AuthorTopic: can't get 1981 109 into 4WD  (Read 837 times)

Offline blueboar

• Attack: 100
    Defense: 100
    Attack Member
  • Referrals: 0
can't get 1981 109 into 4WD
« on: January 18, 2008, 18:31:16 »
Posted for a friend

I know a chap who just bought a 1981 109 2.5L diesel and it won't seem to go into 4WD. He lives in the snow, and it's embarassing that the truck won't even go up my driveway. The Fairey hubs are in 4WD (although he has tried both settings) and  tried seemingly every combination of the transfer lever, transmission (manual, obviously), etc. Can anyone help?
I'm usually pretty good with this stuff, but this thing is bizarre.
Grant me the senility to forget the people I never liked anyway,
the good fortune to run into the ones I do,
and the eyesight to tell the difference.

series 3 88   x 2
series 3 109 x 2
series 3 stage 1 Carawagon
300tdi auto disco
td5 disco
series 2a 88
90 td
Mitsubushi Shogun Sport 2.5 TD Warrior

Offline S188

Attack Member
Re: can't get 1981 109 into 4WD
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2008, 19:33:25 »
In its simplest form, low range is always perminant locked 4WD, so put it in low box.  Crall underneath and try rocking the propshaft, it should be locked so it turns with the rear propshaft.  If it does, this is good!  When the box is put into high range and the yellow button is aloud to pop up (if it was depressed for some resion it should pop up as you entered low range) the propshaft should now not be locked to the rear axle.  If for some resion this isn't happening you have a fault with the transfer box.

Next up is the front axle, jack up both wheels and surport on axle stands.  When playing with the FWH you should be able to feal one setting is definately free and the other is definately turning the halfshaft aswell.  Turn both hubs to this position (4x4 or locked).  You should now find spinning one wheel will make the other turn backwards or the prop turn.  If you stop one wheel turning at all by putting it on the ground, the turnable wheel should turn the propshaft.  If it doesn't then eather a hub or an halfshaft is broken.  Try eather side.  Last test is repeat this with the transferbox in 4wd (low range or yellow button) - you shouldn't be able to turn the 1 wheel off the ground now.  If you can the splines on the propshaft have probubly gone alowing one end to turn and the other spin free.

Some people find the transmition a bit confusing but they aren't really that bad once you work out exactly what each bit does...

Transfer box works as follows, High range = RWD, press yellow for 4wd
Transer neutral and low range are both always perminant 4wd (like having a centre difflock engeaged).  To cansel high range 4WD you need to go into low range and the button will pop up.
FWHubs are extra to this, they just disconect the halfshafts from the hubs - you'll want both locked to be able to get 4wd.  Only unlock both together when your useing RWD high range.  Leaving them locked all the time or removing them all together does no harm, infact I'd recomend binning them if you use 4wd most the time, they are simply more to break.

If you notice the landy apears to be Front wheel drive only and wont drive atall in high range without the yellow button you've bust a rear halfshaft.
Glen
1956 88" Station Wagon
1992 VW Transporter Syncro
19** assorted broken machinery

Offline electricbluebadger

Attack Member
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2008, 22:03:29 »
Very quick test would be jack the rear wheels off the ground put in 4wd and gently let clutch up , if it trys to pull forward then front axle is turning and working... best doing this on a trolley jack so it can creep forward, my money would be on half shaft first, then knackered FWH, finally a broken diff, but with the last you normally get noise, clunks, grinding cogs etc

Cheers Steve

Offline blueboar

Attack Member
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2008, 13:36:46 »
Many thanks for the replys
Grant me the senility to forget the people I never liked anyway,
the good fortune to run into the ones I do,
and the eyesight to tell the difference.

series 3 88   x 2
series 3 109 x 2
series 3 stage 1 Carawagon
300tdi auto disco
td5 disco
series 2a 88
90 td
Mitsubushi Shogun Sport 2.5 TD Warrior

Offline dave_2A_2.25Turbo

Attack Member
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2008, 23:32:16 »
Check it's still got both props.
Dave
1963 S2A
1992 Disco 200TDi
Sankey Widetrack

Offline Range Rover Blues

Attack Member
    • South Yorkshire
« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2008, 01:17:34 »
Put it in 2wd and crawl underneath.  If you can turn the front prop then the hubs aren't locked up, if you can't they have locked up and the problem is in the transfer box.

If the hubs are goosed it might be cheaper to bin them.
Blue,  1988  Range Rover 3.5 EFi with plenty of toys bolted on
Chuggaboom, 1995 Range Rover Classic
1995 Range Rover Classic Vogue LSE with 5 big sticks of Blackpool rock under the bonnet.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal