Offline scott.l.

• Attack: 100
    Defense: 100
    Attack Member
  • Referrals: 0
Wales??
« on: November 29, 2007, 12:52:19 »
Hi all,
We are heading off to Snowdonia National Park in Jan for a short break. We have never been to Wales and wondered if you have any suggestions for things to do and see over there?
The whole family is going so keeping the kids happy is high on the agenda. (2 year old and 6 Year old)

Cheers....

Offline discowoman

Attack Member
  • my own worst enemy!!
    • Gornal West Midlands
Wales??
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2007, 18:10:35 »
LOads to do in Wales - plenty of Popular beaches, and also lots of secluded ones too - loads of historic museums, and local history stuff too...BIG PIT, and the SLATE museum spring to mind, try the narrow gauge railways too...try and get across to ABERAERON too as the kids love it there (looks like BALAMORY - LOL) also has a Great ice cream parlour on the harbour front ;)

Offline GREENI

Attack Member
Wales??
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2007, 20:23:17 »
Quote from: "frontywoman"
LOads to do in Wales - plenty of Popular beaches, and also lots of secluded ones too - loads of historic museums, and local history stuff too...BIG PIT, and the SLATE museum spring to mind, try the narrow gauge railways too...try and get across to ABERAERON too as the kids love it there (looks like BALAMORY - LOL) also has a Great ice cream parlour on the harbour front ;)

YOU FORGOT TO MENTION ALL THE LANES !!!

Offline scott.l.

Attack Member
Wales??
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2007, 16:45:35 »
Cheers for that. Will staying near Denbigh, and fully intend to grab an OS map to check the byways, but hope to get confirmation from someone to confirm which are ok to drive. (TRO's and all that...)
We plan to do 1 days hill walking and maybe a day with 'Proadventures' doing silly stuff. :D

Apart from that there seems so much to do, that we will not be bored!!!

I can feel a second trip coming on and we havent even been ther yet!!

Thanks,
Scott.

Offline V8MoneyPit

Attack Member
Wales??
« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2007, 16:49:35 »
It's a bit far south from where you are going, but I'll second the suggestion of Big Pit. Excellent experience.
Rgds
Steve

"Reality is wrong. Dreams are for real."

Land Rover build:
www.daisythediesel.com

Photos (my other passion and weakness):
http://www.flickr.com/photos/v8moneypit/

Offline scott.l.

Attack Member
Wales??
« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2007, 07:40:34 »
errrrrr........

Whats the 'Big Pit'................?

:D

Offline gtomo2

Attack Member
Wales??
« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2007, 20:22:59 »
Were to start north wales my birth place. So much to do and see best thing is look here http://www.nwt.co.uk/home.php  but do take a run up the A5 to Betws Y Coed and down to Llangollen and but ver the horse shoe pass . Or a nice run to Bala and take the back road to Llyn Efyrnwy. And dont forget To vist Beddgelert. And the slate mines at Blaenau Ffestiniog the list could go on and on. loads the see and do as well as Beaumaris court and jail and Newbrough beech and the sea zoo. as well as bull  bay. And they you have Portmirrion were they filmed "The Prisoner" they have a look around black rock sands. like i say so much to do and see. Cant name them all.
Mr Graeme Thomas (tomo)
300 TDi Discovery - So i can go fording
Stop laughing put the camera down AND PASS ME THE TOW ROPE !! PLEASE

Offline scott.l.

Attack Member
Re: Wales??
« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2008, 11:41:23 »
Hi all,
Just to let you know we have just returned from an excellent few days in Wales. Shocking to know that we didn't do ANY lanes as we just never had time!

Cottage we stayed at was advertised as remote with trackway access, and sure enough we had to negotiate a steep track everyday to get to our cottage and thankgod it didn't snow to bad otherwise it would be a winch job to get out!

We did two days of walking. Our two year old was strapped to my back, so I am now aching from head to toe! First walk was around Llyn Idwal lake which was recommended by a walking shop, and was a nice easy walk. Second days walk was up the Watkin Path at the back of Snowdon, but instead of going all the way up we walked up to the slate cottages and then came back down on the Cwm Llan.

The next day we had booked with 'ProAdventures' who are based in Llangollen. I can highly recommend them as they had me and my 6 year old son rock climbing up a 50ft rock face and then abseiled down again, and then in the afternoon my wife and son Kayaked up the canal.

It was a super weekend, and will certinally be back.

Thanks all for your info.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal