AuthorTopic: manual or auto..  (Read 343 times)

Offline paul.p

• Attack: 100
    Defense: 100
    Attack Member
  • Referrals: 0
manual or auto..
« on: February 03, 2008, 12:01:38 »
i'm looking at getting another disco with lower milage than mine as mine now 190k, got manul at mo been seen few a few autos with only 90k on clock, and tempted to go for that, just wondered what difference on fuel, for off road, any probs with auto??

Offline SteveGoodz

Attack Member
Re: manual or auto..
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2008, 15:37:48 »
Hi Paul,

I've owned 3 manual Disco 1's in the past (200Tdi, 300Tdi and 3.9V8) and currently have a 300Tdi auto. Each of these vehicles has been both our family car and my weekend toy and were/are virtually unmodified as a result.

From my own perspective I prefer the auto for road driving. It is less effort to drive even if, like me, you use the lock-down feature of the box rather than just sticking it in "D" all the time. I suffer from arthritis in my ankles so not having to continually depress a clutch gives me an easier life when stuck in traffic jams. Performance is much the same between the manual and auto 300Tdi's I've owned by the manual was definitely better on fuel (low 30's compared with low/mid 20's mpg).

Off-tarmac I think the manual box gives a slight advantage due to better engine braking. Having said that, locking the box in 1st provides good retardation. For slippery conditions I find the auto better as it is less prone to inducing wheel spin. I did Soar y Mynydd and Strata Florida a few weeks ago and didn't have any problems ~ although the water was pretty deep in places  :dance:

Overall I would probably go for another automatic if I was looking to to change the current Discovery.

Hope that helps  :lol:
Regards

Steve G
"Paddy" a 1996 3.9 V8 ES Auto Discovery
A re-imported Japanese model running on LPG

Offline Range Rover Blues

Attack Member
    • South Yorkshire
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2008, 17:12:18 »
I'm going to the trouble of swapping my 'box for an auto when time permits.  Smoother power delivery, less likely to bust a half shaft as like he said, less proe to spinning a wheel. You're always in the right gear for that hill and TBH the engine braking on a V8 manual isn't so much better I'd want it back.

You're biggect thing will be the fuel consumption.  I ama real auto convert and TBH I'd really rather drive an auto, for the V8 it makes the best use of the power and for a TDi, well you get used to it I guess and no more clutches buring out (I've done one on Blue in about 10,000 miles) and a much happier life towing the caravan.
Blue,  1988  Range Rover 3.5 EFi with plenty of toys bolted on
Chuggaboom, 1995 Range Rover Classic
1995 Range Rover Classic Vogue LSE with 5 big sticks of Blackpool rock under the bonnet.

Offline mike142sl

Attack Member
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2008, 21:29:07 »
Have to agree with Blue on this. I used to be a real anti auto until I got the V8 Rangie, and then the caravan. Now have a TD5 auto - The auto is much smoother and easier in traffic. Only draw back is the consumption but then again I don't do many miles each year so the actual difference isn't too much for me.
Mike
Disco TD5 Landmark
SYM GTS250i Voyager
Swift Challenger 490

Offline paul.p

Attack Member
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2008, 19:54:44 »
looking at a 2ootdi manual 2moro.... let u know what happens.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal