AuthorTopic: upgrading my 90  (Read 8423 times)

Offline j.stobart

• Attack: 100
    Defense: 100
    Attack Member
  • Referrals: 0
upgrading my 90
« on: January 12, 2008, 23:24:13 »
Well after 2 bottles of wine and several cans of beer, I've decided to bite the bullet and buy the upgrades for my 90 that I have been wanting for ages, and the decision came after my exploits at Tong on the 30th of december. List is as follows, all parts to be fitted next weekend:

set of 265 75 16 insa turbo special tracs
Uprated cv joints
Full 2 inch lift kit pro comp shocks
Dislocations front and rear
extended brake lines
poly bush kit
QT Castor corrected Radius Arms
Dan Bars
Body Sliders
Steering Guard
Tank Guard
Diff Guards
Rock Sliders (already got these on)

Running out of stuff to buy now, except a winch, (had one but not good) anyone any other suggestions?
EXCESSIVE USE OF FOSSIL FUELS,
BEATS RIDING ABOUT ON BLOODY MULES!!
(AND DONKEYS DON'T PERFORM IN MUD EITHER)

Offline Steven

Attack Member
Re: upgrading my 90
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2008, 23:40:34 »
anyone any other suggestions?

Performance upgrades... ?  :undecided:

Offline j.stobart

Attack Member
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2008, 23:44:41 »
forgot about the SS centre replacement pipe, she a tweaked up 200tdi anyway

Offline L90OOK

Attack Member
    • Somerset
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2008, 09:08:25 »
First choice would be...
extended breathers 
Southdown snorkel
Proper recover points
Roll cage
Spare Half Shafts & THIS

Enjoy  :afro:
Did everyone see that?  Because I will NOT be doing it again!

Offline j.stobart

Attack Member
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2008, 09:34:37 »
First choice would be...
extended breathers 
Southdown snorkel
Proper recover points
Roll cage
Spare Half Shafts & THIS

Enjoy  :afro:

I've got a set of Jate rings coming too, I have a wing top entry snorkel but still to fit it, breather kit not thought about, but will be coming soon, roll cage, simply can't afford lol.

Offline BK

Attack Member
« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2008, 16:34:33 »
where did you get the wing top snorkel from ? :D
1998 Jeep Cherokee,3" rough country lift,31"Muds,front disconnects,and a custom snorkle..........just lovin it!!!

Offline drmike

Attack Member
« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2008, 19:27:41 »
What on earth do you do with your 90 that needs all these modifications? A snorkel I can sort of understand although personally I'd rather not get a wet bum!
Mike

Offline j.stobart

Attack Member
« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2008, 19:31:52 »
snorkel from rebel 4x4,

I like to take my truck where it normally shouldn't go, and as soon as I get stuck I have to modify it in such a way that next time i visit I dont get stuck!!!

Offline BK

Attack Member
« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2008, 21:02:25 »
Is it the one that goes into the dummy air intake on top of the drivers side wing or is it the one where you have to cut a hole in the wing?????????
1998 Jeep Cherokee,3" rough country lift,31"Muds,front disconnects,and a custom snorkle..........just lovin it!!!

Offline Hangover

Attack Member
« Reply #9 on: January 13, 2008, 21:13:02 »
Forget all of that mate,you need a good winch,even with all that tackle your still going to get stuck.

Offline Tommo

Attack Member
« Reply #10 on: January 13, 2008, 21:26:03 »
snorkel from rebel 4x4,

I like to take my truck where it normally shouldn't go, and as soon as I get stuck I have to modify it in such a way that next time i visit I dont get stuck!!!

Kinetic rope as well ;)

Even with all your mods i think you would still be getting stuck where you were last time! about an hour before you there was a seriously kitted up 90 that had to winch round that corner.

Super tall tyres are what will get you through there. some 35.10.50x16 simexes would probs do the trick!

In fact im running 2" lift, dislocation cones and grizzley claws and there was no way i was going through that! lol.
Land Rover Tourettes Crew

www.sniff-my-diff.com

Offline j.stobart

Attack Member
« Reply #11 on: January 13, 2008, 21:33:46 »
Is it the one that goes into the dummy air intake on top of the drivers side wing or is it the one where you have to cut a hole in the wing?????????

hole in wing

Offline j.stobart

Attack Member
« Reply #12 on: January 13, 2008, 21:36:55 »
snorkel from rebel 4x4,

Kinetic rope as well ;)

Even with all your mods i think you would still be getting stuck where you were last time! about an hour before you there was a seriously kitted up 90 that had to winch round that corner.

Super tall tyres are what will get you through there. some 35.10.50x16 simexes would probs do the trick!

In fact im running 2" lift, dislocation cones and grizzley claws and there was no way i was going through that! lol.

The kinetic is also on order  ;) If I can stretch to it in a couple of weeks I'm gonna have a new winch, what does anyone think of the britpart ones?

Offline L90OOK

Attack Member
    • Somerset
« Reply #13 on: January 13, 2008, 21:44:35 »
For the money i'd buy Warn Tabor
Did everyone see that?  Because I will NOT be doing it again!

Offline j.stobart

Attack Member
« Reply #14 on: January 13, 2008, 22:03:40 »
cheers for that,

Offline smo

Attack Member
« Reply #15 on: January 16, 2008, 17:15:02 »
Have you purchased that list already or are you going to?

Dont use pro comp shocks! (use roughcountry or OME)

Dont bother with caster corrected arms unless you find you need too after the lift has been fitted

If you polybush it use Superpro ploy bushes

What springs are you using?

'04 90 TD5 - Written off :(

200TDi 90 Hardtop

TD5 North Offroad D-Lander coming soon!!!!

Offline smo

Attack Member
« Reply #16 on: January 16, 2008, 17:33:59 »
i forgot to add, winchwise you cant beat a Superwinch EP9 or EPi9
'04 90 TD5 - Written off :(

200TDi 90 Hardtop

TD5 North Offroad D-Lander coming soon!!!!

Offline BK

Attack Member
« Reply #17 on: January 16, 2008, 20:54:42 »
Yeah dont get a carlos fandango (££££££) winch,get a cheaper one Britpart,Champion,come up(same as a warn but made in china),a few of my mates have winches but to be honest i dont think it warrants spending an arm and a leg cos you hardly use them.For my money spend the cash on an X-brake NOW they are awesome,check out X eng website they have some really good gear :D.......oh and dont bother with a normal rear diff guard,get one from QT services for the rear they are tons better,unless you are getting a 3" lift dont bother with the castor corrected arms either,just get the cranked rear trailing arms but put polybushes all round and if you are gonna hammer the s**T out of it dontbother with the procomp shocks they last about 10 minutes and blow oil all over or the top eye snaps off.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2008, 20:59:54 by BK »

Offline ea51 mud

Attack Member
« Reply #18 on: January 18, 2008, 17:31:38 »
mods sound great.

I have ome 2" lift- did not need radius correction arms- brilliant kit!

QT diff guards are a must

Light force spots- brilliant

front winch bumper- devon 4x4 with devon steering guard

front warn winch

rock sliders

rear tank guard- equip- brilliant finish

nato hitch

2 rear recovery loops- disco parts

d44 exhaust body ring

external/ internal roll cage- exact fabrications- amazing

stainless exhaust mod- moved to side exit of vehicle

ecu re map

allisport intercooler- the big boy

kenlowe fan

terra trip rally meter

qt steering wheel

midland CB

stickers etc

scorpion raised air intakes

stainless snorkel - bespoke - exact fabrication- pharmaceutical grade stainless steel (un polished)- very nice

hi lift jack- mounted on rear

rear wheel carrier

geniune lr side windows fitted (was a van)

2 forward facing rear seats- fold away- exmoore trim

bf mud tyres- 285x 85

ground anchor- extact fabrication

KNN air filter

webasto parking heater- Remote operating key thob + timmer setting

great sound system!

Offline ea51 mud

Attack Member
« Reply #19 on: January 18, 2008, 17:35:05 »
must update my picture as she has changed alot since then- mad seeing her with a patriot rack on now lol

Offline extreme90

• Regional Rep
    Attack Member
  • say no to orange extreme bits !!
« Reply #20 on: January 18, 2008, 21:07:16 »
Yeah dont get a carlos fandango (££££££) winch,get a cheaper one Britpart,Champion,come up(same as a warn but made in china),a few of my mates have winches but to be honest i dont think it warrants spending an arm and a leg cos you hardly use them.For my money spend the cash on an X-brake NOW they are awesome,check out X eng website they have some really good gear :D.......oh and dont bother with a normal rear diff guard,get one from QT services for the rear they are tons better,unless you are getting a 3" lift dont bother with the castor corrected arms either,just get the cranked rear trailing arms but put polybushes all round and if you are gonna hammer the s**T out of it dontbother with the procomp shocks they last about 10 minutes and blow oil all over or the top eye snaps off.

come-up are superwinches  ;)
and it does pay off to spend the money on a decent winch
1. when you want it to work....you wont get that horrable " click " which makes you look a idiot infront of everone
2. if it does work, it isnt going to stop half way getting your through the s*** you just got yourself into
3. it wont break like cheap stuff, so it lasts twice as long and cost less than buying a replacement winch when that packs up

as smo said, superwinch epi9, i used to sware by then until i went to 8274's, now i wouldnt have anything else  :twisted:
my ep went 12months without even being stripped, then when it eventually died, i stripped, cleaned motor, put back together and it's still going now somewhere on someones motor  :roll:
dan
p.s simex and lockers = you drive past other people whilst there winching out  :dance: :dance:
Dan Thomas,                  Matt Price
Team Relentless " No half measures "
Bobtailed Auto Td5 90 comp truck........... Got more tricks than a magician !!

http://www.Devon 4x4.co.uk >> for all your truck needs and more !!
http://www.Gigglepin4x4.net >> For when the going gets tuff, and one motor just isnt good enough !!!
http://www.gwynlewis4x4.co.uk >> the guy everyone forgets, but he doesnt forget your custom.

Offline BK

Attack Member
« Reply #21 on: January 18, 2008, 23:40:42 »
Like I said,it depends on what you want to do with the motor,if you want to do scorpion racing winch challenges well yes dig deep in your pockets and get a warn winch (££££££££,s)but if you just do the occasional pay and play site or go greenlaning it doesnt warrant spending loads on a winch to use it very occasionally and have it sat on the bumper gathering dust!!!...........I would rather spend my money on other things like ive said above in the previous post.Im not saying go and spend loadsa money on stuff but think carefully on what you want the 90 to do :D

Offline tonycougar

Attack Member
« Reply #22 on: January 18, 2008, 23:49:33 »
I too often think like that. Should I buy a winch and bumper (I will have the money soon) or should I mod it in a different way that makes it more capable and less likely to get stuck. (Lockers and better articulation) I don't get stuck that often anyhow cos I can see the areas that I won't get through and don't go there. Often I can get to places that others can't though, and so I end up being Mr recovery, but I have no winch.
If theres a harder way to do it I`ll find it!!

littlepow

« Reply #23 on: January 19, 2008, 10:14:52 »
I too often think like that. Should I buy a winch and bumper (I will have the money soon) or should I mod it in a different way that makes it more capable and less likely to get stuck. (Lockers and better articulation)

I would get the winch first, less likely to cause damage to your drive system. Lockers with extreme tyres will get you further along. But when you get stuck you'll need a winch to get yourself free, as few other people will be able to get to you to help.

Offline Muddy

Attack Member
« Reply #24 on: January 19, 2008, 12:30:37 »
Sorry but why do you want to bolt all that crap to your 90?

Why dont you take a look at some proper challenge vehicles, see what kit they run, see what kit of theirs has filtered down on  to the 'bolt on' market and fit that.

set of 265 75 16 insa turbo special tracs   good tyres probably the best to go for if you cant afford big tyres.
Uprated cv joints  what makes you say this? are you running AEU2522's? if not why not fit them for now
Full 2 inch lift kit pro comp shocks  whats the point fit some decent suspension like the gwyn lewis kit withe reverse cones or X springs
Dislocations front and rear see point above
extended brake lines get them from david at llama 4x4 whilst your getting the rest of your suspension ;)
poly bush kit genuine or sh1tpart?
QT Castor corrected Radius Arms no point perfect waste of £200
Dan Bars very nice but gas pipe is just as good.
Body Sliders know nowt about these
Steering Guard You already have dan bars??? why do you want a plough aswell?
Tank Guard good sooner rather than later
Diff Guards  be warned that slidy ones reduce ground clearence.
Get an x-brake aswell.

I Know i sound arsey or whatever but i see bolt on motors all the time running stuff that simply isnt needed, have you ever been to a trial where motors are built to do a purpose and not just to look good? The less weight you have the stronger everything is meaning you need less uprated bits and you sink asmuch.

When i go to a playday i get as far if not further than bolt on 90's ect and i have sleeved steering bars, worn 750's and slinky suspension on the back, I just dont see the point in dumping a cheque for x amount on 'extreme boltons' doorstep and adding 300kg of stuff when its not gonna make that much difference.

One last thing about kinetic ropes, if you have never used one dont use it unless someone proffesional actually shows you how to use it, only use if yours and the other persons tow points are 100% (check for spreaderplates) and dont [Edited] use one with a towball. You wont believe how much damage they can do.

Sorry if you think i'm trying to teach you to suck eggs i just hate to see people wasting their money.

Will.
if you you can make it i can break it.

Offline BK

Attack Member
« Reply #25 on: January 19, 2008, 16:48:47 »
 :clap: :clap: :clap: i totally agree,you dont have to have a carlos fandango 90 to have fun!!! and thats what its all about,havin loadsa fun.Dont get  lockers unless you want to start smashing driveshafts dont spend loadsa £££ on a winch unless you are Ed Cobley, just a few bits and bats and a really good toolkit (after all its a landy).......oh,and an X-brake so you can use the hand brake when you are on a hill,and these people that say that "its not adjusted right" is a load of cods wallop,I have to re-adjust mine every time I come back from laning!!!! and im sure others do as well :D

Offline TDi90

Attack Member
  • Rolly - Under Construction...
« Reply #26 on: January 19, 2008, 16:55:48 »
oh,and an X-brake so you can use the hand brake when you are on a hill,and these people that say that "its not adjusted right" is a load of cods wallop,I have to re-adjust mine every time I come back from laning!!!! and im sure others do as well :D

SPOT ON BK, got one too cracking bits of kit!
TDi90
~The DFYTR Moderation Team~

Offline tonycougar

Attack Member
« Reply #27 on: January 20, 2008, 00:08:19 »
I'm hearing lots of good talk about the Xbrake, and I'm geting a bit fed up of having to clean and re-lube my 90s transmision brake. Might have to buy a kit me thinks.
If theres a harder way to do it I`ll find it!!

Offline drmike

Attack Member
« Reply #28 on: January 22, 2008, 20:29:39 »
What is it with the hand brake? I haven't adjusted mine in ages and it holds fine. When I got the 90 I stripped it down and set it up right like LR tell you too. It holds me on any slope and it tends to be the wheels sliding that cause me to go backwards - I'm not talking [pussy cat] slopes here I'm talking getting stuck at a trial on 70 degree slopes that feel like a lot more while you wait for a rope to be put on. Now we all know what will happen on Sunday - the damn thing will let me down!

I'm with muddy: why put all this stuff on a very capable machine? I guess people think it looks good but I'm not convinced but then I suspect it's just wanting to do different things, I like trials and green lanes lots of people like play days where they are happy to get stuck and then haul themselves out. Whatever floats your boat I suppose. I sound arsey now!

Mike

Offline extreme90

• Regional Rep
    Attack Member
  • say no to orange extreme bits !!
« Reply #29 on: January 22, 2008, 22:01:47 »
Sorry but why do you want to bolt all that crap to your 90?

Why dont you take a look at some proper challenge vehicles, see what kit they run, see what kit of theirs has filtered down on  to the 'bolt on' market and fit that.

set of 265 75 16 insa turbo special tracs   good tyres probably the best to go for if you cant afford big tyres.
Uprated cv joints  what makes you say this? are you running AEU2522's? if not why not fit them for now
Full 2 inch lift kit pro comp shocks  whats the point fit some decent suspension like the gwyn lewis kit withe reverse cones or X springs
Dislocations front and rear see point above
extended brake lines get them from david at llama 4x4 whilst your getting the rest of your suspension ;)
poly bush kit genuine or sh1tpart?
QT Castor corrected Radius Arms no point perfect waste of £200
Dan Bars very nice but gas pipe is just as good.
Body Sliders know nowt about these
Steering Guard You already have dan bars??? why do you want a plough aswell?
Tank Guard good sooner rather than later
Diff Guards  be warned that slidy ones reduce ground clearence.
Get an x-brake aswell.

I Know i sound arsey or whatever but i see bolt on motors all the time running stuff that simply isnt needed, have you ever been to a trial where motors are built to do a purpose and not just to look good? The less weight you have the stronger everything is meaning you need less uprated bits and you sink asmuch.

When i go to a playday i get as far if not further than bolt on 90's ect and i have sleeved steering bars, worn 750's and slinky suspension on the back, I just dont see the point in dumping a cheque for x amount on 'extreme boltons' doorstep and adding 300kg of stuff when its not gonna make that much difference.

One last thing about kinetic ropes, if you have never used one dont use it unless someone proffesional actually shows you how to use it, only use if yours and the other persons tow points are 100% (check for spreaderplates) and dont [Edited] use one with a towball. You wont believe how much damage they can do.

Sorry if you think i'm trying to teach you to suck eggs i just hate to see people wasting their money.

Will.

oooooo willy
you getting stressed because your tightness is biting you  :-k
and your 90 is in bits  :doh:
alot of my stuff is all made by myself
so
am i classed as a bolt on person ?
al least mine gets used  :roll:
oh btw...steam pipe bends real easy, been there and done that
got soild steel arms now, and i still bend them  :roll:

here will have your dummy back  :lol: :lol:
Dan Thomas,                  Matt Price
Team Relentless " No half measures "
Bobtailed Auto Td5 90 comp truck........... Got more tricks than a magician !!

http://www.Devon 4x4.co.uk >> for all your truck needs and more !!
http://www.Gigglepin4x4.net >> For when the going gets tuff, and one motor just isnt good enough !!!
http://www.gwynlewis4x4.co.uk >> the guy everyone forgets, but he doesnt forget your custom.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal