AuthorTopic: New to potential Freebie ownership and need some advice  (Read 1673 times)

Offline cardiff_gareth

• Attack: 100
    Defense: 100
    Attack Member
  • Referrals: 0
New to potential Freebie ownership and need some advice
« on: December 12, 2007, 20:00:53 »
Selling the Disco to fund a Freebie due to a few reasons. Seen these 3, what one sounds the best to you, I'm looking to get a TD4, anything I should be looking for :?:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/2003-Land-Rover-Freelander-TD4-S_W0QQitemZ140188914989QQihZ004QQcategoryZ29748QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
cheap but high milage

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=120196154749&fromMakeTrack=true&ssPageName=VIP:watchlink:middle:uk
nice !

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=140162821723&fromMakeTrack=true&ssPageName=VIP:watchlink:middle:uk
um, looks ok but doesn't fill me with 'ohh nice car!'

I'm thinking Freebie 2 looks the best.

Can you get aftermarket roofbars if there are none fitted already, is there a gutter for them to fit in :?:
Is the TD4 reliable :?:
Any issues with road tax if its a 51 or 53 plate, is there a cut off point for higher tax as with the larger Disco's / Defenders :?:
Moved over to the dark side - Suzuki's !

Offline carbore

Attack Member
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2007, 21:34:15 »
Re roof bars.

There are usually a lot of "propper" land rover ones on ebay.  

They fit into special holes into the roof and bolt in, im not sure if the bolts are  if the car does not have the bars, id guess not.

If you want to use the roof, then you need cross bars, also ebay.

However if you end up with a car with no bars, then why not go straight to a G4 or Brownchurch full length rack (these dont need to side bars and bolt directly to the fitting points.  I have a brownchurch one aka "the beast rack" and to be honest, without it the car would have been found wanting for several load lugging jobs.  Mind you I think mine cost £350 new!!!!!
CORNISH SPRINT AND HILLCLIMB CHAMPION 2009

Lotus Elise (Tuned/lightened for sprint racing Championship winner 2009)
Freelander 1 TD4 Auto AKA the Big Black Bus (Brownchurch Roof Rack, Hatch Bag rear liner)
Ferguson T20 "Grey Fergie" TVO Tractor 1951

Offline schuee

Attack Member
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2007, 22:21:31 »
I agree, Freebie 2 looks a tidy car, doesn't mention anything about service history though so could be a bargaining tool.
The TD4 I drive has had a new ECU fitted under warranty, and a new fuel pump also under warranty, though I find it good to drive and had no probs greenlaning :) So hopefully any probs on this one would have been sorted under warranty.
Mine is the most basic model you can get being a commercial, its all plastic trim, the ones you are looking at would be alot more refined and a quieter ride.

Cheers

Offline cardiff_gareth

Attack Member
« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2007, 08:21:47 »
What are the older diesel's like then as this is on my doorstep:

http://www.cowbridgeroadmotorco.co.uk/GetDealer.do?did=5565&pageid=1

Scroll down to the LAND ROVER FREELANDER 2.0 Xdi

its cheap as chips and looks nice  :wink:

Offline V8MoneyPit

Attack Member
« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2007, 13:02:04 »
The older diesels are a bit agricultural by comparison to the TD4, but they seem to be reliable sloggers. They are actually far more difficult to find than the TD4 since they made fewer of them, I believe.
Rgds
Steve

"Reality is wrong. Dreams are for real."

Land Rover build:
www.daisythediesel.com

Photos (my other passion and weakness):
http://www.flickr.com/photos/v8moneypit/

Offline schuee

Attack Member
« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2007, 13:04:37 »
Not quite sure mate, though not heard anything negative about them, though I am sure people will try to put you off buying a Freebie, they just don't know what they are missing  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:

Looks tidy, quite like the old shape look aswell.

Offline Llanigraham

Attack Member
« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2007, 15:08:08 »
The older L series diesel is a bit noisier and more "agricultural" but is reckoned by many to be unburstable!

Mine has done 86k now with no engine problems at all, and if driven "moderatally" is giving me more than 40 mpg.
MSA Radio: Worcester1

Offline cardiff_gareth

Attack Member
« Reply #7 on: December 17, 2007, 19:52:13 »
right,
been looking and looking for a nice diesel one, not many around is there !

I'm looking at this one tomorrow:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=140162821723&ssPageName=STRK:MEWA:IT&ih=004

Anything I should look out for, does it seem a good price, what does a GS offer over this S model :?:

He has a 2002 GS with 51K miles on for £6500.00 but I think thats a little steep for me  :cry:

going to see what he'll give me p/x for the Disco, I've been offered £1500 for mine on ebay but I hate selling cars, all the what if's and all that so I think a p/x might be a better peice of mind deal, saying that, if he offers me something daft then it miht be the ebay offer after all, we'll find out tomorrow !

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal