AuthorTopic: Power steering on a S3?  (Read 869 times)

Offline Mud Junkie

• Attack: 100
    Defense: 100
    Attack Member
  • Referrals: 0
Power steering on a S3?
« on: December 23, 2007, 15:37:47 »
Hi,
My mate is keen on getting a Series 2 or 3 as he prefers the look to Defenders (he has no taste!). However due to  an injury, he needs power steering.
Just how difficult would it be to sort our Power steering, using perhaps a defender unit?
Anybody done this before - someone must have?!
I think its best he just buys a defender, but he's having none of it!
MUD JUNKIE
If it isn't dirty...    ...you're not having fun!

Offline S188

Attack Member
Power steering on a S3?
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2007, 19:02:05 »
Has been done in the past, I think Chris Perfect (no longer in buesness aparently) used to do a kit thats a bit like a steering damper.  Seen a simular kit at a show afew years back too.  Sadly I don't know who they were or if they are stil around.

People have fitted later PAS boxes in the past but its a big job.  I think the big issue is steering box location as a series has a short solid colomn and then a rod to take the steering to the relay in the front crossmember.  The defernder 'box just has a long colapserble colomn to a box where the series relay would be and the crossmember might then be in the way a bit?  Not a bolt on job but possable if you like a bit of fabrication.

I know it sounds a little odd but has he tried one without power steering?  With the right (original) wheel rims, steering wheel and properly ajusted/maintained steering system the series setup isn't especally heavy - certainly not in the same legue as those taistless poorly built modern coil spring rubbish that came afterwards - then again your friend is obveously already aware of these points and rightfully demands a genuine landy. :lol: .  With series looks and springs that don't keep falling out of place, who could blame them!
Glen
1956 88" Station Wagon
1992 VW Transporter Syncro
19** assorted broken machinery

Offline edy

Attack Member
Power steering on a S3?
« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2007, 12:10:27 »
there are sites that sell the kits, such as this one,
http://www.allabout4x4.com/landroverseriespowersteering.html

but if you go round a scrappers yard, find yourself a PAS pump and box ect it can be done with fabrication, let him try it without Power steering though, he might find it fine as s188 said. i was going to do mine but cant be bothered, to much work considering it is fine how it is.
landy 109 truck-cab ex-mill (currently for sale)
series 2A V6 essex 8)

http://www.freewebs.com/edylandrovers/index.htm
"there is a light at the end of every tunnel, just pray it aint a train"

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal