AuthorTopic: Lake District  (Read 2038 times)

Offline RutSurfer

• Attack: 100
    Defense: 100
    Attack Member
  • Referrals: 0
Lake District
« on: February 01, 2008, 03:41:06 »
Hi all off to Lake District in April for 2 wks camping never been before, unfortunately out of fishing season{ pike ] any info on places to see & go and some Green Lanes would be appreciated, cheers.

Offline Bush Tucker Man

Attack Member
Re: Lake District
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2008, 12:14:53 »
Some of the lane are closed under 'NERC' now. Others are by permit.

Ask in the Green-Laning section, & someone will have the relevant information/links

Most of the towns are worth a visit

For example;
Keswick.
A glorious setting on the north-east corner of Derwent Water.
It's the home to 'The Cars Of The Stars' museum (check for opening times via phone/e-mail)
It includes such vehicles as; 3 BatMobiles, General Lee, FAB 1, A-Team van, Munsters car & the 'Police Interceptor' from 'Mad Max' (yes, the actual film car!)
George Fisher is a veritable cornucopia of Gore-Tex, boots & 'red-socks' (but still worth a visit)

Cockermouth. West of Keswick, along the A66 (birthplace of our very 'Thrasher', if I remember correctly :-k)
Nice little town

Coniston. The village that was home to Donald Campbells record attempts on the BlueBird K7 boat, & now has memorials to him (& Leo Villa), plus Campbells grave. Go & pay your respects to a brave man.

Ambleside. Touristy, like Windermere &  Bowness further down the lake, but still worthy of a visit

Kendal. Once a very busy market town, as the A6 passes right though the centre, but when the M6 opened (& by passed it), it quietened down.
It's one end of the wonderful 'Shap' road, which is a wonderful drive not matter what the weather (but could be very scary, if not downright deadly in winter!!)

Plus....... there's the wonderful LakeLand passes :clap: :clap:
Kirkstone is the easiest of the lot (Ambleside to Glenridding)
Hard-Knott  & Wrynose are co-joined, they are truely spectacular!! (Skelwith Bridge to Ravensglass)
Honister, at the southern end of Borrowdale is perhaps the steepest of the lot

However, beware of any of the passes if the weather turns bad whilst you're there! (& with respect at any time though!)

There's a few images from these places on my 'www', so have a look at them
Richard A Thackeray 
Defender 110Td5 'Heritage Gone, but not forgotten
Jaguar XKR; X88 JLT, also 'gone, but not forgotten'

Yorkshire Born & Bred, and proud of it.

"You Can Allus Tell A Yorkshireman, But You Can't tell Him Owt!"

Offline ChrisV8

Attack Member
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2008, 12:38:05 »
I live just t'other side of the M6 from Kendal. lots of lanes available depends how brave you are on some, most are passable with a standard vehicle.

All the details are on the Lake district National park site, please read the "rules" and abide by them we have enough bother with the Commercial pillock who ignores a lot of the directional requests, so don't ask Kankhu for advice please. If you have lots of dosh to spare he will take it off you with great pleasure !

Link to where all the info is

http://www.lake-district.gov.uk/index/enjoying/outdoors/green_roads.htm

Have a look and if you want advice on what lanes are like give me a pm and I can tell you as I use a lot of them regularly.
1982 Range Rover 200tdi inside
1993 LR 90 rebuild Project
2008 Jeep Patriot wondrous 45mpg VW diesel powered 4x4 road car

Offline Defender

Attack Member
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2008, 14:52:56 »
As Chris said, check out the lists of lanes on the LDNPA website. It has most of the lanes in the National Park listed, but does not include any outside the National Park such as Breasthigh Road.
You will need O.S. Landranger sheets 97 & 90. Sheets 96 & 91 are also handy for the outer edges of the Lakes.
If you have any queries about specific lanes, just PM Chris or myself & I'm sure we can help.  :D
Paul.
GLASS Lancs & Cumbria Rep.

Offline Bush Tucker Man

Attack Member
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2008, 18:43:24 »
Hi all off to Lake District in April for 2 wks camping

Dependant on which way you decide to travel northwards, but watch out for the speed cameras on the A65 if you come that way (via West Yorkshire) in order to go diagonally across country
Richard A Thackeray 
Defender 110Td5 'Heritage Gone, but not forgotten
Jaguar XKR; X88 JLT, also 'gone, but not forgotten'

Yorkshire Born & Bred, and proud of it.

"You Can Allus Tell A Yorkshireman, But You Can't tell Him Owt!"

Offline RutSurfer

Attack Member
« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2008, 14:18:46 »
Thanks for quick response , information and advice, much appreicated ,cant wait to get there now. :clap:

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal