AuthorTopic: BURBLE VS MPG ?  (Read 1174 times)

Offline barriesheene

• Attack: 100
    Defense: 100
    Attack Member
  • Referrals: 0
BURBLE VS MPG ?
« on: January 15, 2008, 11:04:51 »
Hi all  :D Has anyone on here noticed a significant drop in mpg after removing the back box from there rangie ? Just came back from an offroading trip to a local disused quarry and used TWICE the amount of petrol that i used last time. The only diffrence being the altered exhaust system.Would the exhaust cause this big a diffrence or should I be checking for leaks ? Is there a way to check the fuel system ?
thanks Baz
CBR900RR FIREBLADE ( urban tiger GGRRRRRR !!!!!) SOLD needed money to fix the rangie
2.5 PAJERO LWB EXCEED
AVONDALE MAYFLY SOLD needed money to fix the rangie
RANGEROVER 3.9 V8 STRAIGHT THROUGH EXHAUST AND VERY MUDDY :) makes me laugh everytime i rev it

Guardian.

Re: BURBLE VS MPG ?
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2008, 12:35:29 »
BACKBOX WOULD Not cause twice as much fuel or anywere near, theres something else going on there.

Offline barriesheene

Attack Member
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2008, 01:09:19 »
[PooPoo] !  :evil:
CBR900RR FIREBLADE ( urban tiger GGRRRRRR !!!!!) SOLD needed money to fix the rangie
2.5 PAJERO LWB EXCEED
RANGEROVER 3.9 V8 STRAIGHT THROUGH EXHAUST AND VERY MUDDY :) makes me laugh everytime i rev it

Offline Range Rover Blues

Attack Member
    • South Yorkshire
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2008, 02:54:40 »
Yeah, stop revving it to hear how cool it sounds.

I put a sports pipe on the LSE and it made it worse on fuel, but I kept getting everywhere faster.  Turn up the radio and stop listneing to the pipe ;)
Blue,  1988  Range Rover 3.5 EFi with plenty of toys bolted on
Chuggaboom, 1995 Range Rover Classic
1995 Range Rover Classic Vogue LSE with 5 big sticks of Blackpool rock under the bonnet.

Offline barriesheene

Attack Member
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2008, 11:38:02 »
 To be honest rangerover blue's I'm down on power to make it worse.
2.5 PAJERO LWB EXCEED

Offline Skibum346

Attack Member
  • T. A. N. S. T. A. A. F. L.
« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2008, 15:50:17 »

I'm no expert but to me that sounds like there is a mixture problem. I've heard that in some cases the ECU uses a "Get You Home" mode that ignores all the sensors and just chucks fuel down the throat of the engine... could that be it?

Skibum

Offline Range Rover Blues

Attack Member
    • South Yorkshire
« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2008, 17:34:49 »

I'm no expert but to me that sounds like there is a mixture problem. I've heard that in some cases the ECU uses a "Get You Home" mode that ignores all the sensors and just chucks fuel down the throat of the engine... could that be it?

Skibum

The hot-wire EFi does have "redundancy" in the sensors, depending how many are fitted.  My LSE will run without an AFM and Blue has no Lambdas, road speed sensor or Air valve but it's quite economical, for a V8.

Barrie, if you are down on power then the lack of economy goes with it. Whether it's down to the exhaust I can't say, it's possibly you have overdone it though.

I know some engine tuners will test a big bore exhaust by fitting a restricter to the tail end (a narrower pipe) that will overcome the effects of an excessive bore, somehting for you to try.
Blue,  1988  Range Rover 3.5 EFi with plenty of toys bolted on
Chuggaboom, 1995 Range Rover Classic
1995 Range Rover Classic Vogue LSE with 5 big sticks of Blackpool rock under the bonnet.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal