AuthorTopic: 200tdi head help.  (Read 811 times)

Offline ferret

• Attack: 100
    Defense: 100
    Attack Member
  • Referrals: 0
200tdi head help.
« on: January 26, 2008, 21:43:19 »
Removed the rocker assy today thinking i will be removeing the head but found the tapping noise to be one of the little caps had fell of the top of one of the valves.....quick fix........but i also found a part floating around in there i cant identify.???????

Its a little steel tube 11mm wide by 12mm long with a small chamfer on the outside edges at each end and its not one of the smaller tube/spacers that fit in the cover.

can anyone tell me where its from, as i suspect its been there a very long time
aka paul*

Offline Les Henson

Attack Member
  • Is it supposed to do that?
Re: 200tdi head help.
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2008, 22:20:39 »
Sounds like one of the rocker shaft pillar locating dowels.

Les.

Offline Evilgoat

Attack Member
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2008, 22:38:46 »
There is an oilway at the back of the rocker shaft, this has a small chamfered metal tube in it. This fell out of mine when I took the shaft off as it only sits in there, sounds very much like what you are describing.
I must confess the the activities of the UK governments for the past couple of years have been watched with frank admiration and amazement by Lord Vetinari. Outright theft as a policy had never occured to him.

-- (Terry Pratchett, alt.fan.pratchett)

EX HK Police Mitsubishi Pajero 2.8TD
Audi S2 Avant 360bhp
Transit LWB 2.5di (The Shed)

Offline ferret

Attack Member
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2008, 22:45:17 »
There is an oilway at the back of the rocker shaft, this has a small chamfered metal tube in it. This fell out of mine when I took the shaft off as it only sits in there, sounds very much like what you are describing.
If its what you say then the other end is missing as i looked there and it fitted but as there was not one on the other end i took it out.  I there one in the back of the rocker shaft but not in the front as i found it at the back area of the head so your sugegion is plausable. In fact would it make any difference if i left it out or should i remove the shaft ond fit it.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2008, 22:49:48 by ferret »
aka paul*

Offline Evilgoat

Attack Member
« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2008, 23:05:02 »
There is only one on the back end. This feeds the rockers with oil. I'd suggest not putting it in may lead to lack of lubrication on the rockers as thats just bolted down there and there is no gasket et. I'm now sure this is what you have found. As you lifted the rocker shaft out it would have just dropped into the top of the engine where you found it.
I must confess the the activities of the UK governments for the past couple of years have been watched with frank admiration and amazement by Lord Vetinari. Outright theft as a policy had never occured to him.

-- (Terry Pratchett, alt.fan.pratchett)

EX HK Police Mitsubishi Pajero 2.8TD
Audi S2 Avant 360bhp
Transit LWB 2.5di (The Shed)

Offline ferret

Attack Member
« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2008, 09:12:15 »
Thanks, it looks like ive got to get the shaft off again but im happy i found the tapping noise was only a top hat had fell off.
aka paul*

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal