AuthorTopic: Side lights shorting out?  (Read 632 times)

Offline trevauk

• Attack: 100
    Defense: 100
    Attack Member
  • Referrals: 0
Side lights shorting out?
« on: December 30, 2007, 11:40:57 »
Hi All

The passenger side sight lights, front and back seem to have started shorting out on my 1988 RRC 3.5 EFi .

I have changed the fuse three times, the last time uprating it to a 20. Each time I switch the lights on the fuse blows.

The rear brake light functions normally, but both front and rear left side lights won't.

I am no electrician but with the fuse continually blowing I am presuming there is a short somewhere.

Could anyone shed any light on where I should be looking to try and find this.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks

Treva

Offline Range Rover Blues

• Attack: 100
    Defense: 100
    Attack Member
    • South Yorkshire
  • Referrals: 0
Re: Side lights shorting out?
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2008, 02:40:55 »
You're spot on, somewhere the wiring must have shorted to earth so it's blowing fuses.

You can set about it with a test-meter or trace the wiring out to try and find it but there's no quick solution I'm afraid.

To help you a little I'd suggest removing both front and rear lamp units and looking in the vacinity of those first, then if that doesn't shed any light you 'can' unplug the rear half of the wring loom at the outer end of the dahsboard where the loom runs up the illar into the roof space.  Mine used to play up when that plug get wet so I swapped it for a packet of bullet terminals one day.
Blue,  1988  Range Rover 3.5 EFi with plenty of toys bolted on
Chuggaboom, 1995 Range Rover Classic
1995 Range Rover Classic Vogue LSE with 5 big sticks of Blackpool rock under the bonnet.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal