AuthorTopic: removing a 200tdi starter motor  (Read 5918 times)

Offline suggs

• Attack: 100
    Defense: 100
    Attack Member
  • Referrals: 0
removing a 200tdi starter motor
« on: January 05, 2008, 18:37:03 »
91 200tdi

mines playing up either very slow or not turning at all, had a quick look at removing it but looks like a right pain to get to as manifold is in the way and its very close to the bulkhead.

any tips

cheers
modded 90

V8 Disco 2 ES premium for the Mrs

Wolfie

Re: removing a 200tdi starter motor
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2008, 19:00:39 »
Take exhaust downpipe off, leave manifolds on.

I think very long extension bars on the socket made an appearance.

Tell the car how unhappy you are with it at regular intervals.  :roll:

At least those are the memories I have from when I did mine, but thankfully I haven't had to do it for quite a while.

Offline Tommo

Attack Member
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2008, 22:55:25 »
might be worth investing in a 17mm ratchet spanner if you dont already have one. i seem to remember mine being priceless for the bottom nut. The top 2 bolts one you can get fromt the top and the other from the bottom. dont forget to check your earth strap before hand. could be that.
Land Rover Tourettes Crew

www.sniff-my-diff.com

Offline suggs

Attack Member
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2008, 23:15:59 »
cheers lads

ill check the earth strap, were abouts is it, can it be got at easly..

modded 90

Offline zulublue

Attack Member
« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2008, 00:00:32 »
Hi Suggs,

Talk about timing I was going to post this question yesterday but never did, anyhow I fitted it today god it can be fun, here is what I had to do but there may be easier ways due to other mods I have in the way.

Disconnect battery, if you can use a ramp then do so, remove the front section on the exhaust and heat shield, take off power lead, remove the lower & the top left nut, now the fun began the top right nut was a nut & bolt with the nut been on the back side near the bulkhead, I could not get a spanner on the back so I had to remove the slave cylinder I then had to use a double length spanner to hold the back while someone from above the engine threaded a 17mm socket through on 3 extensions to crack it from the front.

I could not then get the starter motor out of the gap underneath or above, so I removed the near side engine mounting bolt and jacked the engine up I managed (just) to get it out. obviously just reverse the process to put back together.

I would say test everything before hand as when I had fitted it, it still did not work, I checked the battery terminals and I did find a loose connection between the first and second battery as there was a tiny spark on turn over, the engine is linked off the first battery so I don't think it was that, I then removed the relay and it started (strange) I put it back in and its been OK.

So I was gutted at doing all that for maybe no reason but upon checking the old SM I earthed it to a jump pack and crossed the solenoid and starter terminal it kicked out but did not spin, so I think the bearing had gone as the shaft moved from side to side a bit.

I hope this helps, as I say it may be easier on yours as mine is not the original engine and the exhaust has changed also.

I will PM you my mobile number if you need to call me.

Mark.

Offline suggs

Attack Member
« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2008, 08:59:23 »
cheers, looks like a mission, ive done them on 300tdi Disco's and it was easy.

ive done the same before as you, cleaned all connections and removed the solinoid and fuses replaced with new and it started for a few days, only to play up again. only fixed when a new starter was fitted.
strange how they make out you have fixed it only to stitch you up again lol :doh:
modded 90

Offline Tommo

Attack Member
« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2008, 09:25:06 »
if your solonoid trigger wire feels like its not as long as it should be (mine seened to be) then extend it. mine kept popping off the terminal. oh and find someone with very thin arms to put the electrical connections on.
Land Rover Tourettes Crew

www.sniff-my-diff.com

Offline zulublue

Attack Member
« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2008, 18:39:56 »
oh and find someone with very thin arms to put the electrical connections on.

LOL, 18.5 stone and very fast pie arm, that's why I found it difficult :doh:

Offline Dixie

Attack Member
« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2008, 17:54:34 »
if your solonoid trigger wire feels like its not as long as it should be (mine seened to be) then extend it. mine kept popping off the terminal. oh and find someone with very thin arms to put the electrical connections on.

Heh heh. That brings back memories of lying under the car outside supermarkets trying to stretch the darn thing back on. Either that or it was find a hill, push, run and jump in.
Those nuts are pretty fiddly to put back in but I managed with normal spanners and a short socket set (could have been longer).
Def 90 Pickup aka Swamp Donkey.
Wrangler of rats, and tamer of Wildebeest (at least on the barbie)

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal