AuthorTopic: NORWAY  (Read 2102 times)

Offline andyhubbard

• Attack: 100
    Defense: 100
    Attack Member
  • Referrals: 0
NORWAY
« on: December 27, 2007, 23:40:27 »
As anyone taken the landy over to Norway and if you did how did you find it :?: .What i mean is the roads,fuel(diesel),places you would recommend and advise to keep clear off,where to stay/accommodation types. Decided to take the Disco overseas for the first time with wife and kids and trying to minimise any problems,cheers Andy. :wink:

Offline Jim-Willy

• Regional Rep
    Attack Member
NORWAY
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2007, 19:42:24 »
Yes it is a hell of a place would reccomend you head north into Lapland.  Nordkapp is great but damned expensive.  Didn't notice the prices of Derv which suggests it wasn't much different to here (Nothing is cheap over there tbh).

'ear all, see all, say nawt; Eyt all, sup all pay nawt; An' if ivver tha does owt fer nawt; Allus do it fer thi sen.

Offline denviks

Attack Member
NORWAY
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2007, 19:45:18 »
agree with all jim said there ...i didnt take my landie over but a normal estate car... head north...worth the effort.everything is expensive...toll roads and ferries  :wink: ...and lots of em at times....but all part of the experience.

we spent 2 weeks just traveling.... we will never forget it  8)
cheers
dennis
more moves than a dad in a disco!!!!!!!!!!

im always @ www.plcuk.co.uk

Offline sardonicus

Attack Member
Re: NORWAY
« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2007, 19:09:42 »
I would reccomend buying the book 'the rough guide to norway'.
Tells you most things you need to know about places to go,campsites etc.
'97  4.0l Jeep Grand Cherokee on L.P.G.   back to family transport :(  
'82 RRC Ambulance camper project .   Sold :(
'95 300tdi disco auto. :)

Question  Everything

Offline Roodeberg

Attack Member
« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2008, 16:38:41 »
We spent three weeks travelling through Norway, particularly up the western coast right up to Nordkapp - the whole place is beautiful and I would highly recommend it.

It costs about £20 to get onto Nordkapp itself from the mainland and then another £20 to get back off - if you want to go to the tourist "most northerly point" i.e. the one with the big cliff and statue - I think that costs about another £20 per person.

If however you don't mind a long walk over fairly rough terrain - the walk out to the ACTUAL most northerly point (known as Knieveshedlodden) takes about 5-6 hours round trip and is completely free!

We stayed in a wonderful cabin - have a look at www.northcapecabins.no - don't be put off by not having parking next to the cabin, unless you've got problems with walking, they're fine to get too - they were the best value cabins we had the whole time we were in Norway (we took quite a few as we were there last June/July - Norway got floods too!)

Don't know if you were planning to go the camping route - but if you do, there's lots of info on - http://engelsk.nafcamp.com/ - and you can do a map search as well - you should be able to pick up a free hard copy at your first campsite - most have cabins (ranging in cost between £40-£70 per night) most sleep four people and the price is dependant on the facilities inside (many don't have running water).Oh and some camp sites (the more remote ones) only have "soil" closets rather than w.c.'s!!

The main road running up the coast (the E6 if I recall correctly) is not that smooth and on occasion goes down to a single carriageway for both directions - so don't under-estimate the time it will take to get from A to B. Some of the white roads shown on the maps don't have tarmac but are usually not bad.

Personally I thought the Lofoten Islands were pleasant enough but not as good as others suggested they would be .....but each to their own on that one! Alta (near the top) has the Tirpitz museum and another museum with ancient stone carvings, Salstrumen has the worlds biggest maelstrom, if you're into that sort of thing but the campsite just beside it isn't up to much (try the one back over the two bridges).

As others have previously posted, I can't remember the fuel being pricey - so can only assume it was cheaper than the UK. Obviously alcohol is the real killer and as its not in the EU your not supposed to take much in (errrmmmmm well we did!!!)

Hope this helps!

Disco 300td1
Yamaha Fazer
Triumph Tiger
Norton Commando
Norton Interpol

Offline thermidorthelobster

Attack Member
« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2008, 17:06:06 »
Was there last summer with L90OOK.  Plenty of camping, but worth planning ahead.  Roads are predictably excellent, although in Fjordland in particular, it will take days to get anywhere, as you can never drive in anything remotely approaching a straight line.

I was thinking of a trip to North Cape next year with a few friends but it's not really got off the ground.  I make pick some of your collective brains if it does.
David French
Tree-hugging communist
1999 Discovery II TD5 Manual
Patriot roof rack, QT Services diff guards front & rear, DiscoParts steering guard[/url], Autologic ECU upgrade, 2" Old Man Emu lift, 235/85R16 BF Goodrich All Terrains, Safari snorkel, DiscoParts jackable sills, Warn Tabor 9000

Ex Disco 200TDI, P38a 4.6HSE and 101FC 6x6 Camper.  Africa Trip Blog

Offline L90OOK

Attack Member
    • Somerset
« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2008, 00:24:45 »
As thermidor said....

It's a beautiful country & on the list of need to go back too.
Most people speak English there.
Everyone we meet was very helpful.
Food was expensive...fuel about same as uk IIRC.
Campsites were really expensive...allot of people in the know were camping rough just outside the campsites & using the campsite facilities.
We ended up around the Galdhopiggen range of mountains, starting off from Stavanger.

Did everyone see that?  Because I will NOT be doing it again!

Offline garybrun

Attack Member
« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2008, 14:55:12 »
Well as I live here in Norway... what do you want to know???

Are you taking the ferry from Newcastle to Stavanger or are your driving through Europe?

If you are coming near Oslo you can stay at my place and I can show you around.
We have a stables and above it Ive built a small accommodation area so your welcome to stay here and use it as a base.
Nearly everyone speaks English and are very friendly to the English... its a war thing you know.

Everything is expensive here as we are only 4.5 million people and are twice the size of the UK.
We also like toll roads too :)
Diesel is cheaper than petrol.. today its 11.25 a liter at the pumps.

If you are a drinking man I suggest you bring your own with you as you will be looking at 7-8 quid a pint and you can only buy from the government alcohol shop at certain times.... very expensive.

If your planning a route let me have a look at it and I will try and help you.

P.s.  I am English...  but have lived here for over 15 years married to Norwegian and have two children .. girl 14 and boy 11.
Bad spellers of the world UNTIE!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal