AuthorTopic: Yea olde Parrafin Test.  (Read 3212 times)

Offline Fluffle-Valve

• Attack: 100
    Defense: 100
    Attack Member
  • Referrals: 0
Yea olde Parrafin Test.
« on: January 05, 2008, 21:03:02 »
After I had taken off the cylinder head on my series 3, a friend suggested doing a paraffin test on the bores and cylinders. This is something that I had never done before and had never even heard of it. He said to get all the pistons at the same level height in the bores and then fill each bore with paraffin. Then leave it and see if any paraffin seeps past the piston rings. Over night all the paraffin in all the bores disappeared.

Thinking the worst, I sat back and thought hard about it and thought that it would seep through eventually. I'm thinking that there is never an airtight seal on the rings? (Am I right? Please help)...

Am I right in thinking that if you pour any liquid down the bores, it would go past the rings, eventually?

I have taken the pistons out and found that this engine has had a +020 thou re-bore at sometime. There is no honing marks left on the bores and the big ends also look to be in good order and have had a +010 thou re-grind as well.

What I should have done was a compression test before I took it all apart. This would have told me if there was any bad leakage if there was some. However, My plan was to change the rings and big ends anyway while doing a cylinder head over-haul.

I would like to know if anyone has ever heard or even done a paraffin test?

Looking for answers...............Help.....?
Old and Knackered, But I’ll fix it in the End.
1972 Series 3 109 2.25 petrol called "Fluffle-Valve-Express.

Daily Drive - 2002 Rover 75, 2 Litre, 24 Valve, Quad cam.

Offline Devon-Rover

Attack Member
    • Tavistock
Re: Yea olde Parrafin Test.
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2008, 01:00:12 »
Errrr no. Not heard of a parrafin test.

Best bet is to do a comp test to see what the condition of the bores and the rings are. There is a measurement of the the width between the bores and the rings using a feeler guage but i can't remember it At this moment.
If the bores are shiny and glazed then maybe a Deglaze and a new set of rings would help restore any lost compression and oil consumption if there was any.
Rowan.

"Jemima" 2.25 Petrol SWB, ACR rear Silencer, 235/85 Macho's, MAP Capstan & HD Bumper, Tweeked suspension, CB, Light Bar.
"Baker" 2.6 Petrol LWB (former Tow Truck)
"Lizi" 4.2 V8i Discovery, Gone but not forgotten.
"Kate" 1985 Ninety 4.2 V8 Auto, Stainless exhaust, Ashcroft Tunnel, Mud console, Polmar Venus CB, HD Steering bars, Terrafirma Steering damper, D44 Winch Bumper, Superwinch EP9.5, Superwinch Wireless controls, QT Diff Guards. 'More toys to come'

Vorsprung Duch Ducktape. My website Searle Safari Info source.

Offline Bowie

Attack Member
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2008, 02:03:49 »
Is there a step at the top of the bores?

Now you have it apart, this is the only way you can really tell if they are worn......
1980 SIII Lightweight 2.25 Petrol - completely standard.
1991 Range Rover Vogue SE 3.9 V8 - now on LPG (sorted!), 2" lift, mud tyres, and more to come...

Offline hobbit

Attack Member
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2008, 05:45:22 »
To save stripping down an engine to test for compression wear on piston rings/bore is to do a standard compression test, then re do the test after squirting some engine oil into the bore through the spark plug hole with an oil can, if the reading is higher, you are loosing pressure through the rings
Kev

'91 stretch Discovery 200 Tdi
Hybrid for running round (got to go now)
Srs 3 Lightweight petrol (got to go)
Srs 3 Lightweight petrol, runabout

Not every problem can be solved with duct tape, and it's exactly for those situations we have WD 40

Offline fudge

Attack Member
  • Green Oval Recovery... Chl 30 Shout Help Im Stuck!
« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2008, 09:05:16 »
Parrafin Test / Brake & Clutch Cleaner Test / Water Test......

Be Sure To Drain The Sump And Change The Oil Filter, Also I Would Run It Up To Temp With Some Flushing Oil or Cheap Oil And Drain It Out And Change The Filter Again Now You've Done That......

Over Night On Your Vehicle I Would Be Happy..... Within 30 Mins / An Hour.... I'd Be Worried.... If The Fluid Dissappeared At The Same Rate It Would Arguably Be OK...

Was It Smoking Before.....?

Why Is The Head Off Anyway.....?

You Could Have Done A Compression Test, But That Wouldn't Rule Out The Head Gasket Being Faulty Or A Valve Issue....

And The Rings "Should" Be Tight Enough To Stop The Flow Within A Realistic Period, I Can't Help Thinking That You've Been Sold Half A Test Method....

Offline carbore

Attack Member
« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2008, 08:47:15 »
The parafin test also does not take into account that things expand on a running engine due to heat so tolerences will change. Id never heard of it before and to be honest im glad!
CORNISH SPRINT AND HILLCLIMB CHAMPION 2009

Lotus Elise (Tuned/lightened for sprint racing Championship winner 2009)
Freelander 1 TD4 Auto AKA the Big Black Bus (Brownchurch Roof Rack, Hatch Bag rear liner)
Ferguson T20 "Grey Fergie" TVO Tractor 1951

Offline bob86

Attack Member
« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2008, 19:01:32 »
You do it on valves to check the seal on the seats.
1955 86" 200tdi series one,

Offline BeJay

Attack Member
« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2008, 20:55:50 »
You do it on valves to check the seal on the seats.

.....Bob's right, I've never heard of doing it to check the bores, it's bound to leak out reasonably quickly.

......what you do is turn the head upside down on the workbench, put a block of wood etc under each end to make it sit level and then fill the combustion chambers with the parrafin. ideally it all stays there, (perfect seal on valve seats) the faster it leaks out then the worse the seal is.

nil illigitimus carborundum

Offline Range Rover Blues

Attack Member
    • South Yorkshire
« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2008, 04:22:47 »
I've heard of doing a leakdown test with compressed air (on a complete engine) that tell you where the leaks are, but you're going to get some otherwise the engine would be so tight it wouldn't turn over.

Remember also that Aluminium (pistons) expands at twice the rate of Iron and steel (block/bore) so when cold nothing fits.  The pistons will probably be ground oval because they expand differently on the 2 axis, because of the skirt and the gudgeon pin.

I'd fully expect the parafin to be gone overnight, if it stayed for an hour I'd be surprised.

A compression test is a time-honoured test for basic engine soundness and that's what I'd recomend.  A leak down test 9still saving for the tester) is a step beyond that.

Oh yeah, and then there's capiliary action.  I won't bore you with details but if you think how a fountain pen works, 2 surfaces close together will draw a liquid in between them and conduct it under gravity.
Blue,  1988  Range Rover 3.5 EFi with plenty of toys bolted on
Chuggaboom, 1995 Range Rover Classic
1995 Range Rover Classic Vogue LSE with 5 big sticks of Blackpool rock under the bonnet.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal