AuthorTopic: 110 Brake problem  (Read 1937 times)

Offline BPM

• Attack: 100
    Defense: 100
    Attack Member
  • Referrals: 0
110 Brake problem
« on: January 13, 2008, 22:02:25 »
Help please. I bought a hybrid with 110 chassis and running gear, before I got round to taking the drums off (after several months admittedly) the brakes failed and the light came on. Being short of time I took it to the garage who returned her working great.
A couple of weeks later the brakes got worse and had to be pressed twice to get good braking but once 'pumped up' worked perfectly, until next time. So I changed the front pads, still no good so back to the garage. They tried work on the adjuster which was worn on one side as a test and the brakes were 50% better, the pedal not being at the top but working fully without hitting the floor or pumping, so as agreed returned her for the other side. On collection everything was great or so i thought until about a week later the pedals making it's way slowly south again.
 Sorry for rambling but I thought the full story might help, any ideas? Please, she's my daily drive and it's doing my head in now.

Offline mroxo

Attack Member
    • Bedford
  • Referrals: 1
Re: 110 Brake problem
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2008, 23:46:54 »
I take it the garage know what they are doing with landies?
Make sure you have no play in the front swivels or wheel bearings as this can push the front pistons in.
Are you loosing any fluid?
Has the master cylinder been tested (clamp off all hoses and push brake pedal. If it moves the seals are gone inside)?
I love to get my landy down and dirty

Offline Range Rover Blues

Attack Member
    • South Yorkshire
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2008, 03:51:52 »
Excessive brake pedal travel.

Bleeding the brakes, which should be done after fitting new pads-when you push the pistons in they draw in air )don't ask me how, they just do).

Mostl likely culprit, especially if the pedal is firm once pumped is wheel bearings.

Are you getting brake judder at all? a warped disk can also cause excessive travel.

Once the brakes have "pumped up" are they ok for a minute or so? (more accurately for a couple of corners).
Blue,  1988  Range Rover 3.5 EFi with plenty of toys bolted on
Chuggaboom, 1995 Range Rover Classic
1995 Range Rover Classic Vogue LSE with 5 big sticks of Blackpool rock under the bonnet.

Offline markyb

Attack Member
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2008, 16:42:22 »
brake shoes last 5 mins if your offroading a lot?

If the adjusters have been spun and around and around i find they wear though the adjust pins, might be time for new pads. ive had my defender 110 a year and im on my 3rd set and they are knackered.

DISC converstion already on going.........
Cheers Markyb
Defender 110
Discovery

Offline BPM

Attack Member
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2008, 21:04:32 »
Thanks folks,
Mroxo
Tried wheel bearings, we replaced one set on the front as thought this might be the problem but no difference. No fluid loss I'll have to have a go at the master cylinder test you suggest but pedal is really firm once pumped.

Range rover blues,
I haven't bled the front brakes I wasn't aware of this so thanks I'll have to try it when i can get a willing helper round no judder and discs seem fine as are bearings.

Markyb
The new shoes are wearing fast due to off roading but there's plenty of life in them at the moment, I'm tempted with the disc conversion but the cost is a problem at the moment. I think the adjusters are probably a bit worn but the brakes seem to pump up and stay up for a good while at the minute, I assume a wobbly or spinning adjuster would mean the cylinders coming out futher and if the brakes are not used regulary, corner to corner for example the pedal would need pumping again?

Offline TDi90

Attack Member
  • Rolly - Under Construction...
« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2008, 21:06:43 »
cost? £50 quid for a rangie rear axel. - yes it will fit.
 :P ;)
TDi90
~The DFYTR Moderation Team~

Offline markyb

Attack Member
« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2008, 22:05:59 »
wont the prop need some attention to fit to a 110 salisbury.

we are currently doing brake conversion, but not the expensive way.  muddy steve will post some details i suspect soon.

im having the same issue with my brakes, i find one side the adjusters go opposite to the other, maybe just mine , but i do have a constant battle with them.
Cheers Markyb
Defender 110
Discovery

Offline BPM

Attack Member
« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2008, 21:41:56 »
it gets stranger, it seems to have settled down now so that most of the time the brake pedal is fine but if I drive down a very bumpy road near me the brake pedal has some excess travel when i get to the other end???

Offline markyb

Attack Member
« Reply #8 on: January 21, 2008, 08:38:52 »
i changed all my brake fluid as it was brown a horrible, but i would suspect the rear cylinder nipple to shear off as mine did. but it helped things with fresh oil in.

i adjusted mine the other day and it appeared that drive side rear adjuster was down front up and rear passenger adjuster was up and front down and i now have a nice pedal again.

is your level ok?
Cheers Markyb
Defender 110
Discovery

Offline L90OOK

Attack Member
    • Somerset
« Reply #9 on: January 21, 2008, 11:26:07 »
it gets stranger, it seems to have settled down now so that most of the time the brake pedal is fine but if I drive down a very bumpy road near me the brake pedal has some excess travel when i get to the other end???
Sounds like the wheel bearings need tightening up.
Also adjust rear pads up.
Did everyone see that?  Because I will NOT be doing it again!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal