AuthorTopic: it won't start!  (Read 1669 times)

gords

it won't start!
« on: December 20, 2007, 11:54:35 »
My poor Freelander has been SORN'd for a couple of months and only started a few times during that period.

It went on ebay and sold  :cry:  just recently. When I tried to start it, it just refused! It turns over just fine, on the odd occasion it sounds like it fires once, but that's about it.

I tried jump-starting it from another car, there's definitely fuel because you can smell it and it started fine the last time I tried.

The RAC came and tried for about 45 minutes without success. he cleaned the plugs, checked for a spark (not sure how strong it was though?) and had it boosted from his van.

I then changed the plugs but still nothing. I have a new distributor cap to try ... ?

Considering that the last time it was used it started fine, ran fine and was parked up as usual, does anyone have any ideas on what might be wrong with it?

By the way, I had to cancel the eBay sale as I could not get the car started ... gutted  :wink:

Kaneda

it won't start!
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2007, 12:19:54 »
It is possibly the cam shaft sensor or the flywheel sensor.

Offline Mash

• Attack: 100
    Defense: 100
    Attack Member
    • Lincoln
  • Referrals: 0
Re: it won't start!
« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2007, 16:13:35 »
Quote from: "gords"

there's definitely fuel because you can smell it and it started fine the last time I tried.

Has the fuel gone off ??
Hit it till it breaks then hit it some more !

"Jingle" 200Tdi 110 - Which way to the mud ??

gords

Re: it won't start!
« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2007, 17:10:03 »
Quote from: "Mash"
Quote from: "gords"

there's definitely fuel because you can smell it and it started fine the last time I tried.

Has the fuel gone off ??

Possible, I suppose ... how long does it take for petrol to go off? There isn't much in the tank at the moment.

Offline G30RGE

Attack Member
  • County Durham
it won't start!
« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2007, 19:30:57 »
It can go off over 2/3 months - depending on quality of fuel
It can also 'gum up' carbs etc......
2004 Disco II G4 Le - Borrego Yellow
1999 Disco II - Borrego Yellow

Kaneda

it won't start!
« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2007, 09:40:23 »
I've fired up a V8 and had it MOT'd with 1 year old fuel in, no problems.

Offline carbore

Attack Member
it won't start!
« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2007, 15:16:21 »
Hello,

Definitley try the dizzy cap and rotor arm, they can be prone to water ingress via condensation so based on it being left that would seem likley, also not too expensive to try.

Imobiliser?  if the system whent flat perhaps its lost its way and needs a reset  or the service key.

Could be HT leads, but if the RAC man gave it a load of WD40 then that should cure it. But even more may help.

Im assuming there was nothing wrong whit it when it was laid up.

Check all the fuses, sounds strange but my elsie blows them when it sits around.  And check them ALL.

Yes could be CAM sensor, but also ide air control valve or throttle position sensor. If you get a friend to turn the key to on whilst you have your head under the bonnet you should gear them move (whirr click) They are supposed to auto zero but could be that.

Fuel pump, unless you are sure that its getting fuel.

Flooded?  May be earlier attempts with not enough spark have flooded it and now the sprks fixed ther is too much gas.  To clear it crank the engine with the fuel pump disconnected (electric) and it may start then stop when it burns out the fuel.

Fuel pump inertia switch.  Not sure where it is, but this could have been affected so needs a pres to reset it (wont cost anything to try)

Bad Earth.  Now this is more fiddly, but has a bad earth developed whilst the car is stored, very hard to find other than undoing all earth points then redoing them with a make over.  Although I think you can use jump leads to try it out, especially round any HT areas, but be careful.

Kick it really hard.

Collapsed fuel line!
My Elise (K series petrol) had the line form the filter to the injector rail collapse internally  and block. I wobbled it and it ran then cut out again. Replaced it and fine ever since.

Good luck.

I suppose you could allways try the ebay again if it gets going.  Provided you were straight with them and they really wanted the car. Especially if you keep any receipts for the bits. (also try contacting the second highest bidder)
CORNISH SPRINT AND HILLCLIMB CHAMPION 2009

Lotus Elise (Tuned/lightened for sprint racing Championship winner 2009)
Freelander 1 TD4 Auto AKA the Big Black Bus (Brownchurch Roof Rack, Hatch Bag rear liner)
Ferguson T20 "Grey Fergie" TVO Tractor 1951

Offline carbore

Attack Member
it won't start!
« Reply #7 on: December 21, 2007, 15:19:46 »
PS If you do anything with the fuel line be very careful

Its under a lot of pressure even when not running, mine blew off once an sprayed pertol in my eyes which vas very very  nasty, fortunately had a big bottle of drinking water in the garrage so squirted it all out if I haddnt then id have been in trouble!
CORNISH SPRINT AND HILLCLIMB CHAMPION 2009

Lotus Elise (Tuned/lightened for sprint racing Championship winner 2009)
Freelander 1 TD4 Auto AKA the Big Black Bus (Brownchurch Roof Rack, Hatch Bag rear liner)
Ferguson T20 "Grey Fergie" TVO Tractor 1951

gords

it won't start!
« Reply #8 on: December 22, 2007, 01:39:10 »
Thanks for all the advice / ideas / etc! Hopefully, the weather is going to be a bit better this weekend so I may actually feel like going out there and trying again :wink:

Quote from: "carbore"
I suppose you could allways try the ebay again if it gets going. Provided you were straight with them and they really wanted the car. Especially if you keep any receipts for the bits. (also try contacting the second highest bidder)

well, let's just say, it wasn't my idea to put it on ebay in the first place :wink: Here's hoping January starts off really well, work-wise [-o<

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal