AuthorTopic: Head Gaskets :(  (Read 645 times)

Offline barriesheene

• Attack: 100
    Defense: 100
    Attack Member
  • Referrals: 0
Head Gaskets :(
« on: November 28, 2007, 15:52:18 »
Look's as though I've got a head gasket gone  :cry:  White smoke,lots when cold, milky gloop in oil filler and slow water loss but no leak's  :roll: [ed: naughty] when cold to. I've been quoted £350 by my local and trusted garage which I think is a really good price. I was going to do it myself but it would take me a lot longer than the 7.5 hours quoted by them and it's very cold and wet outside at the mo  :lol:  :lol:  Could it be something else common to rangies that I havnt heard about ?? How else could you burn water on a v8??????
CBR900RR FIREBLADE ( urban tiger GGRRRRRR !!!!!) SOLD needed money to fix the rangie
2.5 PAJERO LWB EXCEED
AVONDALE MAYFLY SOLD needed money to fix the rangie
RANGEROVER 3.9 V8 STRAIGHT THROUGH EXHAUST AND VERY MUDDY :) makes me laugh everytime i rev it

Offline Range Rover Blues

• Attack: 100
    Defense: 100
    Attack Member
    • South Yorkshire
  • Referrals: 0
Head Gaskets :(
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2007, 23:48:42 »
Sorry to hear that, but it happens.  There is the urban legend of slipped liners/porous block but TBH I'd just do the head gasket, look at the liners whilst it's apart though.

The gaskets will set you back about £50 but I'd strongly advise having the heads skimmed and lapping the valves in.  Use composite head gaskets which are thicker but more reliable.  Essential if you have the heads skimmed.
Blue,  1988  Range Rover 3.5 EFi with plenty of toys bolted on
Chuggaboom, 1995 Range Rover Classic
1995 Range Rover Classic Vogue LSE with 5 big sticks of Blackpool rock under the bonnet.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal