AuthorTopic: London Congestion  (Read 946 times)

Offline Yoshi

• Attack: 100
    Defense: 100
    Attack Member
  • Referrals: 0
London Congestion
« on: December 02, 2007, 14:27:09 »
Am just watching one of the old "Police Stop!" programs from a long time ago, and they categorically state what the problem is causing congestion in london.  

Its not 4x4's its the people who stop on yellow hatchings at traffic lights blocking the routes!!!

1995 Discovery XS 300TDi 4" lift and ready to go!

There is no devil, theres only god when he's drunk - Tom Waits.

Offline Oli-L

Attack Member
London Congestion
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2007, 15:51:48 »
:lol:  I saw that to, especially that london bus  :roll:  muppet.

Offline Yoshi

Attack Member
London Congestion
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2007, 16:23:17 »
Yeah, i think it was more the cars that were turning right as well when they werent sposed to!

Offline MudRat

Attack Member
« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2007, 16:35:49 »
u can stop on a yellow box, only if there is no other option, ie the car in front that you followed had suddenly stopped, otherwise, keep clear

Offline Skibum346

Attack Member
  • T. A. N. S. T. A. A. F. L.
Re: 4
« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2007, 17:07:31 »
Quote from: "MudRat"
u can stop on a yellow box, only if there is no other option, ie the car in front that you followed had suddenly stopped, otherwise, keep clear

You may only enter a yellow box junction if the exit is clear, unless when turning right and oncoming traffic prevents you from exiting.

Learnt that as a nipper when road rules adverts were on telly... stuck with me since... amazing the number of people that get a simple rule wrong!  :roll:

Offline Jake

• Regional Rep
    Attack Member
  • <insert witty comment here>
    • South Molton, Devon. UK
London Congestion
« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2007, 17:07:47 »
Quote from: "Highway Code"

Box junctions. These have criss-cross yellow lines painted on the road (see 'Road markings'). You MUST NOT enter the box until your exit road or lane is clear. However, you may enter the box and wait when you want to turn right, and are only stopped from doing so by oncoming traffic, or by other vehicles waiting to turn right. At signalled roundabouts you MUST NOT enter the box unless you can cross over it completely without stopping.

Jake

Owner - Land Rover Discovery 2
Driver - Land Rover Defender 100" Trayback

Offline beast5680

• Regional Rep
    Attack Member
    • hailsham east sussex
London Congestion
« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2007, 19:38:21 »
Quote from: "Jake"

Box junctions. These have criss-cross yellow lines painted on the road (see 'Road markings'). You MUST NOT enter the box until your exit road or lane is clear. However, you may enter the box and wait when you want to turn right, and are only stopped from doing so by oncoming traffic, or by other vehicles waiting to turn right. At signalled roundabouts you MUST NOT enter the box unless you can cross over it completely without stopping.

unless you drive a van or truck on multi drop then they are the only way you can get across the traffic  :lol:
Neal

let him that hath understanding reckon the number of the beast

He, who laughs last, laughs best. He who laughs at Chuck Norris dies.

Offline Thrasher

• Administrator
    Attack Member
    • Northampton
London Congestion
« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2007, 19:41:08 »
{70's style advert music}

Ooooh-er ... I've been pinched!

{/70's style advert music}

I can't understand why people cannot understand such a basic rule, and the same with the numpties that do not understand the SAME rule for a roundabout! DO NOT get on if you can't get off!!!!
--
Neil

Offline MuddyMike

Attack Member
    • Leyburn, N. Yorkshire
London Congestion
« Reply #8 on: December 02, 2007, 19:48:58 »
OK as we are taking questions on the highway code how about this then, a question from the theory driving test.

When approaching a tunnel is it good advise to;
a. Put on your sunglasses
b. Check tyre pressure,
c. Change to a lower gear.
d. Tune your radio to a local channel

Mike
If you can't get there in a Land Rover you can't get there

Self built Range Rover/Lightweight hybrid (yes the one with yellow wheels)

Offline TDi90

Attack Member
  • Rolly - Under Construction...
London Congestion
« Reply #9 on: December 02, 2007, 20:03:17 »
its D

wohoooo i pass.
TDi90
~The DFYTR Moderation Team~

Offline Disco Matt

Attack Member
London Congestion
« Reply #10 on: December 02, 2007, 21:12:39 »
I want to know how I'm supposed to do B while moving at 60mph+...
1996 Discovery 300TDI. She's got it where it counts...

Offline Niel

Attack Member
Re: 4
« Reply #11 on: December 02, 2007, 23:16:22 »
Quote from: "Skibum346"
Quote from: "MudRat"

You may only enter a yellow box junction if the exit is clear, unless when turning right and oncoming traffic prevents you from exiting.

Learnt that as a nipper when road rules adverts were on telly... stuck with me since... amazing the number of people that get a simple rule wrong!  :roll:

Including the TFL enforcement lot, quite a lot of drivers get fines in the post for stopping legally in the box, too few fight it though, easy money for Ken and co...

Offline burgerman

Attack Member
  • Referrals: 1
London Congestion
« Reply #12 on: December 03, 2007, 10:38:22 »
Quote from: "MuddyMike"
OK as we are taking questions on the highway code how about this then, a question from the theory driving test.

When approaching a tunnel is it good advise to;
a. Put on your sunglasses
b. Check tyre pressure,
c. Change to a lower gear.
d. Tune your radio to a local channel

Mike
 i would change down a gear ------- Then floor it  :twisted:  sound s lovely :lol:
TD5 with a few Tweaks ;o)
a bit more fuel friendly than the V8

London Congestion
« Reply #13 on: December 04, 2007, 15:54:59 »
Quote from: "beast5680"

unless you drive a van or truck on multi drop then they are the only way you can get across the traffic  :lol:

That’s all well and good unless you drive in London every box junction and waited for the traffic to clear you would end up in hospital as the drivers behind would take their frustration out on you!!! It would also cheer ken Livingstone up no end because the traffic would grind to a halt and he would have yet another excuse to tax the motorists

And while we are on the subject of driving correctly why is it that most people who drive on the motorway don’t know how to drive? They sit in the middle lane at 65 MPH because they might overtake the truck 2 miles in the distance in a couple of hours. Doesn’t anyone know the Highway Code? And forgive me ladies but you are the worst offenders with OAPs a close second and people who drive 4x4s a very close third.
(I drive a disco but it won’t go fast enough to go in the outside lanes lol)

Offline Yoshi

Attack Member
London Congestion
« Reply #14 on: December 04, 2007, 16:01:28 »
Quote from: "alanb"

That’s all well and good unless you drive in London every box junction and waited for the traffic to clear you would end up in hospital as the drivers behind would take their frustration out on you!!! It would also cheer ken Livingstone up no end because the traffic would grind to a halt and he would have yet another excuse to tax the motorists

And while we are on the subject of driving correctly why is it that most people who drive on the motorway don’t know how to drive? They sit in the middle lane at 65 MPH because they might overtake the truck 2 miles in the distance in a couple of hours. Doesn’t anyone know the Highway Code? And forgive me ladies but you are the worst offenders with OAPs a close second and people who drive 4x4s a very close third.

Then you aint driving it right!!!

London Congestion
« Reply #15 on: December 04, 2007, 16:15:05 »
Quote from: "BadgersRover"

Then you aint driving it right!!!

No its just that I need to replace the engine lmao

Offline fasthands

Attack Member
London Congestion
« Reply #16 on: December 04, 2007, 16:17:38 »
MIDDLE LANERS!!! :twisted:  :twisted:  :twisted:  :twisted:  :twisted:  The A38 is a nightmare for this!! usually women on their phones, in a little MX5or similar oblivious of what is behind them or around them, or old folk in their Rover 75.
funny how women spend so much time looking into mirrors but can't use them when driving. If you get a good woman driver, she will probably be better than most men, but there are few of them.There is no reasonably good women drivers. They are either brilliant or crap! sorry if I offend some people but I don't care on this subject. because it is true. spacial awareness you just ain't got it ladies!! :lol:  :lol:  :lol:
Land Rover repair guide, Don't fix anything, because if you do something else always breaks, so fix nothing and nothing will break!!!

Offline Disco Matt

Attack Member
London Congestion
« Reply #17 on: December 04, 2007, 16:32:40 »
I have come up behind MPVs doddering around at 60 in the middle lane of an empty motorway, crossed all three lanes to pass them legally and then moved back. They didn't take the slightest bit of notice!

Offline V8MoneyPit

Attack Member
London Congestion
« Reply #18 on: December 04, 2007, 17:14:51 »
Quote from: "Disco Matt"
I have come up behind MPVs doddering around at 60 in the middle lane of an empty motorway, crossed all three lanes to pass them legally and then moved back. They didn't take the slightest bit of notice!

And worse still....
You approach them and flash your lights.... They pull in, then pull back out after you have passed  :shock:
Some people obviously think they are meant to be driving in the middle lane!
Rgds
Steve

"Reality is wrong. Dreams are for real."

Land Rover build:
www.daisythediesel.com

Photos (my other passion and weakness):
http://www.flickr.com/photos/v8moneypit/

London Congestion
« Reply #19 on: December 04, 2007, 17:24:09 »
your lucky they pull over at all!!! and normally even if they do, they give you the finger for making them pull into the slow lane (oppps there is no slow lane thats the lane for driving in the others are overtaking lanes)

Offline V8MoneyPit

Attack Member
London Congestion
« Reply #20 on: December 04, 2007, 17:27:08 »
They certainly wake up when your forward facing lights are approaching 600W  :twisted: Of course, I would never suggest using roof lights on the public road, you understand  O:)
Rgds
Steve

"Reality is wrong. Dreams are for real."

Land Rover build:
www.daisythediesel.com

Photos (my other passion and weakness):
http://www.flickr.com/photos/v8moneypit/

London Congestion
« Reply #21 on: December 04, 2007, 17:35:31 »
No I agree totally Steve they should not be used on public roads, lol but then again most of the people who drive in the middle lane would not be affected (they seem to be blind to all of the traffic anyway just their guide dogs, and I for one am against cruelty to animals  :wink:

Offline Disco Matt

Attack Member
London Congestion
« Reply #22 on: December 04, 2007, 17:51:53 »
You don't need roof lights to make a nuisance of yourself. Some people manage it perfectly well with just their normal headlights...

Offline andycwb

Attack Member
London Congestion
« Reply #23 on: December 05, 2007, 09:40:56 »

Not me mate, I'm usually doing 85 in the outside lane.

My pet peeve, though, is the fact that most of the congestion in London is deliberately created to justify scams like the CONgestion charge.  Look at the M4 bus lane: all it's done is to extend the congestion back almost to the M25 in the mornings.  Why did they close one side of Trafalgar square?   Why all the one way systems to make you drive three times as far to get anywhere?  All to create more congestion, to justify expanding the congestion charge zone, and burn more fuel and earn more tax revenue for the government.
"You came here in *that thing*?  You're braver than I thought."
Td5 Discovery, TD5 Alive Re-Map, QT Diff Guards, Safari Snorkel
Steering Guard, FT-8900 radio, roof rack

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal