding my new Gulf State grille  (Read 2296 times)

Offline auf_wiedersehen_pet

• Attack: 100
    Defense: 100
    Attack Member
  • Referrals: 0
I've recently bought a new Gulf State/Saudi Grille for the Disco.

I need all your views on which colour to paint it. Take a look at the photos below (badly touched up in Photoshop) and let me know what you think is the best option.

The 1st two photos are the before and after just to give you a flavour of what I'm talking about.

Now here are the options...........

What do you think?

I'm going for something which is clean, simple, sharp, "predatory". Eventually I'm adding a set of black alloys (in the loft at the moment) when I can afford the tyres. They alloys are mocked up below.

Rob Steele

1995 Land Rover Discovery 300 TDi - Everyday Car (Ex Jap)
2007 Toyota Avensis 2.2 T-180 - Sensible Car (Ex TSB Bank)

Guardian.

GOT TO BE BODY COLOUR With black mesh, the doggies!

ben_haynes

I like Option B but i would add a couple of Driving lights behind them that will look Cool and Bling

Offline Disco Matt

Attack Member
Thanks for adding the link - I've been considering one of these for mine but had no idea where to look!
1996 Discovery 300TDI. She's got it where it counts...

Offline Ja1983

Attack Member
  • This week I have mostly been fixing....
think i prefer the origonal one.. less chance of stones been flicked through the rad  :oops:

It has been said that, given enough time, a million monkeys bashing at a million typewriters would eventually produce the complete works of Shakespeare. Thanks to the Saxo forums, we now know this to be wrong

No oil leek = No oil left!

Attack Member
Thanks for adding the link - I've been considering one of these for mine but had no idea where to look!

The 1st batch went in a couple of days. They've posted some more (at a lower price - damn) here.
Rob Steele

Offline Disco Matt

Attack Member
I noticed the lower prices - was tempted to mention this but thought it would probably annoy you!  :lol:

Might well get one, won't be for a couple of weeks though.

Guardian.

are they genuine? at 40 quid theyarecheap for copies as i bought one from landrover about a yearago and it was about 200 quids at the time.

Attack Member
Think they are "new-old" stock. Comes in a proper LR box - very slightly worn. The grille is brand new and wrapped but stamped 1996 in the plastic. Makes no odds though.

I'm really chuffed - I've been looking for 2 years and like you, I've seen them at £200.

:lol: :lol:
Rob Steele

Guardian.

thats a megga bargain then, when you buy them from the main stealers, admittedly you get a choiceof a few meshes (or did), but they were seperate parts, well expensive for what theyare, but look brilliant on the truck.

Offline Disco Matt

Attack Member
Hmm, maybe I shouldn't wait a couple of weeks then!

Guardian.

if you are after one mate id be snapping there hand off, theyare cheap, and not only that, someone known on here has bought one and we  know its good!
go for it.
ps.
v8
v8
v8
v8v8v8v8v8v8v8
i cannot help it now. :D

Offline Disco Matt

Attack Member
Sorry, it's going on a TDI!  :lol:

Will have to think about this. I've already spent £50 on bridging waffles this month so the budget is a bit thin!
« Last Edit: February 03, 2008, 23:27:04 by Disco Matt »

Guardian.

YOU CANNOT HAve budget if you own a landrover or it will never go! :lol:

Offline Disco Matt

Attack Member
True!  :lol:

Seriously thinking about this now, just trying to avoid it becoming another impulse buy!

Offline Range Rover Blues

Attack Member
    • South Yorkshire
T looks pretty tidy as it is TBH.  I think painting the bodywork black to match looks bas, so I'd go for the body colour with black grille.

Wonder if they ever did one for the RRC :-k
Blue,  1988  Range Rover 3.5 EFi with plenty of toys bolted on
Chuggaboom, 1995 Range Rover Classic
1995 Range Rover Classic Vogue LSE with 5 big sticks of Blackpool rock under the bonnet.

Offline Andrew3012

Attack Member
if it were me i'd go for the silver disco look

Offline mobi

Attack Member
i got mine a few week ago when they were a bit cheaper (his prices do very).
i thinking about colour coded with spots behind but i might do the grille in sliver.

Offline Disco Matt

Attack Member
i got mine a few week ago when they were a bit cheaper (his prices do very).

So by the sounds of it they have a fair stock but are just letting them out in small batches? Good news! I'm not 100% convinced either way at the moment, yes they do look very good but that's £50 (including P&P) I should really be saving and putting towards a detachable towbar.  :lol:

Offline mobi

Attack Member
he puts up 10 at a time with prices from £39.50 to £64.00. and postage can be £5 to £10

Offline chiboy

Attack Member
Did mine same colour as car
Green 3.9 v8 Auto on LPG,Green Range Rover LSE Wheels , Roof lights ,Big bore S/S Exhaust , Winch bumper, Spot lights, CB, Safari snorkle,steering guard,jate rings,235,70,16 BFG mud terrains,diff guard, saudi spec grill, 2"LIFT Discoparts tree sliders QT Bonnet pod, 10,000lbs WINCH WITH PLASMA ROPE AND REMOTE

Offline Niel

Attack Member
I've recently bought a new Gulf State/Saudi Grille for the Disco.

I need all your views on which colour to paint it. Take a look at the photos below (badly touched up in Photoshop) and let me know what you think is the best option.

I'm going for something which is clean, simple, sharp, "predatory".
C and fit TD5 lights!

Attack Member
C and fit TD5 lights!

:roll: :roll:

They are TD5 light (early ones). As much as I'd love the latter ones, the price/aggro puts me off!

Current votes...

Option A - 5 votes
Option B - 1 vote
Option C - 1 vote
Rob Steele

Offline mobi

Attack Member
if i get around to fitting mine i'l let you know what C looks like as i got new sticks to go on too. and i have early td5 lights.

Offline stageonesimmo

Attack Member
  • Y'Arte Et Me Arte'ies
Make that one more for Option A................

I do like the idea of the lamps behind it as well...........
Son, life has a habit of kicking you in the ass and i only have vague recollections of when it wasn't kickin mine!

Offline Ja1983

Attack Member
  • This week I have mostly been fixing....
.......I'm going for something which is clean, simple, sharp, "predatory"...

...paint the bit under the eyes...sorry, lights red, then paint big yellow teeth on the mesh!! :clap:

It has been said that, given enough time, a million monkeys bashing at a million typewriters would eventually produce the complete works of Shakespeare. Thanks to the Saxo forums, we now know this to be wrong

No oil leek = No oil left!

Offline marsie

Attack Member
just fitted one to my 1999 v8,painted it all body coloured and also put a lr badge on ;),sorry bout the crappy photo it was taken on my phone :oops:

Paul :twisted:

Offline Disco Matt

Attack Member
Vaguely related question, is it legal to remove the plastic moulding from the middle of a Disco bumper (as in the original post photos)? Just pulled mine off, refitted the numberplate, but wondering if the "lumps" of metal in line with the chassis rails will cause me legal hassle?

Offline hrox

Attack Member
Vaguely related question, is it legal to remove the plastic moulding from the middle of a Disco bumper (as in the original post photos)? Just pulled mine off, refitted the numberplate, but wondering if the "lumps" of metal in line with the chassis rails will cause me legal hassle?

Funny you mention this,  i was stood looking at mine this afternoon thinking that really needs to come off....... so i too would be interested in this answer.  With modded bumpers all over the place i personally dont think there would be an issue but best to be safe then sorry!
Jamie, Shell & the Ankle Biters
--------------------------------------------------
1998 Disco 1
How much fun do you Have in yours???

Dont Steal, The Goverment Hates Competition!

Offline Disco Matt

Attack Member

Funny you mention this,  i was stood looking at mine this afternoon thinking that really needs to come off....... so i too would be interested in this answer.  With modded bumpers all over the place i personally dont think there would be an issue but best to be safe then sorry!

My thoughts exactly - a winch bumper has far more obtrusive sharp edges on the roller fairlead to say nothing of those with protruding recovery points, but I'd rather know before I take it out. If it does have to go back on I'll trim the lower edge to clear the JATE rings (took it off to make them easier to get at).

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal