AuthorTopic: PO GO'ING FRONT WHEEL.  (Read 1310 times)

Offline barriesheene

• Attack: 100
    Defense: 100
    Attack Member
  • Referrals: 0
PO GO'ING FRONT WHEEL.
« on: January 04, 2008, 17:42:30 »
Please help !! happened once before and put it down to road surface but not this time. While driving down a duel carriageway today my offside front wheel started po go ing up and down like mad  :shock: :shock:It was as if that wheel was on one of the suspension testing machines you see on telly and hammering up and down in the wheel arch!!!!! I thought it would calm down but didn't stop until i had virtually come to a standstill.I was accelerating and traveling at speed when it happened and i don't want that to happen again especially on the motorway or something. Any idea's ??? it reminded me of the wheel of a formula one car bouncing when they lock the brakes. Kinda oil burning smell to afterwards but no sign of leaks ?
CBR900RR FIREBLADE ( urban tiger GGRRRRRR !!!!!) SOLD needed money to fix the rangie
2.5 PAJERO LWB EXCEED
AVONDALE MAYFLY SOLD needed money to fix the rangie
RANGEROVER 3.9 V8 STRAIGHT THROUGH EXHAUST AND VERY MUDDY :) makes me laugh everytime i rev it

Offline gingernutsv8

Attack Member
Re: PO GO'ING FRONT WHEEL.
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2008, 17:57:01 »
ohdear ohdear sounds like your shocker has gone or you have a bubble on the tyre as shockers are cheaper i would try them first
If it ain't broke hit it with a big hammer then it will be.

Offline barriesheene

Attack Member
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2008, 18:06:57 »
Tyres ok, I checked them  :D Shocks i don't mind cos I want to do 2" lift anyways and it's dragging it's arse like a dog with worm's  :lol: But i was worried about the front diff  :-k as i was accelerating quite hard i was worried the diff might have slipped splines or something  :shock: Please tell me that's unlikely cos booting it is all part of the fun  :twisted:
CBR900RR FIREBLADE ( urban tiger GGRRRRRR !!!!!) SOLD needed money to fix the rangie
2.5 PAJERO LWB EXCEED
RANGEROVER 3.9 V8 STRAIGHT THROUGH EXHAUST AND VERY MUDDY :) makes me laugh everytime i rev it

Offline dod51e

Attack Member
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2008, 18:15:51 »
It certainly sounds like your damper has gone, leaving the spring to just bounce up and down with no restriction!

Offline Range Rover Blues

Attack Member
    • South Yorkshire
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2008, 01:32:49 »
You've got to start with dampers, then, oddly I'm going to say tracking.  Been there, done that as they say pluss it's cheap to check it.

Did the steering wiggle whilst it was bouncing?
Blue,  1988  Range Rover 3.5 EFi with plenty of toys bolted on
Chuggaboom, 1995 Range Rover Classic
1995 Range Rover Classic Vogue LSE with 5 big sticks of Blackpool rock under the bonnet.

Offline barriesheene

Attack Member
« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2008, 14:53:50 »
You've got to start with dampers, then, oddly I'm going to say tracking.  Been there, done that as they say pluss it's cheap to check it.

Did the steering wiggle whilst it was bouncing?
Yep sure did  :evil:
2.5 PAJERO LWB EXCEED

Guardian.

« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2008, 15:33:49 »
ITS  shocks mate, and you cannot slip splines, they would shear and then you would have no drive.

Offline barriesheene

Attack Member
« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2008, 16:17:32 »
new set of shocks and spring's it is then  :roll: thanks guy's
2.5 PAJERO LWB EXCEED

Attack Member
    • South Yorkshire
« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2008, 16:41:57 »
Unless the srping is broken it won't make much difference, or are you looking at an excuse for a lift ;)

Mine suffeed from what's called steering kickback, it's not as obvious that the wheel is pounding the floor but that the steering wheel is, well, kicking back at you.  It would start when I hity a pothole and sometimes just kept doing it.  Stiffer bushes made it worse and in the end I fitted ProComps just to cover it up.  Tracking was the one thing that made it better.

1995 Range Rover Classic Vogue LSE with 5 big sticks of Blackpool rock under the bonnet.

Offline barriesheene

Attack Member
« Reply #9 on: January 05, 2008, 17:05:06 »
Unless the srping is broken it won't make much difference, or are you looking at an excuse for a lift ;)

Mine suffeed from what's called steering kickback, it's not as obvious that the wheel is pounding the floor but that the steering wheel is, well, kicking back at you.  It would start when I hity a pothole and sometimes just kept doing it.  Stiffer bushes made it worse and in the end I fitted ProComps just to cover it up.  Tracking was the one thing that made it better.

Next question is this ? procomp or britpart ? there is only £30 difference in Paddock's and I do go offroading. I want a 2" lift can people recommend a set up. I dont want to lose wheel articulation if I can help it. It would be easier on the wallet if I could do the rears one month and the fronts the following month. Would this wind up the transmission tho.Pajeros are notorious for it but there is not much mentioned on this for rangies
2.5 PAJERO LWB EXCEED

Attack Member
    • South Yorkshire
« Reply #10 on: January 05, 2008, 17:23:08 »
I was told the Britpart ones are designed for on-road cars and so I fitted them to my LSE (the one that kicked back) in place of the pro-comp.  They compress a lot easier so I get less bump-thump on the road, but I do get a little moe leaning, not much and had I fitted them first I'd never know.  I think they are pretty good, they are the Cellular Dynamic ones BTW.  I don't know if there is any choice about length though but they are about plus 1" which is fine for me as I have modified air suspension so the length is critical.

I run DeCarbons on the front of Blue and they have been brilliant, but typically I fit ProCopm for the warranty.  They are I'm told popular with comp-safari because they keep working when others have overheated and failed, but once you've done a few miles on them they are quite good shocks.

TBH you won't go much wrong with either.  I'd suggest doing the back shocks first normally, so that you car won't oversteer at the limit, but given you have a suspect shock on the front I don't think it will hurt to do one end then the other.

If you are buying new springs then I'd say if you don't off-road don't lift it, fit H/D (sometimes called police spec) or Disco springs and do the back end first.

Offline barriesheene

Attack Member
« Reply #11 on: January 05, 2008, 21:48:39 »
So are all the springs the same length then, just differing in stiffness' and it's only the shocks that alter ride height ? if so i could just change shocks for now and do springs later when funds allow  :dance:
2.5 PAJERO LWB EXCEED

Offline The Fat Controller

Attack Member
« Reply #12 on: January 06, 2008, 12:04:28 »
and while your playing check the top and bottom swivel bearings
BRIAN                                                              1987 Range Rover 6cyl turbo 5dr 5 speed(diesel)diesel.1988 Range Rover 3.5V8 vogue se(duck)lpg. car trailer(s c ruffy).  http://members.mud-club.com/profiles/The%20Fat%20Controller/gallery/duck  http://members.mud-club.com/profiles/The%20Fat%20Controller/gallery/diesel/0/264830-1121727056.
http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b127/2406/RANGE%20ROVER/DSC00079.jpg

Offline Mareng

Attack Member
« Reply #13 on: January 06, 2008, 12:26:05 »
So are all the springs the same length then, just differing in stiffness' and it's only the shocks that alter ride height ? if so i could just change shocks for now and do springs later when funds allow  :dance:

Its the springs that alter the height, people generally buy longer shocks to go with thier taller springs..

Steve

Guardian.

« Reply #14 on: January 06, 2008, 12:35:45 »
ANYTHING OTHERTHAN BRITPART MATE!

Offline barriesheene

Attack Member
« Reply #15 on: January 06, 2008, 16:13:03 »
looks like procomp shocks and britpart hd yellow springs for me then  :twisted:
2.5 PAJERO LWB EXCEED

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal