AuthorTopic: WIRING FRONT SPOTS  (Read 825 times)

Offline kiteman0

• Attack: 100
    Defense: 100
    Attack Member
  • Referrals: 0
WIRING FRONT SPOTS
« on: December 07, 2007, 13:52:16 »
HI TO ALL,COULD SOME ONE GIVE ME AN IDIOTS GIUDE TO WIRING A SET OF FRONT SPOTS.IVE SEEN A DIAGRAM BUT DON'T REALLY UNDERSTAND IT, NEVER DONE ANY WIRING ON A VEHICLE BEFORE.CAN I GO STRAIGHT FROM THE SPOTS TO THE MAIN BEAM WIRE ? DO I NEED A RELAY ? DO I NEED A INLINE FUSE ? WHO KNOWS ? HOPEFULLY SOME ONE OUT THERE.CHEERS IN ADVANCE.

Offline Evilgoat

Attack Member
WIRING FRONT SPOTS
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2007, 14:08:21 »
Do a search on the site and look in my gallery and you'll find all you need as its been covered a lot of times.

If you really are that unsure you may be better finding a local memeber and bri<<< asking them to look in exchange for beer :)
I must confess the the activities of the UK governments for the past couple of years have been watched with frank admiration and amazement by Lord Vetinari. Outright theft as a policy had never occured to him.

-- (Terry Pratchett, alt.fan.pratchett)

EX HK Police Mitsubishi Pajero 2.8TD
Audi S2 Avant 360bhp
Transit LWB 2.5di (The Shed)

Offline kiteman0

Attack Member
WIRING FRONT SPOTS
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2007, 14:17:30 »
CHEERS FOR THE REPLY,I WILL TAKE A LOOK IN THE GALLERY CHEERS

Offline Iain C

Attack Member
WIRING FRONT SPOTS
« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2007, 14:36:07 »
NO NEED TO SHOUT FELLA!!!!

We like lower case in here!! :lol:  :D
1995 Discovery 300 Tdi...steering guard, diff guards, +2" full lift kit/ProComp 9000s, extended braided brake hoses, 265/75/16 MTs on Freestyles, Camel Cut, Team ME4 CB, Southdown snorkel, Defender A-bar and Wipac 4x4s, Forte treatment in anything that moves and a shiny new boot floor!

Offline wizard

Attack Member
    • Cardiff. In the land of our fathers, so i am told
WIRING FRONT SPOTS
« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2007, 15:09:12 »
This might help

Regards
wizard

Offline kiteman0

Attack Member
WIRING FRONT SPOTS
« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2007, 16:35:15 »
Quote from: "wizard"
This might help

Regards
wizard

thanks for that,i've brought a relay,wire,inline fuse,connecters.i'll give it ago tommorrow

Offline Disco Matt

Attack Member
WIRING FRONT SPOTS
« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2007, 16:44:20 »
The fun part, in my experience, was wiring the actual lights together. My bar came with four Wipac work lights, each of which were pre-wired. I did consider trying to rewire them but the 27 amp cable wouldn't fit through the holes in the light housing (especially as there'd have been two cables coming in and two going out, to wire them in parallel). In the end I was forced to build a power bus using 27a cable with the live and earth wires from each light spliced in appropriately (all joints soldered - I would never use scotchlocks on something drawing this many amps) and wrapped in copious amounts of insulation tape.
1996 Discovery 300TDI. She's got it where it counts...

Offline Ja1983

Attack Member
  • This week I have mostly been fixing....
WIRING FRONT SPOTS
« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2007, 22:12:20 »
.....2 words to bring out much confusion...

legal issues

...fogs must only be able to be switched on with sidelights, and mounted less then 1200mm from ground

...spots must only come on with main beam.

this is my understanding of it, and i could well be wrong, no-one wants to say either way what you can and cant have... perhaps this should be a sticky in the modified vehicles section??

anyway, my next lights will be another set of spots on the winch bumper, and two William Anchor ( :wink: ) lights on the back for hunting saxo`s, tailgaters... and for reversing/rear working purposes...

help?

NB the MOT man asked if they were wired up "oh no, they are just for show!"

"...that will do for me"  :wink:

It has been said that, given enough time, a million monkeys bashing at a million typewriters would eventually produce the complete works of Shakespeare. Thanks to the Saxo forums, we now know this to be wrong

No oil leek = No oil left!

Offline Landynuts

Attack Member
WIRING FRONT SPOTS
« Reply #8 on: December 07, 2007, 22:37:21 »
Quote from: "Disco Matt"
The fun part, in my experience, was wiring the actual lights together. My bar came with four Wipac work lights, each of which were pre-wired. I did consider trying to rewire them but the 27 amp cable wouldn't fit through the holes in the light housing (especially as there'd have been two cables coming in and two going out, to wire them in parallel). In the end I was forced to build a power bus using 27a cable with the live and earth wires from each light spliced in appropriately (all joints soldered - I would never use scotchlocks on something drawing this many amps) and wrapped in copious amounts of insulation tape.

I wonder why you are using "27A" cable? If you are running 55W bulbs then max current is a little over 18A in the real world it is likely to me nearer 16A.
Navara 09 Outlaw
Disco 90 200 TDi
Yamaha TDM900 (for when 4 wheels is 2 to many)
Suzuki GT250 project

Offline Disco Matt

Attack Member
WIRING FRONT SPOTS
« Reply #9 on: December 07, 2007, 22:46:36 »
Quote from: "Landynuts"
Quote from: "Disco Matt"

I wonder why you are using "27A" cable? If you are running 55W bulbs then max current is a little over 18A in the real world it is likely to me nearer 16A.

I just tend to over-engineer these things to be on the safe side! It's not absurdly heavy cable and it gives a good safety margin over the 25A fuse.

Legality - What I have read elsewhere on here is that you are allowed up to six headlights, and as mentioned above spots must only be on with full beam. Mine can't be switched on without full beam so are fine from that angle.
1996 Discovery 300TDI. She's got it where it counts...

Offline Terranosaurus

Attack Member
WIRING FRONT SPOTS
« Reply #10 on: December 07, 2007, 22:47:51 »
Quote from: "Landynuts"

Why do you say that? Real world figure tend to be fractionally higher due to the fact that alternators run at about 14volt and thus nominal 55w bulbs are actually a bit more powerful than that and draw more current. You can't calculate it cos the resistance of the bulb changes as it gets hotter due to higher current being passed, but there is an effect that way. If you're seeing l;ess its probably due to voltage drop cos you're using cable barely up to the job, always over spec by a decent percentage, and personally always build for the maximum that might be used so build it for 100w bulbs even if planning to us 55w, you may want 100watters in the future and re doing from scratch would be a pain and expensive.
Nissan 4WD CLUB
Humber and Yorks 4x4 Response
PJ Parts - Motor Trade Workshop Consumables
2000Y 2.7TDi Terrano II
Raising money for Macmillan Cancer Support on the Mac 4x4 Challenge - www.justgiving.com/mac4x4nissan

Offline Range Rover Blues

Attack Member
    • South Yorkshire
WIRING FRONT SPOTS
« Reply #11 on: December 08, 2007, 01:27:46 »
Tell you what, mount the lamps to your car then bring it over one day with a fistfull of beer tokens and I'll do it for you :wink:
Blue,  1988  Range Rover 3.5 EFi with plenty of toys bolted on
Chuggaboom, 1995 Range Rover Classic
1995 Range Rover Classic Vogue LSE with 5 big sticks of Blackpool rock under the bonnet.

Offline kiteman0

Attack Member
WIRING FRONT SPOTS
« Reply #12 on: December 08, 2007, 08:59:08 »
Quote from: "Range Rover Blues"
Tell you what, mount the lamps to your car then bring it over one day with a fistfull of beer tokens and I'll do it for you :wink:

cheers for the offer,i've brought all the gear know.and if it stops raining today i will give it a go.i'm wiring them so that they come on with the main beam i'm also using a spare switch on the dash so they can be turned completely off.thanls for the  help.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal