AuthorTopic: standard springs or +1"  (Read 1850 times)

Offline kiteman0

• Attack: 100
    Defense: 100
    Attack Member
  • Referrals: 0
standard springs or +1"
« on: December 27, 2007, 13:48:48 »
all i do is green lanes,was on the strata florida yesterday and realised a lift or new springs would really help.i need to change my front shocks due to a leak,
do you think if i change the front shocks (pair)
and put new springs all round +1" will it be better.
people we was with yesterday said my suspension had sagged alot
good job there wasn't alot of water around
                                                            cheers

mentalmoshio sophs V8i

standard springs or +1"
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2007, 14:27:52 »
plus two inch pro comp set improved my ride no end. just these days are about 200 quid . plus u get gas shocks instead of oil ones

spacers are not worth it on worn out springs and shocks

ud have about 15 inch of clearence from the sills

Offline Disco Matt

Attack Member
standard springs or +1"
« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2007, 14:50:42 »
If your existing springs have sagged, you'll probably find that a set of new standard height ones will sort it. Bear in mind that a lift will make it even more difficult to find suitable car parks, plus you'll have to extend brake hoses, etc.
1996 Discovery 300TDI. She's got it where it counts...

Offline kiteman0

Attack Member
standard springs or +1"
« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2007, 15:01:11 »
i didn't really want a 2" lift, just brought wheels and tyres and they will look stupid if the vehicle is to high,if i go for standard shocks and then 1" bigger springs allround,will they work ok together.

mentalmoshio sophs V8i

standard springs or +1"
« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2007, 15:11:09 »
maybe hd springs would be the answer there about 55 quid a set gives standard height but r alot firmer there the same springs as the police use. thing is do u intend to go further off road in the future.

put it this way first year i was on standard height with replacement bushes and shocks but the springs still felt worn out.

second year on was on a 2 inch lift and 235/70/16 grizzlys  great but even around the eastnor course ( the old land rover test ground ) one it still bellyed out at times

third year till now im running 2 inch lift and 265/75/16 macho . ive notice improve balance in cross axles and alot better road stable wise cause of the wider track and the extra height.

now intend to go plus 2 on the body.

all i ll say stages are better than a vast change in my view

ive got nothing fancy just springs , shocks , brake pipes and anti roll bars still on there.

mentalmoshio sophs V8i

standard springs or +1"
« Reply #5 on: December 27, 2007, 15:18:37 »
TAKE the side step off that will help no end there always going to be bashed on standard height.

if u still need them lift them up just below the level of the door that will help and still give an easy in and out

Offline kiteman0

Attack Member
standard springs or +1"
« Reply #6 on: December 27, 2007, 15:38:48 »
have'nt got round to taking them off yet,the problem with a 2" lift is my tyres are only 205/ 80 mt i think they might look a bit silly,just been phoneing around i can get a lift 4 shocks 4 springs for £200
just working out whether its cheaper just to buy the front shocks and 4,  1" springs  this i think would lift it,
i use it alot on the road and the handling is brilliant i would hate to lift it and then the handling on road be all over the place,if you see what i mean

mentalmoshio sophs V8i

standard springs or +1"
« Reply #7 on: December 27, 2007, 15:54:04 »
see what u mean 205/80/16 would be very unstable . when i had a series 3 county on 205s it was a hand full . id seriously conisered swapping them for wider ones 235/70/16 minium

try mm4x4 they do a 1 inch kit for about 185 quid or its 25 quid for spacers from wizard with maybe new standard springs in place

Offline J.D.

Attack Member
  • ...Pure as Belfast snow...
standard springs or +1"
« Reply #8 on: December 27, 2007, 16:20:42 »
Put some new standard springs on it, and plus 1 or 2" shock abosrbers. This will give you the same ride height, but better handling and extended articulation off road.

Dislocation cones and extended brake lines will be needed though. I ran +1" shocks and the same size tyres as you when I bought my truck and it did make off roading better, and handled better with new springs.
J.D.
- - - -
'ASBO' - Blue Land Rover Recovery Discovery 200TDiS - LR GRAVEYARD OCCUPANT (RIP).
'Green Giant' - Scammel Crusader - WEEKEND WORK!
'Helga' - 2.0T Volvo V40 - BORING!
'Pheonix' - 1995 3.9 V8 Discovery soon to be converted to TDi. - FINISHED!

www.hampshire4x4response.co.uk
www.berkshire4x4response.co.uk

Offline kiteman0

Attack Member
standard springs or +1"
« Reply #9 on: December 27, 2007, 16:37:50 »
i hadnt thought about it that way around
do you think the vehicle will be unstable on those tyres with a 1" lift ?

mentalmoshio sophs V8i

standard springs or +1"
« Reply #10 on: December 27, 2007, 17:18:29 »
had 205s and they spent more time slideling s ways . the slightest dent in my path through was made bigger by them.  . 235/70/16 r way better

just think how little tyre of the would be on the highest point side on a wet grassy side slope.

Offline kiteman0

Attack Member
standard springs or +1"
« Reply #11 on: December 27, 2007, 17:52:43 »
the reason for buying these is they were cheap and came with very good cond 8 spoke steels and about 11mm of tread. we used to use them on the mountain on a defender and they seemed to cut thru most things.only got stuck once in 12 months.

Offline 90sam

Attack Member
standard springs or +1"
« Reply #12 on: December 27, 2007, 18:13:50 »
arent 205's the same as 235/70 anyway?

Offline kiteman0

Attack Member
standard springs or +1"
« Reply #13 on: December 27, 2007, 18:42:01 »
i dont know,
they are very stable on the road and dig in well offroad

mentalmoshio sophs V8i

standard springs or +1"
« Reply #14 on: December 27, 2007, 19:09:14 »
205 r16, 205/80/16, 225/75/16, 235/70/16, 255/65/16 and 30/9.5/15

all have the same height or there ish what would be a swap for a other size above all give nearly same speedo reading but the only difference is turning circle and width across the tyre

Offline crazymac

Attack Member
standard springs or +1"
« Reply #15 on: December 27, 2007, 20:10:57 »
I think there is an optimum size of tyres for a discovery, and for the 200 and 300 series the maximum you should go to is 235/70/16 any wider and you compromise the off road handleing.

from a mud point of view you need to cut through it, so wide tyres are crap, they just float on top!

regarding suspension, why is there this obsession with lifting the vehicle? That does not increase your ground clearance! its the bigger tyres that do that! with a two inch lift, your diffs are still the same height from the ground!

IMHO you would be better off with something like the bearmach springs standard height! and gas dampers. Unless you tow heavy trailers all the time you will find heavy duty springs VERY harsh on the road and not very good at keeping tyres down when off road! and with your current suspension tired the difference will be dramatic.

My suspension was very tired on the back, so I've done this, and run 235/70/16 tyres. fitted a tank guard and detachable hitch, and I get everywhere I need to!
I HAVE THE BODY OF A GOD

shame its Budda!!

Offline crazymac

Attack Member
standard springs or +1"
« Reply #16 on: December 27, 2007, 20:13:20 »
incidentally............

205.r16 and 205.80.r16 are the same! the "80" is the standard, with the 70's 85's etc a percentage of that "80"
I HAVE THE BODY OF A GOD

shame its Budda!!

Offline karlo

Attack Member
  • TATA The New Green Oval!
    • Swadlincote, South Derbyshire
standard springs or +1"
« Reply #17 on: December 27, 2007, 21:42:49 »

mentalmoshio sophs V8i

standard springs or +1"
« Reply #18 on: December 27, 2007, 22:26:50 »
Quote from: "karlo"
http://www.alloywheels.com/tyrecalc.asp

thats a handy site  :(bigsmoke):

Offline kiteman0

Attack Member
standard springs or +1"
« Reply #19 on: December 28, 2007, 09:34:33 »
Quote from: "crazymac"
I think there is an optimum size of tyres for a discovery, and for the 200 and 300 series the maximum you should go to is 235/70/16 any wider and you compromise the off road handleing.

from a mud point of view you need to cut through it, so wide tyres are crap, they just float on top!

regarding suspension, why is there this obsession with lifting the vehicle? That does not increase your ground clearance! its the bigger tyres that do that! with a two inch lift, your diffs are still the same height from the ground!

IMHO you would be better off with something like the bearmach springs standard height! and gas dampers. Unless you tow heavy trailers all the time you will find heavy duty springs VERY harsh on the road and not very good at keeping tyres down when off road! and with your current suspension tired the difference will be dramatic.

My suspension was very tired on the back, so I've done this, and run 235/70/16 tyres. fitted a tank guard and detachable hitch, and I get everywhere I need to!

that was one reason for these tyres as i have used this size for years on lowland and mountain farms,my car just needs to new shocks on the front and new springs allround,and the tow bar taking off,got a bit bent on strata forida,
+1" springs or standard ? i dont mind either way wich ever one works best.

Offline karlo

Attack Member
  • TATA The New Green Oval!
    • Swadlincote, South Derbyshire
standard springs or +1"
« Reply #20 on: December 28, 2007, 10:03:51 »
Quote from: "kiteman0"
Quote from: "crazymac"

that was one reason for these tyres as i have used this size for years on lowland and mountain farms,my car just needs to new shocks on the front and new springs allround,and the tow bar taking off,got a bit bent on strata forida,
+1" springs or standard ? i dont mind either way wich ever one works best.

My own experience, I fitted +2" Britpart springs and Procomp es 9000 shocks with cones front & rear, which I believe came from Paddocks I also removed the roll bars to which the results I am personally delighted with, next will be 235/85/16 tyres (to lift the diffs) and a TD5 prop due to a little bit of vibration.

I do wonder if it was worth fitting front cones and don't think i would again, I would fit gas shocks even with standard springs as they do tend to help handling.

mm4x4 do heavy duty springs at a good price which should give a good height difference over tired standard springs and if using tyres with a higher side wall you should get a little bit of flex in them.

Offline NIVAD

Attack Member
standard springs or +1"
« Reply #21 on: December 28, 2007, 16:06:17 »
Ive fitted +1" shocks(standard) and springs and the ride was instantly better they have sofened up a bit now but still good.
I personaly wish id gone 2" as ive put a lot of wieght into the vehicle and lost some of the hieght, so ive only just again fitted bigger front springs for winch.

So +1 is great but what you doing in future?

I also fitted some years ago those HD springs to a RRC with new shocks ther great for money and will lift a sagging rear end up but i dont think there that HD after a year it felt a little loose but for £55 they aint bad.
CHEERS Paul....

Offline ne jones

Attack Member
standard springs or +1"
« Reply #22 on: December 28, 2007, 17:57:47 »
This is a pic of mine on standard shocks and MM4x4 + 1" heavy duty springs
Cheers, Nathan.

Offline Jeff J J

Attack Member
standard springs or +1"
« Reply #23 on: December 28, 2007, 22:45:56 »
This something that you need to think about if you plan to do more off road and lanes then go for the 2" but if just need to sort out the ride then go for standerd hight with heavy duty springs. Jeff
ONES YOU MOD YOU JUST CANT STOP
1994 300Tdi 5 Door
Winch Bumper. Steering Guard. Bonnet Struts.Diff Guards. Rock Tree Sliders.
Checker Plate Rear Door Cover.2”lift.Camel Cut. Rear Work Light. 235/85/R16 on Black Zu Rims. Southdown Snorkel.Chequer Plating. Gulf Grill. Light Bar.
Wish list / Fuel Tank Guard. Winch. Side Exit Exhausts .Bucket Seat.

Offline kiteman0

Attack Member
standard springs or +1"
« Reply #24 on: December 29, 2007, 11:45:33 »
thanks for all your replies
ultra-hunter:your disco looks good with the 1" springs
i bet its the best car youve ever had  :lol:   :lol:
i think i will put a new pair of shocks on the front
and +1" springs allround

Offline Disco Matt

Attack Member
standard springs or +1"
« Reply #25 on: December 29, 2007, 14:53:51 »
I'll second the recommendation of gas shocks - they do wonders for the handling.
1996 Discovery 300TDI. She's got it where it counts...

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal