AuthorTopic: Can Anyone Recommend! Quick Release Steering Wheel Boss!  (Read 6342 times)

Offline crusader

• Attack: 100
    Defense: 100
    Attack Member
  • Referrals: 0
Can Anyone Recommend! Quick Release Steering Wheel Boss!
« on: January 05, 2008, 19:29:44 »
I am toying with the idea of a removable/quick release steering wheel
Can anyone recommend and or point me in the right direction please? :roll:
« Last Edit: January 06, 2008, 14:57:52 by cruisader »
Cheers The  Rev Nevil g Draper Licensed and Ordained Minister of the Force........

Edge

Re: Can Anyone Recommend!
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2008, 20:01:05 »

Offline crusader

Attack Member
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2008, 20:11:13 »
Thanks! Ive Bookmarked the page! with loads of others i have found googling :?
But Have you fitted this one or know anyone that has? :doh:
need to find one that won't break offroading! 8-[

I have found this one! Can anyone give me their opinion please?
http://www.ksport.co.uk/products.asp?f=quick-release
« Last Edit: January 05, 2008, 20:53:43 by cruisader »
Cheers The  Rev Nevil g Draper Licensed and Ordained Minister of the Force........

Offline stuvy

Attack Member
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2008, 01:31:49 »
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO don't do it!!

Having worked for a kit car race team we had a friend who used one in his bike engine kit car(road legal) on his way out of Snetterton one sunny day he was doing 110MPH still thinking he was on track! and unfortunately for him, and his passenger, the steering wheel came off! he went through a hedge backwards and snapped the chassis!!!

http://www.bikecars.co.uk/       post a topic on here and I'm sure you will be inundated with more no's then yes!!
Epsom green Discovery S1, 33" M/T on colour coded rims, 2" Lift Kit, Steering Gaurd with raised steering bars, Rock+Tree sliders, Modded front bumper, Checker plate.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
 www.DrewsSpeedShop.co.uk

Offline Tommo

Attack Member
« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2008, 09:26:54 »
weird. as somthing that many many race cars across the world use you would think it wouls be wel engineered. unless he hadnt put it on properly?
Land Rover Tourettes Crew

www.sniff-my-diff.com

Offline Tommo

Attack Member
« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2008, 09:27:43 »
TUV approved as well, thats pretty tough approval.
Land Rover Tourettes Crew

www.sniff-my-diff.com

Offline Mark_Solesbury

Attack Member
Re: Can Anyone Recommend! Quick Release Steering Wheel Boss!
« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2008, 15:25:01 »
Ive got one on mine...

I like it because its a good thief deterrent. It gets taken off every night.

It never been a problem to me, on or off road.

Mark

1996 300tdi 90
External/Internal Cage
Maxi Drive Locking Diffs
Snorkel
AliSport Intercooler

Northants4x4.com Admin - Northants4x4 Response Trustee

Offline crusader

Attack Member
« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2008, 16:57:54 »
Ive got one on mine...

I like it because its a good thief deterrent. It gets taken off every night.

It never been a problem to me, on or off road.

And This is the Reason i Started this Thread?   Security!

Mark Where did you get yours?

How Much should i Pay?

What Make is it?

What does your Insurance Say?

Offline Mark_Solesbury

Attack Member
« Reply #8 on: January 06, 2008, 18:40:43 »
It was on it when i got it, but it looks very similar to the £100 in the link above.

Insurance welcomed it to be honest, not that i think it made any difference to the policy... It was noted by them as a modification..

Ill take some better pics of it in the morning for you.
Mark

1996 300tdi 90
External/Internal Cage
Maxi Drive Locking Diffs
Snorkel
AliSport Intercooler

Northants4x4.com Admin - Northants4x4 Response Trustee

Offline Litch

Attack Member
« Reply #9 on: January 06, 2008, 19:56:48 »
Bought mine from Raid a couple of years ago, an excelent piece of kit and is a very visable deterrent. Cost now is £69.99. See their Ebay shop at http://stores.ebay.co.uk/RaidPerformance. I found them a good firm to deal with and they were only to happy to help if you ring or email them for advice, certainly a lot better than one or two aftermarket suppliers I could mention who sell the same item.

I use a Mountney '6-hole' pattern boss and a Raid 12-inch 3-spoke alloy, leather trimmed wheel. This is a very nice set-up and I really like it however be advised that the Snap-Off adapter puts the wheel closer to the driver and this may not be to everyones liking.
I know Tiltboy on this forum has also been using a Snap-Off adapter for some time as it was he who first put me onto them.

Tip:- Check how many splines you have before ordering, no point guessing how many your vehicle SHOULD have, best to see how many it actually DOES have.
ONE LIFE, GET IT!

Offline crusader

Attack Member
« Reply #10 on: January 15, 2008, 22:54:07 »
Bought mine from Raid a couple of years ago, an excelent piece of kit and is a very visable deterrent. Cost now is £69.99. See their Ebay shop at http://stores.ebay.co.uk/RaidPerformance. I found them a good firm to deal with and they were only to happy to help if you ring or email them for advice, certainly a lot better than one or two aftermarket suppliers I could mention who sell the same item.

I use a Mountney '6-hole' pattern boss and a Raid 12-inch 3-spoke alloy, leather trimmed wheel. This is a very nice set-up and I really like it however be advised that the Snap-Off adapter puts the wheel closer to the driver and this may not be to everyones liking.
I know Tiltboy on this forum has also been using a Snap-Off adapter for some time as it was he who first put me onto them.

Tip:- Check how many splines you have before ordering, no point guessing how many your vehicle SHOULD have, best to see how many it actually DOES have.

I called the Lady at RAID last week and Totally confused her when i asked her about Splines on the Snap-off Boss?
I was told that Earlier 90's (Ie Mine 89) should  have 36 splines and later models have 48 splines

Offline Litch

Attack Member
« Reply #11 on: January 19, 2008, 11:14:41 »
"Called the Lady at RAID last week and Totally confused her when i asked her about Splines on the Snap-off Boss?
I was told that Earlier 90's (Ie Mine 89) should  have 36 splines and later models have 48 splines."

Like I said in my earlier post, don't go on how many splines you SHOULD have but take the wheel off and count them as that way you KNOW you are correct. Removing the wheel takes about 2-minutes and if you have to make up a simple puller this can be done in 10-minutes.

First you fit a boss to the column, I used a Mountney '6-hole' one but there are other manufacturers who make the same part (the '6-hole' fitting is an aftermarket industry standard). Don't use a Mountney 'classic' boss as this only takes the Mountney 'classic' steering wheels (the cheaper ones you see advertised in many dealers).
Onto the boss you mount the 'Snap-Off' adapter. This comes in two parts and is the part that splits into two, the main one fits to the '6-hole' boss and the other fits to the aftermarket wheel. You can now see that by fitting all these parts together you are moving the wheel towards you and only you can tell if this will be ok, I get on well with it but I know some others do not.

I must admit that at the beginning I was quite confused as I couldn't understand the need for a separate boss & 'Snap-Off' adapter, the difference in the '6-hole' pattern and other aftermarket bosses etc but I found both the Mountey helpdesk & Raid very helpful. You can't order the boss from the Mountney helpdesk but they will ensure you have the correct part number (just confirm the number of splines first) to enable you to order it from any dealer.
I seem to recall that at the time Raid didn't sell the boss so I ordered this from Demon Tweaks and got the rest of the bits from Raid. DT were very little help and kept trying to sell me the wrong boss (which is why I keep saying you must count the splines yourself) but Mountney & me were correct and DT were wrong.
ONE LIFE, GET IT!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal