AuthorTopic: cv joint replacement  (Read 686 times)

colintandy

cv joint replacement
« on: January 19, 2008, 10:34:26 »
can someone please remind me the correct procedure for replacing a cv joint is going into a 1992 rangerover vogue 3.9 v8

thanks colin

Offline Range Rover Blues

• Attack: 100
    Defense: 100
    Attack Member
    • South Yorkshire
  • Referrals: 0
Re: cv joint replacement
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2008, 17:44:40 »
Depends whether it's go ABS or not as the CV joints are different.

But basically, wheel off, calliper off.

Drive member off, this is the first part that could be either or.  With non-ABS it's just 5 bolts, with ABS it's the CV joint circlip, save the shims from under it and then 5 bolts.

Remove the hub

Remove the stub axle.  The either type of CV should come out if they are "standard" ie not oversize.  You will probably have the whole halfshaft come out if they are the ABS axles, you need to grip the shaft carefully in a vice and tap the old CV off in that case (IIRC it's a sanp ring and not a circlip, if I'm wrong there will be a small cutout in the back of the CV for the heads of the circlip).

Start to reassemble, having cleaned up any mess and bits of old CV joint.  Use new gaskets smeared with grease.

When you come to replace the drive member, on a non ABS axle you just keep reassembling, but on the ABS axle you have to set the endfloat of the hub, then set the endfloat of the CV joint, which needs to be bigger than that in the hub.  THAT'S WHAT THE SHIMS DO and this is very important.  I'd put money on the old ones being wrong at this stage and new ones I'm told are expensive-dealer only last time I asked.

Once done you reasemble any big bits still on the drive ;)
Blue,  1988  Range Rover 3.5 EFi with plenty of toys bolted on
Chuggaboom, 1995 Range Rover Classic
1995 Range Rover Classic Vogue LSE with 5 big sticks of Blackpool rock under the bonnet.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal