AuthorTopic: vit ecu  (Read 1351 times)

Offline steviesuzy

• Attack: 100
    Defense: 100
    Attack Member
  • Referrals: 0
vit ecu
« on: January 26, 2008, 15:43:12 »
just got myself a 93 1.6 spi vit with the ecu dead,any body know if the engine can be started by running a live upto the injector unit ,or does anybody know a way of doing it,many thanks.

Offline steviesuzy

Attack Member
Re: vit ecu
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2008, 17:04:15 »
just had top of injector and put a drop of fuel in and it started up,proving its got spark,but injector not working,anyone got any info on this,cheers.

Offline Evilgoat

Attack Member
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2008, 19:15:59 »
Check the wiring. Someone had this a few months back and although it was the ECU it was repairable.

The injector is modulated so just wiring it to +12 wont work, it'll overfuel and possibly burn out.
I must confess the the activities of the UK governments for the past couple of years have been watched with frank admiration and amazement by Lord Vetinari. Outright theft as a policy had never occured to him.

-- (Terry Pratchett, alt.fan.pratchett)

EX HK Police Mitsubishi Pajero 2.8TD
Audi S2 Avant 360bhp
Transit LWB 2.5di (The Shed)

Offline steviesuzy

Attack Member
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2008, 19:40:29 »
got ecu off and opened up,all visually looks ok,no signs of burnt parts and the board looks ok,also dosnt smell of burnt electrical bits.checked wiring to injector,with ignition off both were earth,when ignition on couldnt detect a feed on my test light,i believe the injector is triggered from the ecu,or does anybody know any different.checked the big fuses under the bonnet and all ok,will check through wiring tomorrow,keep the ideas coming,cheers chaps.

Offline Evilgoat

Attack Member
« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2008, 22:52:34 »
Injector is fired by the ecu via something called PWM

The time on VS the time its off is varied, the longer its on, the more fuel is injected and the longer it is off does the reverse. The time on is calculated by the ECU based on vacuum level, throttle position, exhaust O2 content and other variables.

Using the wiring diagram you should be able to verify the wiring is good but the injectors can and do fail. I think, not sure and wil check tomorrow, that the haynes manual gives the readings and information on testing the injector.

It does sond like something is goosed and I'd say injector or ECU. There is a fuse under the dash for the FI so check that. From memory the ECU suffered from dry joints somewhere but I really cant reccomend opening it and looking unless you know your stuff, its normally pretty easy to kill them.
I must confess the the activities of the UK governments for the past couple of years have been watched with frank admiration and amazement by Lord Vetinari. Outright theft as a policy had never occured to him.

Audi S2 Avant 360bhp

Offline steviesuzy

Attack Member
« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2008, 22:57:07 »
thanks for the info,yer ,checked the fuse under dash and seem ok.can hear fuel pump purging aswell,so that seems ok.would be great to get readings and how to check the injector tho.can you recommend any one that repairs ecu,s???????

Offline steviesuzy

Attack Member
« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2008, 23:00:56 »
forgot to say,theres another module bolted up near the management ecu,can anybody tell me what this is for,central locking,alarm...??????

Offline Evilgoat

Attack Member
« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2008, 23:06:53 »
I cant remeber if the cfi system runs from the ignition ECU or not. If not it'll be the ignition ecu/amp. In mine this is sat up behind the fusebox and is a damn great silver thing.

Its worth getting  haynes book of les if only cause you'll get all the trouque settings etc and it'll take far too long for me to type in all the tests :)

Audi S2 Avant 360bhp

Offline steviesuzy

Attack Member
« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2008, 13:13:31 »
the latest.....put jump leads and it started but idled high and the cat stunk.turned it off and it wouldnt start again and relays started buzzing again.put jump leads back on and it started,any ideas chaps??????????????????????

Offline Evilgoat

Attack Member
« Reply #9 on: January 27, 2008, 13:43:26 »
Disconnect the battery and charge it. While its charging remove every wiring connector in sight (one at a time) and clean and remate them. Its probobly the low voltage from the battery.

The Cat stinking means that it is probobly goosed, on a 93 I think you MIGHT get away with a de-cat pipe.

Audi S2 Avant 360bhp

Offline steviesuzy

Attack Member
« Reply #10 on: January 27, 2008, 21:35:04 »
latest update.....problem sorted,fitted another ecu and bingo,started on the button.just done 15 mile roadtest and all fine.thanks for everyones help with the prob.me happy chappy again....lol

Offline basher,tong

Attack Member
« Reply #11 on: January 27, 2008, 23:16:06 »
told you it would be the ECU. :cool:

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal