AuthorTopic: Engine Removal  (Read 877 times)

Offline Yoshi

• Attack: 100
    Defense: 100
    Attack Member
  • Referrals: 0
Engine Removal
« on: January 06, 2008, 15:55:57 »
A friend and i are going to be removing a 200tdi engine from a 1989 disco.  Its going to go into a 2a ambulance.  The question we have is how do we get to the top bolts on the bellhousing, as my engine is going to be going into the remaining shell so we are gonna leave the gearbox in place (and replace the clutch while the engine is out!!!).

Cheers

Dan

1995 Discovery XS 300TDi 4" lift and ready to go!

There is no devil, theres only god when he's drunk - Tom Waits.

Offline Disco-Ron

Attack Member
Re: Engine Removal
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2008, 17:27:15 »
Slightly confused.... you don;t need to get to the bolts if you're leaving the gearbox in place surely.... however, if you're gonna remove the engine, and then the gearbox, which is how i would do it if you're gonna split them anyway, is to lift the engine slightly, remove the engine mounts off the block, then lower the engine till you can reach the bolts, then support the gearbox and pull the engine out.....
gone from 200tdi.... to 300tdi... still with loads done to it, in fact, even more than the last truck...LOL!!!

Offline landroverkeith

Attack Member
  • Wilby
    • wilby, northants
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2008, 18:33:41 »
 :lol: i definatly remember saying to you the day u bought patch how long it would be b4 ya killed him.... and lol the answer seems to be less then a year lol bet theres hundreds of landys out there shaking in their boots dan just in case u buy em 

lol  :dance: cya in msn m8
2004 D2 TD5 es Premium - R99 MUD
1965 Series 2a 88" V8 "rag top"          
2000 TD5 Es - W99 MUD
Sankey Trailer

Offline meader

Attack Member
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2008, 19:00:47 »
if you jack the front of the engine up you will be able to get your hand up there and get on to the top 3 nuts
i only go in as far as my nuts

Offline Yoshi

Attack Member
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2008, 01:08:11 »
Slightly confused.... you don;t need to get to the bolts if you're leaving the gearbox in place surely.... however, if you're gonna remove the engine, and then the gearbox, which is how i would do it if you're gonna split them anyway, is to lift the engine slightly, remove the engine mounts off the block, then lower the engine till you can reach the bolts, then support the gearbox and pull the engine out.....

Well you do have to get to the bolts/nuts if your leaving the gearbox in place otherwise how are you going to detach the gearbox from the engine?????

Offline Yoshi

Attack Member
« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2008, 01:08:57 »
:lol: i definatly remember saying to you the day u bought patch how long it would be b4 ya killed him.... and lol the answer seems to be less then a year lol bet theres hundreds of landys out there shaking in their boots dan just in case u buy em 

lol  :dance: cya in msn m8

LOL this is making my current one live on, its cheaper than getting all the welding done on patch cos this one has had all the welding done on it, apart from 2 places which are pretty simple to get to!

Offline Yoshi

Attack Member
« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2008, 01:09:34 »
if you jack the front of the engine up you will be able to get your hand up there and get on to the top 3 nuts

That sounds like i have been told before, i just wanted to check in case it was just sommat i had made up in me head!

Offline meader

Attack Member
« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2008, 16:56:45 »
no i found that out wen i had to fit a new clutch ah and you may lose alot of skin from your nuckels cus its still a tight fit to get your hand up there and that sound profing is like sand paper
i only go in as far as my nuts

Offline Disco-Ron

Attack Member
« Reply #8 on: January 07, 2008, 18:24:22 »
I obviously read your original post wrong, you said you were gonna leave the gearbox in place...!!!

Still do what i said, lift the engine on the crane, then remove the engine mounts off the block, and lower the whole thing til you can get to the bolts...
Sorry, but i fail to see how raising the engine will enable you to get tho the bolts that are hard enough to get to already.... :huh:

Well you do have to get to the bolts/nuts if your leaving the gearbox in place otherwise how are you going to detach the gearbox from the engine?????
gone from 200tdi.... to 300tdi... still with loads done to it, in fact, even more than the last truck...LOL!!!

Offline Yoshi

Attack Member
« Reply #9 on: January 07, 2008, 18:47:06 »
I think its more tilting the engine as opposed to lifting it to get to the top bolts.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal