AuthorTopic: Help - I looked at one today but I'm not convinced !?  (Read 4227 times)

Offline cardiff_gareth

• Attack: 100
    Defense: 100
    Attack Member
  • Referrals: 0
Help - I looked at one today but I'm not convinced !?
« on: December 18, 2007, 13:26:12 »
well looked at one today and I have doubts on it.
It was up for £4250, X reg TD4 81k miles F(LR)SH

Firstly the back door was leaking, the was loads of condensation on the rear door and when I opended the safe up it was really wet in there, the guy tried telling me it was condensation from being so cold and to prove it he opened the 02 plate next to it - it was bone dry, he looked well daft  :lol:
Do LR still fix this problem under warranty :?:

back door, off the alarm fob I could get the window down but on locking it stayed down, should it go back up :?:

No parcel shelf

Up front and the windscreen has all water droplets on the inside, like hen it rains and you get them big beads of water on the outside, well this was on the inside, do Freelanders suffer from dodgy windscreens

clock had given up the ghost

On the test drive it smoked like hell, close to the back door there was black smoke every now and then but mostly whitish grey.

Gets back and I reverve it with full lock on back into its space and, i'm not sure cause it was uphill slighly but it felt like it was braking when I eased off the gas :?:

Lastly, this concerned me more than anything, the coolent was red so that was ok but it was bubbling, in Disco terms that means pressure and dodgy head gasket, it is the same with a Freelander, he undid the expansion filler cap and it, what can only be described as exhaust fumes from it that quickly disappeared after a few seconds

It drove really nice and I liked the fact it has power and was quiet but is this a walk away jobbie and keep searching :?: :?:
Moved over to the dark side - Suzuki's !

Offline denviks

Attack Member
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2007, 13:29:11 »
the rear window goes up with the key in the rear boot door lock..... :wink:

think i would walk away from that one mate  :wink:
cheers
dennis
more moves than a dad in a disco!!!!!!!!!!

im always @ www.plcuk.co.uk

Offline barmiebrumie

Attack Member
    • Birmingham, M6 J7
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2007, 13:34:44 »
Dont walk away  RUN

sounds like a bad one to me, we sold one earlier this year that had no water problems but did have a sticky back window :roll: ,

smoke & bubbling mmm --- no thanks's, there's plenty more on the market
John.

Offline V8MoneyPit

Attack Member
Re: Help - I looked at one today but I'm not convinced !?
« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2007, 16:52:52 »
Quote from: "cardiff_gareth"
Firstly the back door was leaking, the was loads of condensation on the rear door and when I opended the safe up it was really wet in there

This is quite common on the 3 door models. You will find one that is dry so look elsewhere.

back door, off the alarm fob I could get the window down but on locking it stayed down, should it go back up :?:

If you mean making it go right down by holding the button on the fob, it does only go down, not up. I guess it's aimed at putting shopping in the back, then getting it to drive off and raising it from inside.
If you mean just going down an inch or so and staying there, then it's faulty.

Walk away!
Rgds
Steve

"Reality is wrong. Dreams are for real."

Land Rover build:
www.daisythediesel.com

Photos (my other passion and weakness):
http://www.flickr.com/photos/v8moneypit/

Offline cardiff_gareth

Attack Member
« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2007, 17:00:23 »
Defo think its a walk waway jobbie, i'll keep looking, they're so hard to get hold of arn't they  :evil:

Offline V8MoneyPit

Attack Member
« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2007, 17:11:50 »
Defo think its a walk waway jobbie, i'll keep looking, they're so hard to get hold of arn't they  :evil:

No doubt you've seen plenty of petrol ones advertised, but oil burners are far more difficult to find.

There seem to be a few on AutoTrader at the moment.
Rgds
Steve

"Reality is wrong. Dreams are for real."

Land Rover build:
www.daisythediesel.com

Photos (my other passion and weakness):
http://www.flickr.com/photos/v8moneypit/

Offline thermidorthelobster

Attack Member
« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2007, 19:34:07 »
I think you know the answer already...

Find one you're happy with.
David French
Tree-hugging communist
1999 Discovery II TD5 Manual
Patriot roof rack, QT Services diff guards front & rear, DiscoParts steering guard[/url], Autologic ECU upgrade, 2" Old Man Emu lift, 235/85R16 BF Goodrich All Terrains, Safari snorkel, DiscoParts jackable sills, Warn Tabor 9000

Ex Disco 200TDI, P38a 4.6HSE and 101FC 6x6 Camper.  Africa Trip Blog

Offline schuee

Attack Member
« Reply #7 on: December 18, 2007, 22:43:24 »
Definetly walk away from that one mate, there will be one out their just a case of waiting, it will be worth it.

Cheers & Happy Christmas To All.

Offline carbore

Attack Member
« Reply #8 on: December 19, 2007, 09:52:39 »
If it wasnt for the impending engine doom then things like door seals can be fixed if the rest of the vehicle is fine.  However that car sounds like a heap of trouble!  

Run away!!!!!! (in fully monty python style)
CORNISH SPRINT AND HILLCLIMB CHAMPION 2009

Lotus Elise (Tuned/lightened for sprint racing Championship winner 2009)
Freelander 1 TD4 Auto AKA the Big Black Bus (Brownchurch Roof Rack, Hatch Bag rear liner)
Ferguson T20 "Grey Fergie" TVO Tractor 1951

Offline cardiff_gareth

Attack Member
« Reply #9 on: December 22, 2007, 22:37:13 »
off to look at another tomorrow, 2000 v reg 2.0 Di, its up for £4400 and is in that burnt orangey colour, looks real nice and the dealer seems to know he's on about, told me the boot was dry as a bone before I mentioned it and that most be looks at are wet in the boot so he knows all about that grumble. He has only had in 3 diesels this year and a heap of petrols.

he even kept it for me til tomorrow so its off sale for today and he's putting diesel in it so i can test drive it for up to an hour if I want to  8)

Looks promising  [-o<

Kaneda

« Reply #10 on: December 22, 2007, 22:42:12 »
£4400 is a high price for a V reg. Trade in value 2 years ago for a Y plate was 4.5k!

Offline richoutthere

Attack Member
Walk away
« Reply #11 on: December 23, 2007, 10:22:15 »
Rear window is a common problem, normally just a poor  door seal.
The rear window can have a fault with the controller inside the door, so it doesn't work properly, could be the water thats had a hand in that from the leaking window. Not supposed to be expensive.
My 1.8 does use a little water but definatley no smoke or bubbles! RUN.
Reversing in a freelander does feel exactley as you say, it's the viscous coupling dragging. They all do it to some extent, think they all do it and did from new.
Great all rounders, comfortable, capable, well equiped and well built for the money. Just try and find all that from any other softroader! Keep  looking for a decent one.

Offline cardiff_gareth

Attack Member
« Reply #12 on: December 23, 2007, 18:06:40 »
Well I looked at it.......and that one is staying there as well !

First impressions looked real nice. Tries the fob button to put rear window down and no joy ain't playing ball at all. Then I notice that there is so much damp / condensation in the vehicle that its actually formed large beads of water that are running down the windscreen. its even looks like it has rained on the sunvisor supports !
Gets into the rear and the safe lock is super stiff and once in it is so wet that when i touch the carpet it leaves my hands wet.

So I think what the hell, I'll take it for a quick blast, starts up a bit slow but she fires up. Cleans all the water off the windscreen and start to drive off. Something defo doesn't want to play ball in the rear and its hard work moving it. Once on the road i have to pull over onto a entrance slip road to the main road as I can't find 3rd ! The gearbox felt like nothing, no positive gears at all, every gear was a  struggle to engage - once you had found it. When engaging gears there is also a bang from the rear of the car somewhere. So as I'm thinking to myself 'hmm nice lemon' as we pull into the forecourt I try some slow full lock manuveres. Full lock and something behind in the engine bay starts banging away, then I drive slowly and when I take my foot off the gas it just stops dead - like the handbrake had been pulled up.

Keys were swiftly given back !!
Told the owner of the forecourt the problems and he says and I quote 'Land rovers aren't really for you are they'
 :(bigshock):

cheeky git !
He reacons the way of checking the IRD is wrong, all 4x4's (not just freelanders do it and I'm wrong.

I'll keep on looking - getting the impression all Freelander under 5K are bad  :?:

Kaneda

« Reply #13 on: December 24, 2007, 00:04:54 »
Freelander 1's are fraught with problems, but RAVE has the TSB's, or take it to a dealer and get them sorted for free. Do not pay over 3k for one, they are very devalued by FL2, and all have problems. I assume you are looking at sub 2002/3 models, so average price should be 2.5k

Offline cardiff_gareth

Attack Member
« Reply #14 on: December 31, 2007, 12:54:31 »
Well I'm having details sent to me as we speak on a 2000 W reg Xedi model, its up for £3000

i can't beleive how hard it is to find a decent one so fingers crossed for this one as well !

whats a TSB then, is it a defect that freelanders were recalled for, if so does it make a difference on the cars age etc when trying to get the main stealer to fix the problems, main thing i'm worried about is leaks, especially the back door one

Offline cardiff_gareth

Attack Member
« Reply #15 on: January 02, 2008, 22:57:56 »
well to give an update - the hunt is over and it wasn't successful, looked at another that was equally as bad as the last so i have decided to give the Freelander looking a miss for the near future and bought my self a 51 plate Renault Laguna 1.9dci Privilage Sports Tourer, the 4x4 days will be back.........someday ;)

Kaneda

« Reply #16 on: January 02, 2008, 23:28:23 »
God alone help you when you need to change a front lamp, designed by the devil. You have to take half the front end off! You though the Disco rear lights were bad hahahahahahaha

Snake110

« Reply #17 on: January 07, 2008, 01:31:27 »
Well I looked at it.......and that one is staying there as well !

First impressions looked real nice. Tries the fob button to put rear window down and no joy ain't playing ball at all. Then I notice that there is so much damp / condensation in the vehicle that its actually formed large beads of water that are running down the windscreen. its even looks like it has rained on the sunvisor supports !
Gets into the rear and the safe lock is super stiff and once in it is so wet that when i touch the carpet it leaves my hands wet.

So I think what the hell, I'll take it for a quick blast, starts up a bit slow but she fires up. Cleans all the water off the windscreen and start to drive off. Something defo doesn't want to play ball in the rear and its hard work moving it. Once on the road i have to pull over onto a entrance slip road to the main road as I can't find 3rd ! The gearbox felt like nothing, no positive gears at all, every gear was a  struggle to engage - once you had found it. When engaging gears there is also a bang from the rear of the car somewhere. So as I'm thinking to myself 'hmm nice lemon' as we pull into the forecourt I try some slow full lock manuveres. Full lock and something behind in the engine bay starts banging away, then I drive slowly and when I take my foot off the gas it just stops dead - like the handbrake had been pulled up.

Keys were swiftly given back !!
Told the owner of the forecourt the problems and he says and I quote 'Land rovers aren't really for you are they'
 :(bigshock):

cheeky git !
He reacons the way of checking the IRD is wrong, all 4x4's (not just freelanders do it and I'm wrong.

I'll keep on looking - getting the impression all Freelander under 5K are bad  :?:

sounds like IRD to me  :roll: walk away

Offline Eck-T

Attack Member
« Reply #18 on: January 10, 2008, 19:06:49 »
Traded my 1999 1.8i after spending over 4K on new engine , new tyres , new exhaust , new door wining motors/ assy
got sick of having to lash out dosh every few months
got 2000 for it with 47K on clock but have to say i was glad to get rid, freelander will never be a real landrover it a pile of crap, landrover avoid at all cost any responsibility for problems, engine was u/s after 32k miles absolutely rubbish, new engine from other supplier was much better but rest of vehicle drivetrain etc was on its way out, i wouldnt take a free one
Follow if you like but dont blame me

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal