AuthorTopic: charge light not on but glowing  (Read 1464 times)

Offline barriesheene

• Attack: 100
    Defense: 100
    Attack Member
  • Referrals: 0
charge light not on but glowing
« on: January 04, 2008, 00:07:52 »
hello peep's  :D I've just noticed driving home from work that my charging light has acquired a very faint glow  :-k It's not on as such........... But it is definitely glowing slightly with a slight flicker. I've had new belts fitted recently cause the alternator belt snapped. How do I check the output from the alternator and weather my battery is on it's way out ? Or are they just prone to playing up ???/
CBR900RR FIREBLADE ( urban tiger GGRRRRRR !!!!!) SOLD needed money to fix the rangie
2.5 PAJERO LWB EXCEED
AVONDALE MAYFLY SOLD needed money to fix the rangie
RANGEROVER 3.9 V8 STRAIGHT THROUGH EXHAUST AND VERY MUDDY :) makes me laugh everytime i rev it

Offline Range Rover Blues

Attack Member
    • South Yorkshire
Re: charge light not on but glowing
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2008, 14:03:37 »
Hi Barry.  If it's glowing then there's a chance it's working but not keeping up with demand.  Things like the heater can draw a lot more current than perhaps they were designed to do when new.  Get a voltmeter and check that the output is well above 12volts witht he engine running, check it at the battery with everything switched off.  Once you're happy with that, it should be up to 14.3 volts, start switching things on and watch the voltage fall.  If should be able to supply 12volts at the rated current draw (65 amps as standard) with the engine at a fast idle, no more than 2,000rpm certainly.

If it can't do that then you need to get it looked at in more detail.
Blue,  1988  Range Rover 3.5 EFi with plenty of toys bolted on
Chuggaboom, 1995 Range Rover Classic
1995 Range Rover Classic Vogue LSE with 5 big sticks of Blackpool rock under the bonnet.

Offline Terranosaurus

Attack Member
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2008, 14:06:50 »
I've had this before and its usually the alternator is well on its way, it's producing so little voltage that the battery is able to overcome it and light the indicator bulb.

ie

battery voltage - alternator voltage = voltage across bulb

I've often found this to need nothing more than a new set of brushes, thats if you can get them for your alternator.
Nissan 4WD CLUB
Humber and Yorks 4x4 Response
PJ Parts - Motor Trade Workshop Consumables
2000Y 2.7TDi Terrano II
Raising money for Macmillan Cancer Support on the Mac 4x4 Challenge - www.justgiving.com/mac4x4nissan

Offline hairyasswelder

Attack Member
  • It's gonna cost ya
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2008, 16:32:41 »

I've often found this to need nothing more than a new set of brushes, thats if you can get them for your alternator.

£8 off e-bay  ;)
lucas brushes
'88 RR 3.5 efi, an on going project :o) evolving daily/slowly

Offline barriesheene

Attack Member
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2008, 17:31:27 »
Thanks guy's I'll delve abit deeper  :D
CBR900RR FIREBLADE ( urban tiger GGRRRRRR !!!!!) SOLD needed money to fix the rangie
2.5 PAJERO LWB EXCEED
RANGEROVER 3.9 V8 STRAIGHT THROUGH EXHAUST AND VERY MUDDY :) makes me laugh everytime i rev it

Offline Evilgoat

Attack Member
« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2008, 17:39:56 »
Check it goes out when the ignition is off.

Its probobly brushes or regulator pack, £s to fix normally.
I must confess the the activities of the UK governments for the past couple of years have been watched with frank admiration and amazement by Lord Vetinari. Outright theft as a policy had never occured to him.

-- (Terry Pratchett, alt.fan.pratchett)

EX HK Police Mitsubishi Pajero 2.8TD
Audi S2 Avant 360bhp
Transit LWB 2.5di (The Shed)

Offline dod51e

Attack Member
« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2008, 18:25:44 »
Before you start spending money check your battery.  First make sure that the levels are at the correct level, as low fluid will produce a poor battery.  If that is ok than I would suspect the battery is on it's way out rather than the alternator.  If you have the kit you can check it yourself.  If not just go to any independent motor factors/motor electricians and they will check the charge rate and pop an hydrometer in it.  Try to find a 'trade' supplier rather than the high street type (as noted by the fact they sell all sorts of boy-racer stuff) as they will do a better job and charge a whole lot less if you do need a battery.
My RRC did this about a year or so ago and it was definatly the battery.
Good luck.

Offline barriesheene

Attack Member
« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2008, 19:46:19 »
Before you start spending money check your battery.  First make sure that the levels are at the correct level, as low fluid will produce a poor battery.  If that is ok than I would suspect the battery is on it's way out rather than the alternator.  If you have the kit you can check it yourself.  If not just go to any independent motor factors/motor electricians and they will check the charge rate and pop an hydrometer in it.  Try to find a 'trade' supplier rather than the high street type (as noted by the fact they sell all sorts of boy-racer stuff) as they will do a better job and charge a whole lot less if you do need a battery.
My RRC did this about a year or so ago and it was definatly the battery.
Good luck.

It has been struggling lately  :doh:
2.5 PAJERO LWB EXCEED

Offline barriesheene

Attack Member
« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2008, 16:25:29 »
Update guy's. While taking a pic of the alternator for another post i had a poke around the rear of the alternator and under the rubber cap low and behold no nut !!! Well there was, but it was in the rubber boot and not holding the wire it should have been  :shock:
2.5 PAJERO LWB EXCEED

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal