AuthorTopic: Gearbox identification  (Read 2365 times)

Offline Chomp

• Attack: 100
    Defense: 100
    Attack Member
  • Referrals: 0
Gearbox identification
« on: January 19, 2008, 19:57:32 »
Hi - just wondered if anyone could help me identify if this gearbox number 50A0125628D is compatible to my 200tdi engine in my 90?
Ive had a LARGE estimate from the local garage to recondition the orginal one and cant strech to that sort of money at the moment, so I was thinking of buying this second hand on that has been offered to me, hopefully keeping it for a while, and if need be replace it with a reconditioned one later on.
I am unable to read the numbers off of my 90 at the moment as its still at the mechanics.
Ive looked around the internet to try and find 'how to identify' which gearboxes are sutible without very much luck - i cant find any reference to a gearbox starting 50A

Any help will be very much apriciated

Mark

Wolfie

Re: Gearbox identification
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2008, 21:39:35 »
Have a look at http://www.ashcroft-transmissions.co.uk/category_5.html

50A is a longstck box, but there's more information to help identify what you have.

Offline Chomp

Attack Member
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2008, 22:09:47 »
Thanks for that information wolfie. Isee that it is indeed a longstick. I'll have to look into it futher to see if it its compatable with the 200tdi engine.
much apriciated
Mark

Offline ChrisV8

Attack Member
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2008, 22:17:00 »
You need long stick with short bell housing i think, there are some around with V8 bellhousing which won't work. Needs to come off a tdi or td or normal aspirated diesel.
1982 Range Rover 200tdi inside
1993 LR 90 rebuild Project
2008 Jeep Patriot wondrous 45mpg VW diesel powered 4x4 road car

Offline Chomp

Attack Member
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2008, 22:48:03 »
Thanks for that - The guy that has the gearbox forsale toook it out of his n/a.  Just a side question, that transfer box should conect to it ok? shouldn't it??

Offline Range Rover Blues

Attack Member
    • South Yorkshire
« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2008, 04:51:51 »
AFAIK all transfer boxs are interchangeable.  The LT230 can easily be swapped with a Borg Warner and auto boxes are the same as manual, so it's only the cogs inside you need to worry about.
Blue,  1988  Range Rover 3.5 EFi with plenty of toys bolted on
Chuggaboom, 1995 Range Rover Classic
1995 Range Rover Classic Vogue LSE with 5 big sticks of Blackpool rock under the bonnet.

Offline Chomp

Attack Member
« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2008, 09:55:01 »
Blimey!! four o'clock in the morning - dont you ever sleep??

After some investigation I've worked out it will be ok for my landy. The only down side is aparently the 'D' at the end of the identification number makes reference to the 'weaker' gearbox, but looking at it theat gearbox was in production up until 1994, so it must be farily strong.
Just got to work out if its a job I'll give a go myself, or whether i'll get the mechanic to give it a go!!

Thanks for all the responses and helpful advise, it is very much apriciated guys.
Mark

Guardian.

« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2008, 21:08:58 »
ive just had a 'brand new' gearbox (not recon) from ashcroft and its gone tits up, not having a lot of luck with my 110 at the moment, been built for about 2 months with all new components and already the engine has blown, and the gearbox has trashed itself. mr ashcroft is apparently very keen to have a look inside to see whats happened.

Offline Chomp

Attack Member
« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2008, 21:31:30 »
Ashcroft must have given warrenty on it? Do they actually build the new gearboxes, or only recondition the old ones? Doesnt sound like your luck's been too good lately.
I'm going give it a go at fitting this secondhand box(curtious of the haynes manual), so fingers crossed it all goes well. Ive got to use a sealing compound when I put it back together on the bell housing, anyone know what the best is to use??
Thanks

Offline ChrisV8

Attack Member
« Reply #9 on: January 21, 2008, 13:39:53 »
Some advice First get a cradle to hold the box or a crane to hold it up while you lower it to the floor ! It's heavy !

Have a look here to see how to do it in pictures

http://forums.lr4x4.com/index.php?showtopic=6840
1982 Range Rover 200tdi inside
1993 LR 90 rebuild Project
2008 Jeep Patriot wondrous 45mpg VW diesel powered 4x4 road car

Guardian.

« Reply #10 on: January 21, 2008, 16:28:18 »
YES ITS UNDERWARRANTY, ITS NOT DONE 2 MONTHS, AND NO ASHCROFT DONT BUILD THE NEW ONES, LIKE THE NEW AXLES WE GOT FROM THEM, for some reason land rover justsell of batches of gear from time to time.
im justwaiting for me mate up the garage to get the engine and box out so  they can both get sent back and changed / sorted. :angry:
axles and everything else so far ok im glad to report

Offline Tommo

Attack Member
« Reply #11 on: January 21, 2008, 21:15:55 »
YES ITS UNDERWARRANTY, ITS NOT DONE 2 MONTHS, AND NO ASHCROFT DONT BUILD THE NEW ONES, LIKE THE NEW AXLES WE GOT FROM THEM, for some reason land rover justsell of batches of gear from time to time.
im justwaiting for me mate up the garage to get the engine and box out so  they can both get sent back and changed / sorted. :angry:
axles and everything else so far ok im glad to report

Its probably the same kit they flog to the MOD. my dad was in the RAF, they got a load of new landys and under the bonetts of a few of em it said in chalk "reject, for military use only"
Land Rover Tourettes Crew

www.sniff-my-diff.com

Offline Chomp

Attack Member
« Reply #12 on: January 22, 2008, 11:33:09 »
Well that's comforting to know - the guys out there risking their lives for us at home have possibily got a dodgy gerabox fitted, just what you want when you come under fire!!
« Last Edit: January 27, 2008, 17:17:55 by Chomp »

Offline Chomp

Attack Member
« Reply #13 on: January 27, 2008, 17:21:47 »
Cheers for all the help guys. I picked the replacement gearbox up on saturday, gave it a good clean and from the outside it seems in good condition.
I'm hopefully going to try and get the old one out next weekend and refit the replacement the following weekend.
Just out of interest, does anyone know if there is a gasket between the main gearbox and the transfer box? Or is it just sealed with a sealing compound like the bellhousing?

Thanks

Offline Chomp

Attack Member
« Reply #14 on: February 02, 2008, 17:41:00 »
Well after the shock of the mechanic quote and the offer from one of the lads on another forum I decided to give the gearbox changeover a go myself(with no real experience).
With the help of the missus and later the father in law we've now managed to get the gearbox out 8-)
Ive got to get all the bits transfered accros the transferbox etc and clean and rust protect where the cross member sits, and then hopefully I'll be able to refit the replacement box next weekend(a bit optermistic)!! ;DNot looking forward to that bit as there are two bolts that are blooming hard to get to(which I missed when trying to take it out) next to the clutch cylinder. If anyione has any tips PLEASE let me know ;)
A couple of photos, only cause I cant believe I acually got around to doing it ;D

Offline zulublue

Attack Member
« Reply #15 on: February 02, 2008, 19:07:44 »
Hi Chomp,

I am just going through the same thing with my LT77 gearbox and LT230 T-Box (LT-230 was knackered), Solihull Mick gave me good price for doing the work, but as I am off on holiday very soon I cannot stretch to that as well, I managed to get a second hand T-box off a MC member which seems to be good, but I know there is a common problem with the splines on the mainshaft in the gearbox which wears down, I took my T-box off today and yes the splines had almost gone on the G-box, my mate had a spare gearbox and t-box, but we split that and the splines were gone on that also.
So I need either a recon box or a repair my original. due to funds I think a new mainshaft and seals will be the way to go, quoted £175 for a replacement and fitting.

So if I was you, before you fit the unit in to your 90, I would take 20 minutes out to split the t-box from the G-box and check the splines, they should be flat on the top and not worn to a 45 degree angle like mine, I know its a pain, but it will save you a lot of time and money in the future.

Mark.

Offline Chomp

Attack Member
« Reply #16 on: February 02, 2008, 19:31:38 »
Hi Mark - I'll be removing the tansfer box one night this week, so I'll look then - thanks for the 'heads up'  :)
 I'm also waiting for a new clutch, prop shalft bolts etc to come. I was recommend to replace the clutch while the box was out, so I thought I'd give it a go

Mark - is there a gasket between the transfer box and the main gearbox? Just would like to know before I start work on it . I'd rather have all the bits in front of me, rather than find out when Ive taken it apart and wait for the bits to be delivered

Mark

Offline Range Rover Blues

Attack Member
    • South Yorkshire
« Reply #17 on: February 02, 2008, 22:06:39 »
No mate, the T-box and G box fit with a sealing compound.  That said there is also an oil seal on each so you are effectively sealing a dry space.  If you look hard you should find there's a drain on this space, to let oil out if it leaks.  The space just prevent mud getting to the gearboc oil seals whwre it can't be cleaned off.

Any sealer will do, I used a silicone sealer but red hermetite, instant gasket etc etc will do the job.

Later LT230s had a cross-drilled gear in the T-box to prevent the spline wear, recon boxes should have the same gear.  It's worth noting that the B_W T-Box doesn't cause this wear, so boxs from RRC are a good bet second hand from that point of view, though I think they are a different length to the Defender box (V8 and TDi are different to each other).
Blue,  1988  Range Rover 3.5 EFi with plenty of toys bolted on
Chuggaboom, 1995 Range Rover Classic
1995 Range Rover Classic Vogue LSE with 5 big sticks of Blackpool rock under the bonnet.

Offline Chomp

Attack Member
« Reply #18 on: February 03, 2008, 08:34:10 »
Thanks for the advise Range Rover Blues, "every little helps" ;) :grin: :grin: :grin:

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal