AuthorTopic: axle breathers  (Read 6657 times)

Offline treeman

• Attack: 100
    Defense: 100
    Attack Member
  • Referrals: 0
axle breathers
« on: January 03, 2008, 17:35:40 »
after having a slight mishap on monday(water being deeper than i originally thought :shock:) its time to extend the breathers, can anyone tell me what pipes i need to extend and where from, iv only had a quick glance at the mo whilst i was emptying the fish pond out of my door pockets :lol:
disco 300tdi (berry) snorkle, lightbar, steering guard, winch & winch bumper unfortunatly for sale

Offline thermidorthelobster

Attack Member
Re: axle breathers
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2008, 18:18:15 »
Front one comes out in the engine bay by the bulkhead, rear one should go up the rear n/s pillar and can be accessed by unscrewing the light cluster.

You can buy an extended breather kit for anything up to 60 quid, or you can spend about 3 quid down the local aquarium shop and get some silicon hose and some push-fit connectors.

Whilst you're at it, you might as well extend the gearbox breathers, which also come up in the engine bay.
David French
Tree-hugging communist
1999 Discovery II TD5 Manual
Patriot roof rack, QT Services diff guards front & rear, DiscoParts steering guard[/url], Autologic ECU upgrade, 2" Old Man Emu lift, 235/85R16 BF Goodrich All Terrains, Safari snorkel, DiscoParts jackable sills, Warn Tabor 9000

Ex Disco 200TDI, P38a 4.6HSE and 101FC 6x6 Camper.  Africa Trip Blog

Offline chris9119

Attack Member
  • The New Big Boy, Gert...
    • Lordswood, Kent
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2008, 18:50:04 »
There are five breathers to consider, front and rear axle, gearbox, transfer box and fuel tank.

You also need to wading plugs for the bell housing and the timing belt casing.
Chris
Si hoc adfixum in obice legere potes, et liberaliter educatus et nimis propinquus ades

http://members.mud-club.com/profiles/chris9119/gallery

Mud-Clubbers do it on channel 30

Offline treeman

Attack Member
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2008, 18:57:30 »
thanks  :D i was planning to go to the local aquarium  :lol: after all the pipes are already there and they only need extending, where do the gearbox breather an the transfer box breather come out to? my gearbox is sozzled but i better protect the next one  :oops:, i wasnt intending on going that deep until it started sinking, wading plug is ordered up as we speak along with a new timing belt :lol: cheers
disco 300tdi (berry) snorkle, lightbar, steering guard, winch & winch bumper unfortunatly for sale

Offline Jake

• Regional Rep
    Attack Member
  • <insert witty comment here>
    • South Molton, Devon. UK
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2008, 21:48:43 »
If your going to use cheap hose just be carefull not to squash it with the cable ties  ;)
Jake

Owner - Land Rover Discovery 2
Driver - Land Rover Defender 100" Trayback

Offline Iain C

Attack Member
« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2008, 23:29:01 »
after having a slight mishap on monday(water being deeper than i originally thought :shock:) its time to extend the breathers, can anyone tell me what pipes i need to extend and where from, iv only had a quick glance at the mo whilst i was emptying the fish pond out of my door pockets :lol:

Ah...was that you near Henley on Monday then with the somewhat smokey Disco after we'd dragged it out?  I'm amazed it even ran at all...how bad was the damage in daylight?
1995 Discovery 300 Tdi...steering guard, diff guards, +2" full lift kit/ProComp 9000s, extended braided brake hoses, 265/75/16 MTs on Freestyles, Camel Cut, Team ME4 CB, Southdown snorkel, Defender A-bar and Wipac 4x4s, Forte treatment in anything that moves and a shiny new boot floor!

Offline 4 landies

Attack Member
« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2008, 23:37:34 »
thanks  :D i was planning to go to the local aquarium  :lol: after all the pipes are already there and they only need extending, where do the gearbox breather an the transfer box breather come out to? my gearbox is sozzled but i better protect the next one  :oops:, i wasnt intending on going that deep until it started sinking, wading plug is ordered up as we speak along with a new timing belt :lol: cheers

Breathers come out in engine bay on passenger side or at least they do on my 300.

Bought a complete breather kit from wizardbiltz for around the 30 quid mark, included banjos, copper washers and zip ties
2008 khartoum
2001 td5 disco
1997 300tdi disco
1981 series 3 lightweight

Offline chris9119

Attack Member
  • The New Big Boy, Gert...
    • Lordswood, Kent
« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2008, 08:01:30 »
my gearbox is sozzled but i better protect the next one  :oops:,

Have an LT77 box with three-months warranty if your interested.
Chris
Si hoc adfixum in obice legere potes, et liberaliter educatus et nimis propinquus ades

http://members.mud-club.com/profiles/chris9119/gallery

Mud-Clubbers do it on channel 30

Offline treeman

Attack Member
« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2008, 09:45:12 »
i was close to henley, i was in barston an it was a tad smokey after the incident but i had to get my boss to drag me out  :lol: i wish someone else did drag me out because iv been the butt of all jokes at work this week :oops: cheers for the help, thats saturdays job now, grease everything back up and the breathers thanks again

Offline rejo

Attack Member
« Reply #9 on: January 04, 2008, 11:12:59 »
Everybody has mentioned the axles and boxes but nobody has said anything about the important one ..... have a look at the back of the inj pump :shock:

Offline auf_wiedersehen_pet

Attack Member
« Reply #10 on: January 04, 2008, 18:30:50 »
Bought a complete breather kit from wizardbiltz for around the 30 quid mark, included banjos, copper washers and zip ties

Me too. Excellent bit of kit.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Rob Steele

1995 Land Rover Discovery 300 TDi - Everyday Car (Ex Jap)
2007 Toyota Avensis 2.2 T-180 - Sensible Car (Ex TSB Bank)

Offline NIVAD

Attack Member
« Reply #11 on: January 04, 2008, 20:07:04 »
Back of the injecture pump-please tell more?

I was told of another one the other day timing belt cover then bung up bottom and forget it think i might be a tad late as hole looks muddy into timing belt?
CHEERS Paul....

Offline Range Rover Blues

Attack Member
    • South Yorkshire
« Reply #12 on: January 05, 2008, 02:50:27 »
I use see-through aquarium hose so I can check it for condensation.
Blue,  1988  Range Rover 3.5 EFi with plenty of toys bolted on
Chuggaboom, 1995 Range Rover Classic
1995 Range Rover Classic Vogue LSE with 5 big sticks of Blackpool rock under the bonnet.

Offline rejo

Attack Member
« Reply #13 on: January 06, 2008, 13:38:34 »
Back of the injection pump is a small rubber pipe ..... this is a breather. If your going to the trouble of fitting extended pipes I would do this one as well.

Offline wizard

Attack Member
    • Cardiff. In the land of our fathers, so i am told
« Reply #14 on: January 06, 2008, 14:49:14 »
If you go that deep you will need a bit more that extended breather pipes !

wizard :twisted:

Offline rejo

Attack Member
« Reply #15 on: January 07, 2008, 19:24:42 »
So should I take my snorkel off then ......  :huh:

Offline wizard

Attack Member
    • Cardiff. In the land of our fathers, so i am told
« Reply #16 on: January 08, 2008, 13:41:15 »
Depends if you dont mind a wet dashboard. Just because you have a snorkle fitted doesnt mean you can drive through water that is deeper than your whole engine.

wizard

Offline rejo

Attack Member
« Reply #17 on: January 08, 2008, 21:07:59 »
So people fit snorkels for posing ?
I suppose wading is done with the doors open where you live.

Offline bobtail4x4

Attack Member
« Reply #18 on: January 08, 2008, 21:25:01 »
So people fit snorkels for posing ?
I suppose wading is done with the doors open where you live.

Its a Land Rover so not much difference?
hello mum

Offline treeman

Attack Member
« Reply #19 on: January 09, 2008, 13:27:46 »
thanks for all the replys  :lol: iv done both axles, fuel tank and either the gearbox or transfer ones, is the last breather underneath somewhere because iv only got 2 breathers attached to the bulkhead ( unless it hiding from me), also iv jus noticed i have a small oil leak coming from the wading plug hole, this isnt normal is it???

Offline NIVAD

Attack Member
« Reply #20 on: January 09, 2008, 20:01:45 »
Wheres the fuel tank one ? please
CHEERS Paul....

Offline muddyjames

Attack Member
« Reply #21 on: January 09, 2008, 20:28:27 »
erm oil from wading plug hole isnt normal. That will be from off roading without wading plug in and mud getting up in the hole and wearing the oil seel out. I had this happen to me and ended up spraying people behind me with oil. Lesson learnt big time when I towed my caravan and oil all over the caravan. Not fun to clean off.  :roll:

the parts for the oil seels is about £10 but you have to strip the engine back to the cam belt to change them. May as well change the belt whilst your there! I paid a mechanic to do mine. £200 bill. another lesson learnt!

Also about water over bonnet. Had that a few times, once the water was half way up windscreen and yes,  got a wet dash. Water flowed out the air vents on the dash and onto me! Oops. Lesson learnt but did it again at sodbury last year!

My breahtes all go into a manifold on the bulk head then 1 pipe up side of snorkel in under the snorkel top and into the snorkel top by the grill. If water gets in them then yes, I will have a wet dash and need a scuba diving kit!! :lol:
Rover 620i 223,000 miles on the clock :)
1995 300tdi auto ES Disco. Big Green Giant

Most expensive item for a Disco is????? a round piece of paper stuck on the windscreen!

Offline treeman

Attack Member
« Reply #22 on: January 10, 2008, 17:59:13 »
Wheres the fuel tank one ? please

if u get under the back drivers side it attached to the topside of the filler hose, via a zip tie i think, its a bigger diameter than the rest aswell mate ;)

i dont wanna go too deep otherwise il have to wear a snorkle myself  :lol: , i was gonna do the cam belt in the next few weeks, its not dripping bad but its enough to be concerned, is i hard to change that oil seal?

Offline muddyjames

Attack Member
« Reply #23 on: January 10, 2008, 21:54:22 »
If the oil drips out bad enough (like it did on mine) you will find you save yourself a job in the long run....................

Coating the chassis with oil all over! My chassis is coated with a nice film all over it. Just kep topping the oil up!! I would loose about 2 cups full in about 100miles if I remember rightly. I used to put the wading plug in then drain it once a week when I got complaints about oil on the car park  :roll: :-k
Rover 620i 223,000 miles on the clock :)
1995 300tdi auto ES Disco. Big Green Giant

Most expensive item for a Disco is????? a round piece of paper stuck on the windscreen!

Offline 4 landies

Attack Member
« Reply #24 on: January 18, 2008, 13:25:28 »

Also about water over bonnet. Had that a few times, once the water was half way up windscreen and yes,  got a wet dash. Water flowed out the air vents on the dash and onto me! Oops. Lesson learnt but did it again at sodbury last year!

My breahtes all go into a manifold on the bulk head then 1 pipe up side of snorkel in under the snorkel top and into the snorkel top by the grill. If water gets in them then yes, I will have a wet dash and need a scuba diving kit!! :lol:

Got the same on mine, the manifold is a great idea and its neat and tidy got 5 inlets so might plumb up the inj pump now I know about it  :dance:

Got water through the vents at Billing but the mud clogged up the blower motor, stripped and cleaned it 4 times now but think it is finally ok.
2008 khartoum
2001 td5 disco
1997 300tdi disco
1981 series 3 lightweight

Offline Disco Matt

Attack Member
« Reply #25 on: June 03, 2008, 18:44:39 »
Just resurrecting this thread as I'm now considering how to extend the breathers on mine. Is the one on the injection pump a rubber thing on the back of it which looks not unlike a saucepan (with the "handle" being the rubber breather pipe)? Also, I assume the inverted U-shaped pipe with an open end I've found behind and slightly above the engine is either the gearbox or transfer box breather?

The front axle one was easy to find at least! Planning to do them in stages, don't do much wading but would rather sort them out before anything expensive gets damaged.
1996 Discovery 300TDI. She's got it where it counts...

Offline ukmudmaster

Attack Member
    • Billericay Essex
« Reply #26 on: June 09, 2008, 21:46:58 »
Be aware that "aquarium" hose is soft and will collapse when cable tied, also it  will not withstand a vacuum. Use nylon, its not expensive and will last (almost) for ever,
Dave
Range Rover Classic EFI auto, 3.9 V8 Offroader, 300 Tdi Auto greenlaner.
axledeep@googlemail.com

Offline thermidorthelobster

Attack Member
« Reply #27 on: June 10, 2008, 17:37:48 »
Aquarium hose can be silicone or washer-hose-style plastic (is it really nylon?);  either way it's cheaper than the motor factors.  Silicone won't withstand a vacuum, but the end of your breather won't be sealed, so surely it wouldn't make a difference?
David French
Tree-hugging communist
1999 Discovery II TD5 Manual
Patriot roof rack, QT Services diff guards front & rear, DiscoParts steering guard[/url], Autologic ECU upgrade, 2" Old Man Emu lift, 235/85R16 BF Goodrich All Terrains, Safari snorkel, DiscoParts jackable sills, Warn Tabor 9000

Ex Disco 200TDI, P38a 4.6HSE and 101FC 6x6 Camper.  Africa Trip Blog

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal