AuthorTopic: Heater Matrix - defender 90  (Read 5722 times)

Offline Mrchris

• Attack: 100
    Defense: 100
    Attack Member
  • Referrals: 0
Heater Matrix - defender 90
« on: January 07, 2008, 14:56:42 »
Can anyone recomend an upgrade for the heater matrix in my 90?
Its usesless and i was wonderign if anyone had fitted and upgrade or modern matrix etc from another car?

Offline ragerover

Attack Member
Re: Heater Matrix - defender 90
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2008, 16:55:48 »
allisport do an upgraded version  , but i found with the plastic ducted add ons from the likes of paddock it makes a great difference  forces more air through
mines a 90 van and i insulated it with rock wool and boarded it out with ply cost (sides bottom and tubs) cost about £60 ive done both a 200tdi and a td5 best money i ever spent i can even hear the radio with M/T`s on much warmer with the ducts ive even had to turn the heater off :shocked:

if you do decide to change the matrix do a search on here and dont follow the manual im sure i read a quicker way by drilling out the rivets in the box to fit it
growing old is compulsory --- growing up is optional

Offline richo

Attack Member
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2008, 19:32:26 »
I think britpart do a heavy duty heater matrix for the defender.
Jesus was a carpenter but god was a plasterer.

Offline Litch

Attack Member
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2008, 21:16:47 »
Do a search on this one as it comes up all the time on this and other forums.

Before you go about fitting replacement and/or upgraded parts are you sure your heater is working properly? If your engine is getting up to correct operating temperature then you should be getting the same temperature through the vents.

Cable adjustment is most important and if the flaps are not set-up correctly you will never get it to work effectively. Likewise the seals need to be in good condition and the matrix & intake clear. Spend a few minutes ensuring everything is working as it should before deciding to modify what can be quite an effective set-up when working properly.
I have a 300TDi soft-top with standard heater, scoop intake, fume curtain and NO rad muff (awful things). When the engine is at normal operating temperature I find the cab is very comfortable in even the coldest weather conditions.
ONE LIFE, GET IT!

Offline age

Attack Member
« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2008, 09:53:31 »
Just spotted this one.....

Can you tell me how to get to the flaps etc?  There is obviously a prob with my Defender 110 as the 'split' lever for screen/floor distribution jams at 50/50 and then actually pulls the cable through the lever clamp if you force it! Very occasionally I can nurse it down to 'floor only' and I'm sure I can hear the flap snagging on something.  Never got round to fixing it - its been like it since new! (2000)

Any hints appreciated.  Age
3 Defenders on and I'd still buy another.....

Offline Landy Andy

Attack Member
« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2008, 10:14:52 »
Don't know age of yours, but mine is 04reg and standard heater is fab, even the wife tells me to stop the heat! But you get very clear thud wen you push lever to hot so i do know flaps are well set up.
You can get  it on some that have done lots of offroading that the matrix becomes blocked with mud and debris? Just a thought

Andy
Andy

Defender Td5 X-Tech

Offline Litch

Attack Member
« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2008, 20:37:28 »
The cable-outer moving with the inner is very common and is exactly what causes the flaps to go out of adjustment and make the heating inefficient.
Lubricate the inner and make sure the outer is securly clamped, that should make it work correctly. If you get someone to operate the levers and you get your head down to the dashboard you will be able to hear when a flap is fully closed (closes with a nice thump!), adjust the cable until all is well and you should be there. You have the dashboard vents and also the air inlet flap behind the heater itself, the latter is the most important because if you are not shutting off the cold-air then the cab will never get hot no-matter how hot the heater-matrix is.
ONE LIFE, GET IT!

Offline Mrchris

Attack Member
« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2008, 11:45:49 »
Thanks all i have a play with what i got and see how it goes.......used to be ok untill i went waiding in some very muddy tank tracks!!

Probably just blocked up or dried out the cables!!

Cheers

Offline muck_truck

Attack Member
« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2008, 07:51:36 »
Your heater matrix may just be passed its best if its a older one.  My heater wouldnt get warm so i took the matrix out (origonal LR alloy one i thimk?) filled it with hot water and it would only be hot in a couple of patches so was obviously blocked up.  Tried to unblock it but was more hassle than its worth.

Replaced it with a new one (replacement one was copper) and it now belts out heat.  :D
Dan.

Defender 90 200Tdi
www.muckytruckin.co.uk

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal