AuthorTopic: Overlanders in Norfolk area??  (Read 3571 times)

Offline scott.l.

• Attack: 100
    Defense: 100
    Attack Member
  • Referrals: 0
Overlanders in Norfolk area??
« on: November 28, 2007, 16:05:17 »
Hi,
I am wondering if there is anyone out there with an interest in Overlanding who lives around the Norfolk area?

Even though I have driven Land Rovers all my life, I am only now getting the interest in using my 110 CSW for Overland trips. I am in the process of kitting it out and have had very useful info from another forum, but would be keen to hear from anyone local to me with same interest, so I can grab ideas and advice over a pint.
We have done Norway and had a little trip to France and Belgium. In 2008 we are booked for Morocco, and are looking at other areas to go.
I travel a lot for work but since kids and a wife have appeared, the travel bug has extended to the rest of the family!

Cheers,
Scott.

Offline zacspeed

Attack Member
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2007, 22:26:30 »
Hi Scott,
I've recently been bitten by the overland bug too, although mine are just pipe dreams at present as finances don't allow it at present  :(
I'm assuming the other forum you've been on is The Hubb?

I've found reading some of the many journals on the net have been very inspirational, with great ideas for kit required, carnet/visa issues, local information etc. Some of the most enjoyable ones are:

Long Road Trip South

Tembo & The Dustsuckers

And the obvious one, Lone Wolf Transglobal Expedition

It would be great to hook up & check out your 110 though, PM me if you're intrested  :D

Offline scott.l.

Attack Member
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2007, 07:49:40 »
Hi Zacspeed,
Overland shouldn't have to cripple you with expense. Sure, the further away and exotic places the more it will cost, but if you have a sense of advernture, a 4x4 and a tent, then your halfway there!!

No don't know about 'The hubb'??

I have been using LRM own forums.

Yeah, been reading Lone Wolfs journals and I thought it was a shame he missed out Africa, but what an experience!!!

I am away for work just now and 'silly season' is around the corner, so lets grab a beer in early 2008???

Scott.

Offline Africa Jack

Attack Member
overlanding
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2007, 11:20:41 »
If anyone is wanting any info on Africa - mainly Kenya and south- I know SA, Botswana,Zambia,Malawi,Namibia and Mozambique the best. I can offer plenty of info. I am currently building up and preping a Disco to ship to South Africa for 6 months in March 08. I completed Cape Town to UK about 18 months ago in a 200 Disco. Can offer time for discussions at my place.
Retired after operating my own outback safari business in Africa & Australia. Completed 18 trans Africa trips.

Offline zacspeed

Attack Member
« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2007, 21:48:37 »
Quote from: "scott.l."
No don't know about 'The hubb'??

The Hubb <--- Clicky link  :wink:

It's a motorcycle based forum but there are threads dedicated to 4x4 too.

Offline L90OOK

Attack Member
    • Somerset
« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2007, 23:50:35 »
Is that Mr Laddisman?  Welcome to Mud Club

Jamie...Norway 2007 (Devon)  :wink:
Did everyone see that?  Because I will NOT be doing it again!

Offline scott.l.

Attack Member
« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2007, 05:32:38 »
Hi Jamie.........

See what your lot has done to me!!!  My son is no longer happy unless we have roofrack full and are off somewhere camping / exploring.

That brief meeting on the ferry has cost me!!  LOL.......

Thanks for pointing me in the direction of this site, must get down to you someday for a beer and a dive!

Scott.

Offline windowlicker

Attack Member
Re: overlanding
« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2008, 09:17:00 »
If anyone is wanting any info on Africa - mainly Kenya and south- I know SA, Botswana,Zambia,Malawi,Namibia and Mozambique the best. I can offer plenty of info. I am currently building up and preping a Disco to ship to South Africa for 6 months in March 08. I completed Cape Town to UK about 18 months ago in a 200 Disco. Can offer time for discussions at my place.

was it this disco 200 the reason i ask is that my cousin bought a 200tdi of a mudcluber who had just come back from cape town around the time you did

Offline Africa Jack

Attack Member
Re: Overlanders in Norfolk area??
« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2008, 08:53:29 »
A very interesting South African web site is  www.overland.co.za   Try it.
Retired after operating my own outback safari business in Africa & Australia. Completed 18 trans Africa trips.

Offline MuddyMike

Attack Member
    • Leyburn, N. Yorkshire
Re: Overlanders in Norfolk area??
« Reply #9 on: March 18, 2008, 14:50:57 »
Hi,
I am wondering if there is anyone out there with an interest in Overlanding who lives around the Norfolk area?

Hello Scott
I have been away from Norfolk for nearly 4 years, but when I left there was a group within the Breckland Land Rover club who were doing a fair bit of overlanding with trips to Africa etc.

Mike

If you can't get there in a Land Rover you can't get there

Self built Range Rover/Lightweight hybrid (yes the one with yellow wheels)

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal