AuthorTopic: V8 Distributor  (Read 5539 times)

Offline BigSi

• Attack: 100
    Defense: 100
    Attack Member
  • Referrals: 0
V8 Distributor
« on: December 10, 2007, 20:12:52 »
Been looking a replacement distributor, and just wanted some info.

The one on the 3.5 V8 efi has two leads coming from it, leading to a socket on the suppression block (I think?), below the ignition coil.

The ones I’ve seen have a module on the side requiring an additional link cable (paddocks). I’m assuming the link cable connects to the same socket on the suppression coil. Is this ok to use on mine, and what does the cable do?

I think the one on there now is the 'Lucas 'Limb' system 35DM8'

http://www.v8engines.com/electrics-1.htm
“I am an expert of electricity. My father occupied the chair of applied electricity at the state prison.”

skip

V8 Distributor
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2007, 21:00:43 »
Hi Simon, any particular reason for changing your dizzy?

Offline BigSi

Attack Member
V8 Distributor
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2007, 21:20:23 »
Hi Pete.

Took the Landy to Lucas last week for a tune. When the guy returned from a test drive, as he approached the garage he lost all power, engine blipping away max 10mph in first (was a bit annoyed as he thought he had cured all the faults!). When he started it a little time later, if revved fine. He said it could be the bushes or something breaking down inside the distributor.

So I thought the best thing to do is replace the whole distributor (already has new vacuum chamber, cap, & rotor arm).
“I am an expert of electricity. My father occupied the chair of applied electricity at the state prison.”

skip

V8 Distributor
« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2007, 21:27:29 »
Ah I see, I know the dizzys have a reputation for causing problems. I'm just being nosey :oops:  IIRC the later dizzy can be used on the 3.5, just can't remember how :?

Offline BigSi

Attack Member
V8 Distributor
« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2007, 21:34:57 »
From what I can gather (before the Paddock web side went down), you have to buy a link cable if your using the new 35DLM8 distributor, but I’m not a 100% sure on that?

Just have a few more things to sort (just ordered a new air flow meter!), and she should be purring like a kitten….have I just jinks myself!  :shock:  :shock:  :shock:  :shock:

skip

V8 Distributor
« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2007, 21:50:41 »
http://www.rimmerbros.co.uk/rimmer/rover/v8engine/ignition

This might not be totally relevant but it might help.

Offline BigSi

Attack Member
V8 Distributor
« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2007, 22:15:50 »
Thanks Mate. Did find that one, but was put off by those prices!!!! :shock:  :shock:  :shock:  :shock:

skip

V8 Distributor
« Reply #7 on: December 10, 2007, 22:36:35 »
They are a bit steep. TBH I can't stand the whole rimmer website, it's really tough to awkward to use or i'm a bit thick :lol:

Offline BigSi

Attack Member
V8 Distributor
« Reply #8 on: December 10, 2007, 22:38:22 »
Quote from: "skip"
it's really tough to awkward to use or i'm a bit thick :lol:

Im glad Im not the only one!  :D

Offline fezzy192

Attack Member
  • THERES NOTHING BETTER IN LIFE THAN THE GREEN OVAL
    • birmingham
dizzy
« Reply #9 on: December 11, 2007, 09:07:29 »
i know mm4x4 have a deal on at the moment heres the link
http://www.mm-4x4.com/v8-distributor-new---not-exchange-1922-p.asp

Offline Bowie

Attack Member
V8 Distributor
« Reply #10 on: December 11, 2007, 09:15:04 »
Sounds like the ignition amplifier or your coil -mainly because it seems heat related.

The 'supressor' is actually the ignition amplifier and a whole lot cheaper than a whole new dizzy..
1980 SIII Lightweight 2.25 Petrol - completely standard.
1991 Range Rover Vogue SE 3.9 V8 - now on LPG (sorted!), 2" lift, mud tyres, and more to come...

Offline BigSi

Attack Member
V8 Distributor
« Reply #11 on: December 11, 2007, 18:10:32 »
I know its not the coil as I change it for a new one…then back again. I hope its not the ignition amplifier, as I have just ordered a new distributor!  :shock:  :shock:  :shock:  :shock:

Offline BigSi

Attack Member
V8 Distributor
« Reply #12 on: December 12, 2007, 18:23:22 »
Received my new distributor today, but a little puzzled on how is connects?

This is the old one:

This is the new one:

This is the connection lead supplied:

This is where the leads on the old distributor connect to on the ignition amplifier (circled):

And this is the connection on the ignition amplifier:

Offline drmike

Attack Member
V8 Distributor
« Reply #13 on: December 12, 2007, 19:24:49 »
I'm either being dense or helpful.

I thought that the unit on the side of the newer distributors replaced the unit mounted on the wing - I thought that they were both amplifiers.

You can't need two amplifiers so that lead must in some way eliminate the one in the wing.

I wasn't awwre you could use the later distributor in older V8s and when I had disributor troubles like yours I replaced the distributor and amplifier in one go.

I had a similar problem to yours at one stage but I can't recall how I fixed it but I did. I don't think it was the distributor that was the problem I think it was the carbs although it felt like electrical. A new coil didn't do it I know that and I got into a pickle over the wiring around the amplifier which a friend who was involved in the design of the distributor sorted out for me. I had managed to get two leads reveresed and that meant while it ran it wasn't getting teh right wave profile. There are in fact serviceable parts within the amplifier but the problem wasn't there either.

In no way being offensive but you have checked all the circuits and connectors as it only takes a small problem to cause your issue. I'm sure there's some stupid connection somewhere that can cause this intermittently - if it comes back to me I'll post again.

Mike

Offline BigSi

Attack Member
V8 Distributor
« Reply #14 on: December 12, 2007, 20:24:05 »
As an electrician loose connections was the first thing that I looked for. I couldn’t find anything, the garage couldn’t find anything, but the guy at Lucas suggested that it could be the distributor.

I got it from Paddocks, where is said;

“Direct replacement for all EFI distributors with an integral 3 pin ignition module. If your distributor has a remote 2 pin module you will also require STC1212 link lead.”

So where would the lead from the new distributor go to? Or is it the wrong one?  :shock:

Offline drmike

Attack Member
V8 Distributor
« Reply #15 on: December 12, 2007, 21:05:24 »
I did say I might be being dumb!

Surely the purpose of the lead is to eliminate the unit on the wing but retain the coil in the circuit.

I can't recall now what the connectors are but in your picture do those wires going into the black block connector go to the coil? I have lost the wiring diagrams I had for this but it took a lot of research to work it all out as the Haynes manuals for example are sketchy on distributors of this age.

Basically I'd have thought you want to eliminate the amplifier in the wing so you do what it takes to do that. I thought the output from the module on the side of the distributor is your new amplifier, therefore whatever used to go from wing mounted amp to coil now needs to come from the module on the side of the distributtor. But being the old git I am I don't think you can do this! Otherwsie I'd have done it when I was fighting my V8 - if it's any encouragement I won in the end.

Mike

Offline BigSi

Attack Member
V8 Distributor
« Reply #16 on: December 12, 2007, 21:29:54 »
Thanks Mike. I just want it to run right! It's a case of a Range Rover engine in a Defender, so I’m not sure how true to the original configuration it is. I have a second hand one that is the same, so I might give that one a go. I’m hoping the garage might figure out how to adapt the new one…..otherwise does anybody want to buy a new distributor!!!  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal