AuthorTopic: 200 V8i Auto - Technical Advice Needed!  (Read 338 times)

Offline Landroverstormer

• Attack: 100
    Defense: 100
    Attack Member
  • Referrals: 0
200 V8i Auto - Technical Advice Needed!
« on: January 04, 2008, 21:11:15 »

After a fun day at Whaddon last week the transmission overheat lamp on the dash came on 10 miles down the road.  I stopped to let her cool down as I assumed the cooler had become clogged.  After a few trial switch-on's the light was still glowing, therefore I slowly drove th 5 miles or so home.

New Years Eve afternoon I spent a goo 3 hours jet-washing her making sure the cooler was as clean as a whistle....................

Imagine my disappointment when I found that the light was still on!!  In a nutshell, I've started her a few times now and the light is on each time AND thats when the engine is stone cold!!

Anyone got any ideas?  Strange that it came on during the drive back?  Have I dislodged a wire?

Another point of info that may help (and some of you that were at Whaddon may have seen me) but the pin that connects the transfer/diff lever fell out and it kept jumping out of low range.  As the pin was lost in the mud we fitted a bolt and a couple of nuts as a temporary measure.  It stayed in LOW all day with no problem at all after the quick fix, but on the way home it popped out of High a couple of times.  Obviously I need to replace the pin.

Any help would be very much appreciated.  :-k
Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE - 2010
Defender 90 300 TDi Soft-Top - 1996
Mini Cooper Convertible - 2009
Volkswagen 181 Trekker (Thing/Kubelwagon) 1972

Offline andygod

• Regional Rep
    Attack Member
  • Birmingham and surrounding areas regional Rep
Re: 200 V8i Auto - Technical Advice Needed!
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2008, 21:56:27 »
Don't worry too much this happened to me after driving in deep water. Check and clean the connectors to the temperature switch (in pipe work near the oil cooler) my light came on either at start up or soon after so I ruled out it being a temperature issue. If connections are ok and clean you may well need a new switch, I think they are approx £20.00. My light first lit up nearly a year ago and I still haven't got round to fitting a new switch. This isn't good practice I'm just telling you in order to alleviate some of your worry
Yo ho ho and a bottle of rum and jolly bad eggs are we

Offline Landroverstormer

Attack Member
Re: 200 V8i Auto - Technical Advice Needed!
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2008, 22:29:05 »

Andy, cheers for the advice!!

I think it'll just help me to see the fuel guage at night as most of the dash lights have gone!

I'll whip the grille off again and have a proper look.

Thanks again.  :clap:
Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE - 2010
Defender 90 300 TDi Soft-Top - 1996
Mini Cooper Convertible - 2009
Volkswagen 181 Trekker (Thing/Kubelwagon) 1972

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal