AuthorTopic: How far would you go in modding your disco?"  (Read 3493 times)

mentalmoshio sophs V8i

How far would you go in modding your disco?"
« on: January 09, 2008, 10:47:48 »
if land rover spent 4 years reasearching it why has most of them be modded in some way? either road cars or used off road
« Last Edit: January 11, 2008, 15:09:54 by mentalmoshio sophs V8i »

Offline CNorman

• Attack: 100
    Defense: 100
    Attack Member
  • Referrals: 0
Re: standard vs modded disco
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2008, 12:33:33 »
I think that there is an element of the fact that land rover did design them to be used as both comfortable, well handling road cars and as an off roader. I thknk there is no doubt that raising a vehicle will give better clearance, roll angles and others stuff.

HOWERVER, having done a lot of offroading i know alot of people buy a landy, lift it, oversized tyres and fit a highlift jack hanging from the rear wheel. They then convince themselves this is needed. 80% of the time it is not. The standard vehicle on AT's will do really well.

Guardian.

« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2008, 13:09:42 »
who in there right minds would drive around in the sort of trucks we all drive!
you wouldnt take aunt mable to church on sunday in my 110 she'd need a fire engine hydraulic platform to get in and out, and this is very costly and inconveniant.
plus 99% of landrovers sold never leave the tarmac, until theyare older cheaper 4x4 for us to destroy.

Offline discowoman

Attack Member
  • my own worst enemy!!
    • Gornal West Midlands
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2008, 17:48:43 »
why dont Vauxhall or Nissan produce a model that looks like its just ram raided Halfords?
Every car manufacturer has to produce a model that is adequate at doing most things and above all safe on the roads...A standard Discovery would go places that would frighten most 4x4's, I know as i have taken a Bog standard V8 3 door Disco into Wales and kept up and gone where 3 off road prepped series and 90's went, also did it in more comfort and took my kids as well - and also managed to cook a meal and make a cuppa in the back too.
Idf you get the chance go on the Land Rover Experience tour - all done in bog standard L/R kit....
Also ask about the contest L/R did when they released the Disco  :D
(involved inviting Other 4x4 manufacturers to bring along a Standard 4x4 and use their test track and course - Most declined the offer and Toyota got turned away because they brought a lifted snorkeled and chunk tyre equipped Land Cruiser)
If you dont like Discoveries - why do you own 1???

mentalmoshio sophs V8i

« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2008, 18:34:45 »
when i first saw the disco i wasnt to keen on it . it was only when a saw the a camel one it changed my mind. the pose  and stance changes so much when modded.

Offline treeman

Attack Member
« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2008, 18:47:01 »
iv never seen a camel disco with a big bore exhaust on it  :?
disco 300tdi (berry) snorkle, lightbar, steering guard, winch & winch bumper unfortunatly for sale

mentalmoshio sophs V8i

« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2008, 18:51:37 »
that idea must have come from the castrol race one , well that and thrashers one

mentalmoshio sophs V8i

« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2008, 18:55:52 »
it beat me for a while why anyone would want a straight through middle pipe on a tdi . guess it just the sound u wanna hear. besides jakes old exhuast i rekon would be louder than mine . remember that only had one tiny cherrybomb on it and that was it.

Offline POTASH

Attack Member
    • cheshire
« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2008, 21:39:07 »
why would you want it to be loud :-.
discovery200tdi homemade snorkel
                        homemade steering guard
                  homemade tank guard 
                  homemade light bar

Offline Disco Matt

Attack Member
« Reply #9 on: January 09, 2008, 21:51:18 »
I quite like mine - no centre box, but it's not obnoxiously loud. I get a lovely fruity growl when I give it some beans before the turbo spools up. :cool:
1996 Discovery 300TDI. She's got it where it counts...

Offline Gav_T

Attack Member
« Reply #10 on: January 09, 2008, 21:58:07 »
I have a v8 with straight through stainless system off a 300tdi with a side exit and it sounds nice and no louder than the civic type r or scooby that is on my street ( the ctr is owned by a 20 y/o lass and she is hot  :evil: :evil: )

Gav.

mentalmoshio sophs V8i

« Reply #11 on: January 09, 2008, 22:04:16 »
think exhuast noise mot pass is about 112 decibels but being honest 9o is enough for anyone  :police:

mentalmoshio sophs V8i

« Reply #12 on: January 10, 2008, 12:20:44 »
when uve got no tow bar and a tank guard fitted how come no one has a exhuast guard fitted when there used on the camel 110s. cause surely that would be the next impact zone that and the rear quater

Offline Range Rover Blues

Attack Member
    • South Yorkshire
« Reply #13 on: January 10, 2008, 14:58:13 »
4 years? and the rest.

Thing is, and we say it many times, design is a compramise.  When LR make the Disco new it has to fulfill many rolls and whilst a capable car most users don't do what we do with them.

So when they get a bit older and cheaper so that we can afford to take them and break them, we change the goalposts to suite our own tastes and intended use.

The compramise changes.

Out goes fuel economy and quite, high-speed cruising
In comes Knobbly Bobbly tyres

Out goes handling, ride and NVH
In comes a 3" lift, twin shock mounts and all the rest of it

Out goes smooth unasuming appearence
in comes 6 spotlights, a rood rack, bear paw prints, a CB ariel and a Hi-Lift on the back bumper

Out goes family of 2.4 children, Labrador and caravan
in comes instant idiot, just add MUD

But then the very ethosof the original Series 1 was to be able to modyfy the thing to suite your own requirements with a bewildering array of bolt-on attachments to turn the thing into a farm machine.  So nothing really changes ;)
Blue,  1988  Range Rover 3.5 EFi with plenty of toys bolted on
Chuggaboom, 1995 Range Rover Classic
1995 Range Rover Classic Vogue LSE with 5 big sticks of Blackpool rock under the bonnet.

Offline hairyasswelder

Attack Member
  • It's gonna cost ya
« Reply #14 on: January 10, 2008, 16:26:38 »
if land rover spent 4 years reasearching it why has most of them be modded in some way? either road cars or used off road

The chassis and most of the running gear were well proven (15 years or so) on the Range Rover then for 5 years or so on the 90 so 4 years is a bit .....

IMHO it is horses for courses, ie. The whole Land Rover range can be modified to suit your PERSONAL TASTE so the question/ poll is of no importance especially as it will be a bias opinion as it is MUD CLUB not Horsey folk or country toff club  :lol: :lol: :lol:
« Last Edit: January 10, 2008, 16:29:42 by hairyasswelder »
'88 RR 3.5 efi, an on going project :o) evolving daily/slowly

Offline Disco Matt

Attack Member
« Reply #15 on: January 10, 2008, 17:43:32 »
I think the best bit about the Disco is that you can use it off road and as a comfy daily driver - it will tolerate both. I have no intention to go down the "2in lift, big tyres, winch" route as it'd damage the on-road handling (plus I suspect it becomes more tempting to take it into situations where you will break something!). That's why I have A/Ts and standard height suspension. Apart from grounding the towbar a few times (must start saving for a detachable one) this hasn't posed me any problems.

I will say that the seriously modded ones are very impressive - just I couldn't justify doing that. Mine will still fit into multi-storey car parks on my infrequent visits to places that have them. I also worry about the effect huge tyres would have on the gearing - it must hurt your accelleration surely? I rather like being able to startle the local Novaboys... :twisted:
1996 Discovery 300TDI. She's got it where it counts...

mentalmoshio sophs V8i

« Reply #16 on: January 10, 2008, 17:53:23 »
going back 8 yrs i cant remember any thing on any taller than 32s  :-k thats uk ones

Offline muddyjames

Attack Member
« Reply #17 on: January 10, 2008, 17:58:31 »
I think the best bit about the Disco is that you can use it off road and as a comfy daily driver - it will tolerate both. I have no intention to go down the "2in lift, big tyres, winch" route as it'd damage the on-road handling (plus I suspect it becomes more tempting to take it into situations where you will break something!). That's why I have A/Ts and standard height suspension. Apart from grounding the towbar a few times (must start saving for a detachable one) this hasn't posed me any problems.

I will say that the seriously modded ones are very impressive - just I couldn't justify doing that. Mine will still fit into multi-storey car parks on my infrequent visits to places that have them. I also worry about the effect huge tyres would have on the gearing - it must hurt your accelleration surely? I rather like being able to startle the local Novaboys... :twisted:

Well said that man! I too am in no way intending to go down the lifting cutting arches route. I like mine the way it is, with subtle things on it like the tree sliders and snorkel. It makes it look like I do off road (which is true) but doesnt say I do extreme stuff and just like some good honest fun (also true) When I put the rr alloys on with grizzly claws then it changes the look of the disco again to one I do actually like the look of. the grizzlies help me on pay and break sites but I cant afford the break part so I am careful.

Another reason for me not going down the lift option is that I find the disco rolls enough as it is on stiffer suspension etc as it is now, so why raise the centre of gravity and make it worse? I do alot of towing of large caravans and trailers so the last thing I want is an unstable disco when towing. I would be asking for trouble then!
Rover 620i 223,000 miles on the clock :)
1995 300tdi auto ES Disco. Big Green Giant

Most expensive item for a Disco is????? a round piece of paper stuck on the windscreen!

Offline boss

Attack Member
  • "steerings a little loose!"
« Reply #18 on: January 10, 2008, 19:56:36 »
think exhuast noise mot pass is about 112 decibels but being honest 9o is enough for anyone  :police:
mine is a big cat replacement pipe  modded to fit a td5 alive centre box. sounds really good but dont think its that loud.... :?

"the young disco chopping maniac" -disco_stu!
www.artoffroad.com

bossFAB - stickers avalable

Offline Mr Alford

Attack Member
« Reply #19 on: January 10, 2008, 20:59:21 »
another useless post form the retarded mosher, a land rover is best when it is built to that persons taste, if they want to kit it up tand they like it thats their descision if they dont then again theyre descision
James@plymouthoffroad.co.uk     The biggest club in the south west! As featured in Total Offroad this month!

mentalmoshio sophs V8i

« Reply #20 on: January 10, 2008, 21:01:23 »
147 decibel that will be mark then in his corsa then .  now wheres grinall 700 bhp r34 .. oh  :hurryup: now wheres the disco ah relax
« Last Edit: January 10, 2008, 21:03:47 by mentalmoshio sophs V8i »

Offline POTASH

Attack Member
    • cheshire
« Reply #21 on: January 10, 2008, 21:02:48 »
another useless post form the retarded mosher, a land rover is best when it is built to that persons taste, if they want to kit it up tand they like it thats their descision if they dont then again theyre descision

:clap: :clap:
discovery200tdi homemade snorkel
                        homemade steering guard
                  homemade tank guard 
                  homemade light bar

Offline Mr Alford

Attack Member
« Reply #22 on: January 10, 2008, 21:04:31 »
147 decibel that will be mark then in his corsa then .  now wheres grinall 700 bhp r34 .. oh  :hurryup: now wherres the disco ah relax

oh look more dribble ive got a little comparison of ur avatar photo now

mosher boy

or the exorcist
James@plymouthoffroad.co.uk     The biggest club in the south west! As featured in Total Offroad this month!

Offline L90OOK

Attack Member
    • Somerset
« Reply #23 on: January 10, 2008, 21:04:43 »

:clap: :clap:
:whothedaddy: :lol:
Did everyone see that?  Because I will NOT be doing it again!

mentalmoshio sophs V8i

« Reply #24 on: January 10, 2008, 21:11:13 »
147 decibel that will be mark then in his corsa then .  now wheres grinall 700 bhp r34 .. oh  :hurryup: now wherres the disco ah relax

oh look more dribble ive got a little comparison of ur avatar photo now

mosher boy

or the exorcist

hahaha go on then give us ur best look likes

mentalmoshio sophs V8i

« Reply #25 on: January 10, 2008, 21:15:20 »
try the crow, mm, vapiro the list goes on on

Offline CHIPFAT

Attack Member
« Reply #26 on: January 10, 2008, 21:45:44 »
Hi there, i used to run my old disco standard, Except for the edition of BFG 7.50s (very minor arch mods) and found that i could go into some scary situations  :shocked: :shocked: (but i still would not turn down a fully moded one :lol: )

2x 200tdi Disco's ....V8 Rangie.(Breaking) ....Landie 110 Pickup.(rusted chassis, open to offers)
Scrap Metal, Cars And Light Vans Collected

Offline Ja1983

Attack Member
  • This week I have mostly been fixing....
« Reply #27 on: January 10, 2008, 21:55:06 »
Chaps, handbags away please!! :scold:  :roll:

.this is mud-club, not fight-club!

maybe re-titling this thread to "How far would you go in modding your disco?" or something similar would make an interesting discussion....?

as for me, i bought mine half done, but given the choice, i`d possibly take a standard defender on chunky AT`s (camacs etc) over lifting a disco, for the reasons mentioned above, although the disco is far more spacious and comfy, even if +2 inch and -2  anti roll bars leave road holding a tad sloppy.... but you get used to it!

my ideal would be, a v8 disco as tow car, AT`s, extra lights, "the daily driver", and a 200tdi defender, 110 with a king cab (truck cab with about 12" extra behind the seats) winches, tyres, armour, the lot!

...unfortunatley SWMBO and bank balance dont quite agree, so i`ve got a compramise..... but it does well for what i ask of it.

It has been said that, given enough time, a million monkeys bashing at a million typewriters would eventually produce the complete works of Shakespeare. Thanks to the Saxo forums, we now know this to be wrong

No oil leek = No oil left!

Offline V8MoneyPit

Attack Member
« Reply #28 on: January 10, 2008, 23:26:50 »
This is not a 'useless post'. However, it might be more appropriate in the bar given it is a generic question rather than one that specifically applies to one model. Don't you think?
Rgds
Steve

"Reality is wrong. Dreams are for real."

Land Rover build:
www.daisythediesel.com

Photos (my other passion and weakness):
http://www.flickr.com/photos/v8moneypit/

mentalmoshio sophs V8i

Re: How far would you go in modding your disco?"
« Reply #29 on: January 11, 2008, 15:11:23 »
request done  :angel:

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal