AuthorTopic: 52mm hub nut tool  (Read 3794 times)

muddymart

52mm hub nut tool
« on: February 02, 2008, 18:47:56 »
I was looking on previous posts about the hub tool , and the link on paddocks and difflock tool shop comes up an error, is there any where else i can purchase one?

i dont want one with the bar, i require the 3/4 or 1/2 drive just in case i have to replace the bearings when i change the discs and pads this week,

thanks

Martin

Offline leo

• Attack: 100
    Defense: 100
    Attack Member
  • Referrals: 0
« Last Edit: February 02, 2008, 18:56:50 by leo »

muddymart

Re: 52mm hub nut tool
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2008, 18:57:57 »
lol LEO i do need one yes anyway... but if ive been told if need to change the bearings i need to torque it up hence the 3/4 1/2 drive tool, if not a standard bar will suffice ..

never give ebay a thought

thanks

Offline jaws

Attack Member
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2008, 20:46:39 »
can borrow mine old lad if ya want pm me yer fone no an i'll get back to ya!it's 1/2" drive even got the specs  on torques if ya need them
if only i was as intelligent as i look!
why do ex's never get the hint...STOP STALKING ME,THIS MEANS YOU!
engaged an never happier!

Offline Range Rover Blues

Attack Member
    • South Yorkshire
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2008, 21:09:02 »
but if ive been told if need to change the bearings i need to torque it up

Who told you that :-.  you set the bearings by endfloat, the easiest way is with feeler guages I find.
Blue,  1988  Range Rover 3.5 EFi with plenty of toys bolted on
Chuggaboom, 1995 Range Rover Classic
1995 Range Rover Classic Vogue LSE with 5 big sticks of Blackpool rock under the bonnet.

Offline jaws

Attack Member
« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2008, 21:15:02 »
"Who told you that   you set the bearings by endfloat, the easiest way is with feeler guages I find."

it's how the manual says to do it...i did it by feel an it's fine!

muddymart

« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2008, 21:16:16 »
you set the bearings by endfloat, the easiest way is with feeler guages I find.

never done bearings before, how would you set them using the above method?

Attack Member
    • South Yorkshire
« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2008, 21:19:08 »
"Who told you that   you set the bearings by endfloat, the easiest way is with feeler guages I find."

it's how the manual says to do it...i did it by feel an it's fine!

Sorry, no punctuation.  That should read

"who told you that?

You set the bearings by endfloat....."

I'm simply wondering who told him he needs to torque the bearings up, he doesn't.

1995 Range Rover Classic Vogue LSE with 5 big sticks of Blackpool rock under the bonnet.

Offline jaws

Attack Member
« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2008, 21:21:58 »
martinwf5...have you got a manual???if not pm me with yer e-mail address an i'll send ya one

rrb...i did it by feel etc, but in the manual it says "torque to x Nm".

Attack Member
    • South Yorkshire
« Reply #9 on: February 02, 2008, 21:25:27 »
you set the bearings by endfloat, the easiest way is with feeler guages I find.

never done bearings before, how would you set them using the above method?

Ok, assuming you have amnaged to get the bearings changed (if not just ask ;)) then with the hub greased up and back in place you are supposed to set the bearing clearence by checking the endfloat, that is the amount of backlash along the axis of the axle.  However if you have fitted new oil seals (you should have) then the lip of the innermost seal will prevent you getting a true reading unless you lever the hub against something.

By far easier is to pop the inner nut on, tighten it finger tight then back off 2 flats.  Fit the lock washer and outer nut hand tight, then levering against the lock washer you compress the bearings, you should then see a gap behind the inner bearing which represents the endfloat.  Measure that gap with the appropriate feeler guage.

Alternatively do like the rest of us and just back the inner nut off 2 flats then tighten it up and have done.  If you can feel the tinyest bit of play with the wheel fatened back on that's great, if it clunks then too loose.

I tried doing mine up then backing off just 90 degrees, you get a really nice sharp brake pedal but the brakes were binding.  If you have a bit more endfloat you get slightly more runout on the disk and that pushes the pads clear ;)

Attack Member
    • South Yorkshire
« Reply #10 on: February 02, 2008, 21:26:25 »
martinwf5...have you got a manual???if not pm me with yer e-mail address an i'll send ya one

rrb...i did it by feel etc, but in the manual it says "torque to x Nm".

I'm going to have to check that :shock:

muddymart

« Reply #11 on: February 02, 2008, 21:28:07 »
hi sorry for some confusion here, but viewing my pdf manual under

54 front axle and final drive:
13: fit hub adjusting nut. Tighten to 61 nm
14: Back off adjusting nut 90dg .Tighten to 4nm this will give the required hub endfloat of 0.010mm
15: Fit a new lock washer.

Offline jaws

Attack Member
« Reply #12 on: February 02, 2008, 21:31:38 »
was just typin that out... :doh:

muddymart

« Reply #13 on: February 02, 2008, 21:51:02 »
lol !!, i'll take the caliper off one day next week and try and play it by feel, its been about 6-7 years since i last did brakes on a rangie, and im sure i just nipped them up and checked for play with the wheel on, if not, i'll do it the haynes way...
thanks

Offline Skibum346

Attack Member
  • T. A. N. S. T. A. A. F. L.
« Reply #14 on: February 02, 2008, 22:41:37 »
I was looking on previous posts about the hub tool , and the link on paddocks and difflock tool shop comes up an error, is there any where else i can purchase one?

i dont want one with the bar, i require the 3/4 or 1/2 drive just in case i have to replace the bearings when i change the discs and pads this week,

thanks

Martin

Not all socket sets come with them these days, but I remember looking at one piece in my old man's set as a kid trying to figure out what on earth it was used for... it was a square drive on a bar that could slide up and down. I discovered it's to fit things like hub nut spanners... slide one end into the two holes at the end, then fit a small/bigg/kinooge ratchet handle as required!

In the pic below it's immediatly above the ratchet handle.

Skibum

Attack Member
    • South Yorkshire
« Reply #15 on: February 02, 2008, 23:05:45 »

14: Back off adjusting nut 90dg .Tighten to 4nm this will give the required hub endfloat of 0.010mm

Manual for which car BTW?

Offline freeagent

Attack Member
« Reply #16 on: February 03, 2008, 10:24:22 »
I've never used a feeler gauge/ torque wrench to set up wheel bearings in the 7 years i've been running a landrover as my only car.
All i do is use the socket on a breaker bar to pull the inner nut up reasonably tight, to seat the bearings, spinning the hub back and forth a few times, the slacken off, remove breaker bar then re-tighten by had just until you feel a bit of resistance.
you can then whack the lock washer and outer nut on.

I'm sure a dozen people will be on here telling me this is the worst way to do it/ i will burn in hell, etc, but it works for me, and I'll continue to do it this way.
1996 300Tdi 3-Door Discovery...

H/D Steering rods, Steering guards, diff guards, discoparts H/D rear bumper, rocksliders with tree bars, 245/75r16 General Grabber AT2's..

muddymart

« Reply #17 on: February 03, 2008, 10:47:51 »

Discovery pdf manual, under front axle and final drive..

Attack Member
    • South Yorkshire
« Reply #18 on: February 04, 2008, 17:06:36 »
I've never used a feeler gauge/ torque wrench to set up wheel bearings in the 7 years i've been running a landrover as my only car.
All i do is use the socket on a breaker bar to pull the inner nut up reasonably tight, to seat the bearings, spinning the hub back and forth a few times, the slacken off, remove breaker bar then re-tighten by had just until you feel a bit of resistance.
you can then whack the lock washer and outer nut on.

I'm sure a dozen people will be on here telling me this is the worst way to do it/ i will burn in hell, etc, but it works for me, and I'll continue to do it this way.

That's quite a common technique TBH, it's what you'll find on stuff like Fords and Vauxhalls.  Also you tend to find that Haynes manuals use that technique rather than the one in the dealer workshop manual.  There's nowt wrong with it except that in doing so you force all the grease ut of the bearings.

Also, the tolerance for wheel bearings has changed a lot since 1970 when the RRC came out, due in part to better compnenets but also to the design of the later axles.  The endfloat on an ABS axle hub needs to be less than the endfloat on the CV joint for example.

The spec's given in the maual for the RRC are based on endfloat measured with a DTI, of couorse we all have one of them kicking about :-k and as the endfloat is difficult to "feel" with a new oil seal I prefer to use feeler guages, they also tend to be closer to hand.

At the ned of the day, some endfloat is ok, none is a problem and if the bearings are running preloaded (torqued up) then make sure you carry a spair set ;)

Offline BK

Attack Member
« Reply #19 on: February 04, 2008, 17:47:53 »
just done mine last week (nacked wheel bearing) with a 52mm box spanner by feel,no probs whatsoever apart from the rain dripping down my neck "oh I long for a garage"
1998 Jeep Cherokee,3" rough country lift,31"Muds,front disconnects,and a custom snorkle..........just lovin it!!!

Offline omara04

Attack Member
  • Sand Rover Disco
« Reply #20 on: February 04, 2008, 19:53:22 »
If you're rummaging around car boot sales look for a 1 1/4 W socket. It's the same size and fits perfectly.

As per the technique, Haynes definitely states tighten by hand, set the endfloat using a DTI and then tighten to torque (130Nm I think it is). I happen to be able to borrow a DTI and this is the method I use, and I reckon it's the most accurate. The problem comes when you tighten up the locknut - invariably the adjuster moves too and you have to slacken thm all off and start again!!  :roll:

Horses for courses though, do whatever works for you!
If it aint muddy, it aint right.
**200TDi Mk1 Disco. +2" britpart/procomp, 33" insa turbo special tracks, Disc Handbrake, superwinch EPi9k,
**2002 Leon Cupra Turbo - The rocket.
**1991 Suzuki Vitara. Gone but not forgotten.

Offline karlo

Attack Member
  • TATA The New Green Oval!
    • Swadlincote, South Derbyshire
« Reply #21 on: February 04, 2008, 20:20:58 »

Manual for which car BTW?

Just checked my rave disc for discovery 1 and it does indeed say that.

Attack Member
    • South Yorkshire
« Reply #22 on: February 05, 2008, 04:08:29 »
If you're rummaging around car boot sales look for a 1 1/4 W socket. It's the same size and fits perfectly.

As per the technique, Haynes definitely states tighten by hand, set the endfloat using a DTI and then tighten to torque (130Nm I think it is). I happen to be able to borrow a DTI and this is the method I use, and I reckon it's the most accurate. The problem comes when you tighten up the locknut - invariably the adjuster moves too and you have to slacken thm all off and start again!!  :roll:

Horses for courses though, do whatever works for you!

Is that the torque for the locknut :huh:

You are right about the backlash in the locknuts too, that's why I said I fit both nuts and the washer before I check the endfloat, it doesn't have to be that tight to eliminate the backlash though.

Offline omara04

Attack Member
  • Sand Rover Disco
« Reply #23 on: February 05, 2008, 16:12:04 »
Something like that. I'll check the haynes when I get home. I think it's 100Nm actually (74lb-ft) wheras the wheelnuts are 130Nm, but it's a fair old whack.
If it aint muddy, it aint right.
**200TDi Mk1 Disco. +2" britpart/procomp, 33" insa turbo special tracks, Disc Handbrake, superwinch EPi9k,
**2002 Leon Cupra Turbo - The rocket.
**1991 Suzuki Vitara. Gone but not forgotten.

Attack Member
    • South Yorkshire
« Reply #24 on: February 05, 2008, 18:48:08 »
It would need to be quite tight given how big the nuts are.

Offline daveyravey

Attack Member
« Reply #25 on: February 05, 2008, 18:59:38 »

thanks

Martin

Not all socket sets come with them these days, but I remember looking at one piece in my old man's set as a kid trying to figure out what on earth it was used for... it was a square drive on a bar that could slide up and down. I discovered it's to fit things like hub nut spanners... slide one end into the two holes at the end, then fit a small/bigg/kinooge ratchet handle as required!

In the pic below it's immediatly above the ratchet handle.

Skibum

It's called a "tommy bar" Frank   ;)
Landyless

Offline BK

Attack Member
« Reply #26 on: February 05, 2008, 22:42:32 »
ive never bothered with a torque wrench and i never have a problem,i just use the hub spanner with a long screwdriver stuck through it and just tighten it up
1998 Jeep Cherokee,3" rough country lift,31"Muds,front disconnects,and a custom snorkle..........just lovin it!!!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal