AuthorTopic: ABS Fitting how easy or hard?  (Read 831 times)

Offline dod51e

• Attack: 100
    Defense: 100
    Attack Member
  • Referrals: 0
ABS Fitting how easy or hard?
« on: December 06, 2007, 13:30:31 »
I have just bought two 1992 RRC's.  A Vogue and a Vogue SE.  The Vogue is the one I will be keeping as it is in much better condition (body and mechanical) and has the advantage of LPG.  My only quandry is can the ABS system be swapped from the SE to the Vogue and how easy or should I say HARD will this be to do?  Has anyone tried it succesfully?  Oh, and I will also need to put the non-ABS system onto the SE. I.E. Swap them over.
Cheers

Offline Bowie

Attack Member
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2007, 18:16:28 »
Swap axles, ABS ECU and associated wiring, and the ABS unit under the bonnet....

Seriously, not worth it even slightly.
1980 SIII Lightweight 2.25 Petrol - completely standard.
1991 Range Rover Vogue SE 3.9 V8 - now on LPG (sorted!), 2" lift, mud tyres, and more to come...

Offline Range Rover Blues

Attack Member
    • South Yorkshire
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2007, 23:22:55 »
In your favour is that most accessorie fittings to the RRC are pretty much stand alone, the ABS no exception.  You will need the whole wiring loom for it, fitted into the dash etc.  You need the axles and master cylinder as said, I'm trying to thing what else.

I've heard of ABS being taken off before, which is easier.  TBH swapping the braking systems from 2 cars will be tough, inevitably you will have to cut bits off one to get it to fit the other, you'll end up short somewhere :?
Blue,  1988  Range Rover 3.5 EFi with plenty of toys bolted on
Chuggaboom, 1995 Range Rover Classic
1995 Range Rover Classic Vogue LSE with 5 big sticks of Blackpool rock under the bonnet.

Offline Evilgoat

Attack Member
« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2007, 09:32:41 »
Will the RR ABS ECU require re-initialisation, equalisation or whatever its called? I realise its an older unit but not sure if thats a Bosch or Generic thing that applies to the LRs too.
I must confess the the activities of the UK governments for the past couple of years have been watched with frank admiration and amazement by Lord Vetinari. Outright theft as a policy had never occured to him.

-- (Terry Pratchett, alt.fan.pratchett)

EX HK Police Mitsubishi Pajero 2.8TD
Audi S2 Avant 360bhp
Transit LWB 2.5di (The Shed)

Attack Member
    • South Yorkshire
« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2007, 01:21:31 »
The ECU is farily easy to deal with, the fault cades can be reset with the blink test and AFAIK it is not 'coded' to the original chassis, you can swap them car to car.
1995 Range Rover Classic Vogue LSE with 5 big sticks of Blackpool rock under the bonnet.

Offline dod51e

Attack Member
« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2007, 23:25:31 »
Enough said!  Many thanks guys.  Having read your posts and delved a little deeper benieth the bonnet I have decided to apply the same philosphy to it as British car manufacturers do to quality control.......... Don't bother!!!!!  But the next option WILL be done...swapping electric leather seats and the wiring!!!  Must buy another few watches so as to give me more time.
Thanks again.

Attack Member
    • South Yorkshire
« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2007, 00:03:11 »
Ahhh, now that is a much easier job.  The hardest part is getting the rear seats unbolted, closely followed by finding some switches that work.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal